1/72 - Douglas AD-4W/AEW.1 Skyraider by Sword Models- released - new Avalon decals

Homebee

5 hours ago, 71chally said:

I think some at least may have, the one in the main Flickr image above doesn't seem to have black on the underside stripes, harder to tell on the fuselage but they seem darker- perhaps an optical illusion.

I seem to recall seeing a B&W image of one and not seeing any tonal variation between the dark blue and what would have been black stripes.

Edit, ah @Tailspin Turtle I think this is where the confusion of the yellow only being applied underside and the rest in white came from, reading Daves post again I think he meant that only the yellow, ie not black, stripes was applied underside.

Yes, you can see it on the colour image on Flickr, and on another in FAA Squadrons book (414/WT984). The father of a friend was on HMS eagle at Suez and said he painted the aircraft with 'blue and yellow' stripes.

There is a pic of an Albion aircraft ( WV179 424/C) that seems to show definitely black and yellow stripes.

I did get my left and right mixed up on the LSO/Angle stripes, they should be on the left side

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Like 1

On 8/24/2019 at 2:34 PM, Dave Fleming said:

Yes, you can see it on the colour image on Flickr, and on another in FAA Squadrons book (414/WT984). The father of a friend was on HMS eagle at Suez and said he painted the aircraft with 'blue and yellow' stripes.

There is a pic of an Albion aircraft ( WV179 424/C) that seems to show definitely black and yellow stripes.

I did get my left and right mixed up on the LSO/Angle stripes, they should be on the left side

Based on at least one photograph, it appears that C flight on Albion painted the stripes on the inboard wing panel, not the folding one, and they wrap around the wing leading edge. Another difference is that this AEW.1 has the big HF antenna at the top of the vertical fin.

20 hours ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

Based on at least one photograph, it appears that C flight on Albion painted the stripes on the inboard wing panel, not the folding one, and they wrap around the wing leading edge. Another difference is that this AEW.1 has the big HF antenna at the top of the vertical fin.

I've seen two pics of Albion Skyraiders and both have the stripes on the inner wing, the one mentioned above

14054155_10207044729298150_6699469637740

and this one WT968(?) 422

s-l1600.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dave Fleming said:

I've seen two pics of Albion Skyraiders and both have the stripes on the inner wing, the one mentioned above

14054155_10207044729298150_6699469637740

and this one WT968(?) 422

s-l1600.jpg

Thanks - but the second photograph didn’t come through. Also note that in this case there were almost certainly black stripes.

2 hours ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

Thanks - but the second photograph didn’t come through. Also note that in this case there were almost certainly black stripes.

Try again! Just noticed the lower fuselage stripes are being removed or over weathered!

69333785_10158818006999922_3456691101178

Edited by Dave Fleming

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/21/2019 at 1:37 PM, Tailspin Turtle said:

Tommy,

Enjoying your Tailspin Topics on this kit  and on the Underwing Things-- great info and writing, as always.

I assume the tanks in the picture below are the early 150gal -- do you have any pics of the attachment  to the pylon?

spacer.png

Also, know of a source for these tanks in 1/72?

Thanks,

Gene K

Edited by Gene K

Those are postwar 150-gallon tanks. My best guess as to size is illustrated here: https://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2016/09/things-under-wings-post-war-external.html.

The pylon is the early AD Skyraider one provided in the Sword kit, There's an illustration of one at the bottom of this post: https://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2012/11/things-under-wings-radar.html. However, I think that the tank should be snugged up a little closer to the pylon than shown in the AMT box art and there would be sway braces fore and aft.

I don't know of a source for 1/72 post-war 150-gallon tanks (note that there was an earlier one that had a more bulbous front end).

17 hours ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

Those are postwar 150-gallon tanks. My best guess as to size is illustrated here: https://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2016/09/things-under-wings-post-war-external.html.

Thanks, Tommy. I had previously been to your site and read that topic (I always check your fantastic site when I need help!!). I cross referenced your sketch  and the excellent profile picture with the AMT /ESCI 1/48 tanks and concluded that the ESCI/AMT tanks were a little larger (your site -- just under 11 feet versus AMT/ESCI 11.4 feet).  

I then checked my 1/72 Hasegawa, Fujimi, MPC, Hobbycraft, and RVHP Skyraider kits looking for those tanks, but none had them. Undaunted, I checked 1/72 Bearcat kits online and found that the Monogram/Revell and Sword Bearcat kits appear to have those tanks (I "extrapolated" measurements) ... so now I'll try to locate those kits in my stash. :shrug:

spacer.png

Thanks, as always, for the help.

Gene K

Edited by Gene K

23 hours ago, Gene K said:

Thanks, Tommy. I had previously been to your site and read that topic (I always check your fantastic site when I need help!!). I cross referenced your sketch  and the excellent profile picture with the AMT /ESCI 1/48 tanks and concluded that the ESCI/AMT tanks were a little larger (your site -- just under 11 feet versus AMT/ESCI 11.4 feet).  

I then checked my 1/72 Hasegawa, Fujimi, MPC, Hobbycraft, and RVHP Skyraider kits looking for those tanks, but none had them. Undaunted, I checked 1/72 Bearcat kits online and found that the Monogram/Revell and Sword Bearcat kits appear to have those tanks (I "extrapolated" measurements) ... so now I'll try to locate those kits in my stash. :shrug:

Thanks, as always, for the help.

Gene K

Gene - Thanks. I hadn't thought to check the Wylam F8F drawings for the 150-gallon tank. There are three different side views in that set with 150-gallon tanks. I checked them against each other and the drawing in my post. As you might expect, back in the days of T-squares and French curves it was unlikely that three different drawings would be identical even if you traced two from one original. But they are pretty close and the one you posted matches my drawing very closely: David Collier measured a tank at 24.2 inches in diameter (he actually measured the circumference at 76 inches) and a length of 131 inches (10 feet 11 inches). The 1/72 Monogram F8F tank measures 26 inches by 10 feet 11 inches.

Edited by Tailspin Turtle
Correct typo
  • Like 1

Are they the same tanks fitted to the British AEWs?  They seem more elongated than the one in the drawing, but that could be the effect in photos I guess?

G-31-11_Skyraider_Gordon_Macadie_1280.jp

p274670221-3.jpg

Some nice details in those shots, including that brace cable/rod (?) at the rear of the tank.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

On 9/23/2019 at 12:14 AM, Tailspin Turtle said:

I don't know of a source for 1/72 post-war 150-gallon tanks (note that there was an earlier one that had a more bulbous front end).

Possibly off-the-wall thought: how do those tanks compare with the twin tanks carried by later F4U Corsairs and available in the Tamiya kit?

Edited by Seahawk

New Avalon decals - ref. AVD7024 - Douglas Skyraider in FAA service

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AVD7024
1. Skyraider AEW.1, WT944/301-CW, No.778 NAS, FAA, RNAS Culdrose, January 1952
2. Skyraider AEW.1, WV178/242-Z-C, No.849 NAS, FAA, HMS Albion, November 1956
3. Skyraider AEW.1, WV183/419-R, No.849 NAS, FAA, HMS Ark Royal, 1958
4. Skyraider AEW.1, WV179/432-V, No.849 NAS, FAA, HMS Victorious, 1959
5. Skyraider AEW.1, WT949/308-J, No.849 NAS, FAA, HMS Eagle, March/April 1953

AVD7024.jpg

AVD7024-1.jpg

V.P.

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

Don’t believe any AEW Skyraiders served in the Viet Nam war, all replaced with the Grumman Tracer by then. Plenty of non-AEW Skyraides served in Nam but Sword does not make those versions, Hasegawa and soon Special Hobby do.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I have just completed building and painting my 1/72 Sword AEW Skyraider and intend to finish it as the Suez Campaign RN FAA 849 SQN aircraft. I am holding off decalling it until I can ascertain whether the kit instructions and box art are correct in having the roundel in front of the aircraft number 415 on both sides of the fuselage. I have seen a few examples of this kit finished with the roundel being placed aft of the 415 on rear fuselage, and a google search shows that both variations (roundel either in front of ...or behind aircraft number) appear to exist on FAA AEW Skyraiders. Any ideas which variation is actually correct on this airframe? Do the Sword instructions have it right?

Have done more searching online and it appears the kit instructions are right. No need to reply to my post.

Edited by P-3s rule