Airfix Messerschmitt Bf 110C - 1/72

Hello all - Just finished my Airfix 110. Built pretty much OOB - added some Eduard seatbelts, some Mig rigging for the antenna and replaced the under side circular antenna with some wire. I attempted to improve the cockpit details with some scratch built elements. I used the kit scheme - Staffel II / Zerstorergeschwadar 1, Northern France 1940-1941. The scheme is very dark - RLM 70 / 71 so I attempted a very worn air frame look to try and make it a little more interesting - I think this was successful but I sacrificed colour accuracy in the process. The kit itself is far from an accurate representation so I wasn't too concerned. Still, I'm pretty happy with the result. Tried a bunch of new techniques and learned alot. I've got the Eduard version which is far more accurate so it will be interesting to see them side by side when that's completed. For the cost, this is a very nice kit and was fun to build. There were plenty of fit issues but not too bad - lots of sanding and some putty work will be required - quite typical for some airfix kits in this scale. Decals were very nice - I added swastikas from XtraDecal. The kit comes with a good selection of long distance fuel tanks and bombs - however I opted for a clean fit out as I love the lines on this aircraft. Painted with Tamiya Acrylics, different brands of oils and pigments for the weathering. 

I had difficulty photographing this model - the colours change quite dramatically depending on the light which is how it behaves in real life... so the photos do represent this. 

RfiRfiRfiRfiRfiRfiRfiRfiRfiRfiRfiRFIRFIRfi

There's a wip here for anyone who's interested - with a bonus side thread on New Zealand beer :)

Thanks for looking - comments and criticism is welcome. 

Cheers

John

• Like 51

It looks really good from here. I've built one of these new Airfix 110, they are OK, but the Eduard still better detail and overall fitting.

Very well done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Reward yourself with a beer or three for this (I'd  send you a Hogs Back TEA but it probably won't travel that far).

Cracking finish and the photos are pretty good as well, brilliant actually(I'm going to pester you on your next build as to what you're using for that).

Great stuff, now, anyone for a Mac's Gold?

Geoff 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Bugle07 said:

Cracking finish and the photos are pretty good as well, brilliant actually (I'm going to pester you on your next build as to what you're using for that).

An iPhone 7, apparently (click on the photo so that it opens in its native host, then look for the camera details - most people leave them attached). Add lots of light and almost any current phone sensor will do pretty good job of making an image. Truth is, lots of light is ALWAYS a good idea when you're photographing models, regardless of what camera you're using. Also, a support of some sort is good too - I have a mobile phone holder to fit my tripod which works quite well for those 'less serious' images.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Rob G said:

I have a mobile phone holder to fit my tripod which works quite well for those 'less serious' images.

It’s a brilliant idea, Rob!

6 hours ago, Kitchen Modeller said:

I had difficulty photographing this model - the colours change quite dramatically depending on the light which is how it behaves in real life... so the photos do represent this.

Anyway, it’s a very good pictures and an excellent build! :like: The weathering job on the wings looks superb. Congratulations with this wonderful build, John! 🙂

Cheers! 😎

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ArmouredSprue said:

I've built one of these new Airfix 110, they are OK, but the Eduard still better detail and overall fitting.

Thanks AS - I'm looking forward to building the Eduard version - the kit looks very nice... 

6 hours ago, Bugle07 said:

(I'm going to pester you on your next build as to what you're using for that).

As Rob said, I used an iphone 7 :) My method is: I have an A2 white sheet of thick paper that I rest against a fruit bowl so it bends upwards - place the model on that and then set up 3 desk lamps with paper towels taped across them - the towels defuse the light. It's a bit of a hassle to set up but you get nicer pictures - however, I still don't have enough light as far I'm concerned - we're planning to move house fairly soon so I'm putting off buying some decent lights until that happens.  You can't have too much light as Rob suggests. Putting the phone on a tripod is a great idea also - especially for the close ups - I'd like to post more close ups but none were in good enough focus - a tripod set up would fix that I'd imagine. 

40 minutes ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Congratulations with this wonderful build, John

Thanks Nikolay and thanks for following the build..! 

• Like 3

Nice job there John. That RLM 70/71 scheme can be tricksy can't it, the two colours don't contrast very well.

You've done a cracking job on painting the canopy too!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Rob G said:

Manfrotto do a quite excellent mini tripod and clamp set.

Thanks, Rob! My father has some tripods and a monopod from SLIK: http://slik.com/, but I’m never thought about using it for modelling needs. 🤔

Cheers! 😎

• Like 1

HI, 

you did an excellent job there. And indeed it`s amazing how colours changes by various lights.  To use a tripod is always a good thing. The problem by photogarphing models is the depth of field. 

As you can see on your pic`s. Mostley the center is sharp and the rest will be a little bit unsharp.  I use a Panasonic FZ 150 and also a Fuji Finepix wich has a lot of pixel  ( 4600- 3500) . So if you take pic`s from a little distance you can crop it afterwards an will get fantastic sharp results and even good resolution ( Mostly)  😎

Thx for sharing

Andy

• Thanks 1

Wow!  Looks great - much better than my build of the same kit (which is why it won't appear on any threads here).

We know the Eduard example is the last word in detail & accuracy; but your build certainly gives the Airfix new-tool a strong showing.

Awesome work.

:goodjob:

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Roger Newsome said:

Nice finish John and a very good work in progress thread.

Thanks Roger :)

13 hours ago, Doug Rogers said:

That RLM 70/71 scheme can be tricksy can't it, the two colours don't contrast very well.

Thanks Doug - the 2 colours do indeed blend - this became apparent when I tested the 2 side by side - in certain light, it's hard to tell them apart. That's the reason I went with such a worn out look on the upper side. Also, it was fun doing it:) 

12 hours ago, Andy Dyck said:

The problem by photogarphing models is the depth of field.

Thanks for your comments Andy - You're quite correct of course and this is where taking photos with a smart phone isn't great. This is actually the biggest model I've done so trying to get a shot where everything was in focus was impossible. Next time, I'll attempt to use an SLR and see if that makes things easier. I loved your downed FW190 btw :)

12 hours ago, Smithy said:

Looking forward to watching the big scale Dora too

Thanks Smithy - I'm probably not going to do a WIP on the Dora - I want to get it done reasonably soon - and I'm anticipating that a bigger scale will stretch out the build time so it's purely a time saving decision. It will appear in RFI when complete obviously... :) Started it last night... 

11 hours ago, kapam said:

but your build certainly gives the Airfix new-tool a strong showing

Thanks Kapam - I'm very happy you think so - that was one of my goals on this... Like many here, I have a real soft spot for Airfix:) 

• Like 2

That's a great '110 😎 and although I'm a huge Airfix fan those panel lines are huge and need filling and rescribing. Not sure but the engine nacelles should fair in before the flaps not on the flaps.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, FAAMAN said:

That's a great '110 😎 and although I'm a huge Airfix fan those panel lines are huge and need filling and rescribing. Not sure but the engine nacelles should fair in before the flaps not on the flaps.

Thanks FAAMAN - the inaccuracies of this kit are well documented - you're correct on both points plus I'll add that the panel lines on the underside are in the wrong places and the canopy is very thick... If you wanted to make this kit more accurate, you could fill and rescribe the panel lines and re sculpt the nacelles - though you would have a hard time doing that I think. The plastic is quite thin along here so you'd need to use alot of putty. But all doable of course. This was a just a fun build for me on this occasion - I'll be building the Eduard version is is far more accurate and representative of the 110 though I'm sure it will be more challenging... 

Thanks for that Kitchen, wasn't aware of (more likely didn't remember) the probs, almost bought one on Friday last but ended up with some cool 72nd Revell kits instead.

Is there a thread detailing this Airfix '110's probs? Is it as bad as the simply hideous Airfix A-4B Skyhawk. I will be getting an Aifix '110 sooner or later to go with my Frog '110G Nachtjager.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, FAAMAN said:

Is there a thread detailing this Airfix '110's probs? Is it as bad as the simply hideous Airfix A-4B Skyhawk.

Not that I'm aware of - You could take a look at the WIP (link in my intro) if you want to take a look at the nitty gritty with building this kit - The kit is pretty straightforward and easy enough to build as long as you can live with the shortcomings...

6 hours ago, F-32 said:

That is an absolutely cracking piece of work, love the scheme

Thanks F-32 :)

• 2 weeks later...