Canadair Sabre Mk 5 1/48 Monogram

As if I don't have enough to do. I just purchased this gem, the old Monogram 1/48

Canadair Sabre Mk5/Mk4 kit which I will be doing as a Golden Hawks Mk 5. I'll add the

scoops to the fuselage sides and get a decent set of decals. Should be here to start by

Friday with any luck.---John

xbnD5E9.jpg

• Like 6

Having thoughts to soon build the Academy 1/48 kit as a Canadian Mk.5, I might watch on John if that's ok. Just curious about the fuselage scoops, were these applicable to all Mk.5's and is there a readily available AM source that one can acquire these from? I'm sure Leading Edge or some other reputable decal manufacturer should be able to help you with GH decals. 

Cheers and good luck.. Dave 

I believe the scoops were added to later Mk 5s and I believe all Mk 6s. Yes I am

looking at Leading Edge for the decals. I was close to purchasing the Academy

F-86F-30 to use but this was less expensive and I built it before and know of

it's excellent detail, raised lines or not it's a steal for $13!!!! I still want to try an

Academy, it's a beautiful looking kit!---John

• Like 1

I just reread an old thread and a local Sabre guru told me the Mk 5 Canadair

Sabres had the scoops added in mid 1958. The Mk 5 I did at the time was from

1955 so I didn't need the scoops. I thought there was a resin set of scoops but

I scratch built mine, frugality won out. HTH---John

• Thanks 1

Thanks John, this might be a timely WIP to also post some queries regarding Canadian Sabres (if you don't mind). 

Now if they were anything like some locally produced Australian examples, their internal colours may have been different to the parent examples (say North American built F-86's). Therefore I was just wondering what would be safe Canadian colour choices for the Cockpit, Wheel Well and Airbrake areas? I also believe there are some panel line and fuselage intake differences between your typical F-86F-30 and the Sabre Mk.5. Any idea what these might be? 

Cheers.. Dave  

Dave---The men you want to ask here are Tony Edmundson AKA Snowbird3a and

Duncan AKA Sabrejet. They are the local Gurus of all things Sabres to the best of

my knowledge. Hopefully they will chime in or PM them! HTH---John

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

GH Sabre 5:

Speed brake interior: green

Speed brake wells: green

Landing gear wells: green

Landing gear door interiors: silver

Cockpit/seat: gray (panels black?)

I appreciate that Sabrejet, a well layed out response. I'd assume these internal colours would be the same for standard 'in service' Mk.5's as well - probably a silly question I know! 

Whiile your onboard here, is there a good reference or weblink source that shows the subtle differences between the Mk.5 and F-86F-30 that's readily available? 

Cheers and thanks.. Dave. 

John! Howdy?

I never learnt about the existence of this Monogram kit. Hope you can show me how the wings come in the box (flaps and slats detachable?). Monogram Sabres have the correct nose landing gear fork which are wrong in the Hasegawa kits.

How about the airbrakes?

Eagerly following this.

22 hours ago, Liam Harrison said:

Adding this to my growing list of reference-builds for when I get my Sabre :D 

Liam,

Which one are you going to get?

Cheers,

Unc2

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Liam,

Which one are you going to get?

I picked up an RF-86F-30 for pretty cheap on FB Marketplace. It's an older (mid-2000's) Hasegawa kit. I'm pretty keen!

There is somewhere  images showing the panel line differences between Canadair and N/A

F-86s. It has to do with access panels for the different engines I believe. I remember seeing

it but don't remember the site, Duncan or Tony  know more than I about this.---John

27993461_168241803800404_185352258765273

Here is mine. The only things l did was scratch built the "sugar scoops" and replace the ejection seat with a better resin one

Hacker

• Like 2

I glued the cockpit in the right side and did a test fit with the left half fuselage taped up.

Pretty good fit for a 28 year old kit, same age as my youngest son!---John

ZOmNRtq.jpg

• Like 3

On 4/2/2019 at 12:42 PM, Sabrejet said:

GH Sabre 5:

Speed brake interior: green

Speed brake wells: green

Landing gear wells: green

Landing gear door interiors: silver

Cockpit/seat: gray (panels black?)

I've just done a GH MK5 and all the period photos showed the GH painted their cockpits/seats black, but left the rear canopy area grey.

Tony