1/35 M48A3 Patton Tank (Group Build)

Jim Wasley

Hi all just kicked off the Patton Group build with the Tamiya kit,it's an old kit but still stands the test of time,looks like it was to have been a running tank as it has placements for batteries,and holes that I'm not sure should be there,just glued up some of the running gear and cleaned some seam lines,will put up threads as I progress,Cheers.

tn_dc76cd8b-a5db-4173-a1a4-41cdf52bd1f0.tn_4c1376dd-72d2-472e-acf9-fa09ec756a54.

• Like 5

Hi @Jim Wasley. I have moved your thread to the correct section for the Patton STGB.

Welcome on board! Good to see you here and good to see your progress so far. Looking forward to seeing more.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi @Jim Wasley. I have moved your thread to the correct section for the Patton STGB.

Welcome on board! Good to see you here and good to see your progress so far. Looking forward to seeing more.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix,Sorry for the mix up?but I did ask were to place the build and I was told to start a WIP thread in the non group build area,someone has their wires crossed,Confused???

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jim Wasley said:

Thanks Stix,Sorry for the mix up?but I did ask were to place the build and I was told to start a WIP thread in the non group build area,someone has their wires crossed,Confused???

No problem Jim. Well at least you are here in the right place now! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Jim Wasley said:

Hi all just kicked off the Patton Group build with the Tamiya kit,it's an old kit but still stands the test of time,looks like it was to have been a running tank as it has placements for batteries,and holes that I'm not sure should be there,just glued up some of the running gear and cleaned some seam lines,will put up threads as I progress,Cheers.

Almost all Tamiya armor from the 70s era were intended to be 'carpet crawlers' with motorization. Some even came in remote controlled versions as well. Good luck with your build.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

My apologies if i didn't explain it  better Jim. I re-read the post and can see where i goofed up.  Im happy to see its down here now though thanks to Stix. 

Thanks mate,just me having a seniors moment,have the white stick and see and eye-dog on the way,Cheers.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Hi Jim. Nice to have your company on this GB.

John.

Thanks John,have not built any armour for sometime,lost a bit of interest in it,I have a wall full of it,but always glad to see other modellers work.Have been enjoying the 28mm figures I have been painting,doing a few Napoleonics and find the reading about it very interesting,Cheers.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Plasto said:

Hi Jim,

looking good.. if it’s for the Patton GB currently running you might want to post down in the GB Thread for the Patton GB. 

Cheers

Plasto..

Thanks Plasto,and yes it has found its way here.Cheers.

On 4/2/2019 at 1:35 PM, Jim Wasley said:

tn_dc76cd8b-a5db-4173-a1a4-41cdf52bd1f0.tn_4c1376dd-72d2-472e-acf9-fa09ec756a54.

Some more work on the underside filled the screw holes with green putty and plastic card for the square holes,wanted them to look like metal plates,cut out the engine cover and split the back cover,want these to be open.Cheers. 

Some more work on the undercarriage,and primed,other parts.Cheers.

tn_5f204f08-6572-4e46-9cb6-fb6495c73d5f.tn_3fcdd97e-1fc9-40ed-999f-9ac4de99c1c5.tn_f6bc9022-c972-4ccc-9d30-ece796009459.

tn_d8a5523a-49c0-4e23-97be-b941fd7bcf47.

• Like 6

A little more progess,what happens when you wake at 1am,we have just gone out of daylight saving as well.Some of the parts are just blu-tacked on,will find a permanent home when the paint goes on.And yes the guy is wondering where the motors gone?Cheers.

tn_bf137022-0860-4bb4-80fc-7acb349cb791.tn_adfe8635-7fb0-4091-8ec6-8e1456c8601b.tn_cde9d4d5-ac30-4e1f-84aa-a3e248415994.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Im curious are you going for a landmine knockout, or a scrapyard look ? Either way it should look pretty good when painted up, with all of the extras in place. 

I can't lay claim to the idea,saw this pic online,and tell the truth I don't know,think it looks like it's in for repairs,or it's a donor Tank.I'm just building it as you see it with what I have laying around in the spares box.Cheers.

tn_f50a6591-60be-4659-888c-1a45c89184f6.

• Like 5

Swift progress and a great set-up for the diorama, Jim. I envy those who can build so quickly, yet maintain a high standard of work.

I decided a week or so ago, that my Tiger I was going to be in a similar state when that STGB comes. Whether I actually get round to a diorama or not is a different matter.

I look forward to your next update.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

Some more progress as you can see it has paint and I am now adding all the detail,which is in my spares box,I have not gone to any extra expense with this Tank,realy just O.O.B build with what I have or can build,found another figure which I think complements the other figure,The colour on this Tank is just acrylic,and I nomally do washes but this time I thought I would try just doing pastel shades to change the colour,as most of the Tanks I saw on line really are very dusty,and I think it is working out fine,well I'm happy with it.

Cheers Jim.

tn_72ad3326-8e6e-4ca6-99a1-6942cc6f5764.tn_efd70a0f-c83a-4f39-8bb2-4d858b60fcbe.tn_d7c74a74-3a58-4045-90e5-968be94f9b7b.

• Like 5

I finished my build this morning,so have posted pics of the final build,(there is one for you John,think you'll know which one,The Devil made me do it :devil: ),Thanks to all for your kind comments on my build,and thanks Corsairfoxfouruncle for letting me be apart of this build.

Cheers Jim.

tn_9f129e40-ed40-40ca-8172-ff44a83bd323.tn_6be9c876-7f51-4617-a6df-68cf51df0e7f.tn_bb48d2dd-bd45-44a8-b40d-20e07e2591a3.tn_fa109ac2-fd06-41d3-827f-090c83a0182d.tn_9347d3b0-c34c-4f0b-966a-b8c4f79a5ca1.tn_bcb045a8-e8bd-415d-84f5-011de040356c.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Thanks for joining Jim. The simplicity of this vignette is its quality, and it was a quick build on top of that. 

Dennis

PS - Dont forget to post your 5 photo’s in the gallery, its here on the build page. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1