Soleil Royal "Fully rigged wooden Ship"

Hi Guys, This was built over 2 and a half years. It's a kit from deag. I enjoyed building this one plus is the only Fully rigged ship I have finished.

Hope you like the pictures. 

Chris

DSC03429DSC03431DSC03432DSC03434DSC03435DSC03436DSC03438_01

DSC03439_01DSC03444

• Like 46
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

Congratulations - that is wonderful - What scale?

Rob

Cheers guys, its Overall Dimensions

Length: 102 cm/ Height: 87 cm/ Width: 43 cm  |  Scale: 1:70 very big....

Chris

Gidday Chris, a beautiful ship and a beautiful model of it. I could never understand why the shipbuilders of old but so much artwork into something that was intended primarily to punch holes in an adversary, and presumably cop a hammering themselves while doing it. Unless all that gold leaf was meant to reflect the sun into the eyes of the enemy gunners and blind them.

Truly a work of art. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Chris, that’s beautiful, wonderful stuff indeed. It’s lovely to see a few of these beautiful wooden models appearing. I have made a much simpler Schooner as my first wooden kit, much easier rigging. And I’m currently building a Corel kit of Cook’s Endeavour, which is on the back burner while I finish a troublesome plastic kit. I hope that my rigging comes somewhere near 50% as good as yours as I’ll be content. My personnel preference is not to use the sails as I feel that it hides the beautiful intricacies of the rigging, but you’ve made a great job of yours and I commend your efforts.

Well done sir.

Regards Ian

• Thanks 1

Lovely job sir. One minor point you may want to consider going forward is that the flags would be flying the other way; blown forward by the wind.  Only when we went to steam ships could we have flags blowing against the wind...

• Thanks 1

On 4/9/2019 at 4:38 AM, Alchemy said:

Lovely job sir. One minor point you may want to consider going forward is that the flags would be flying the other way; blown forward by the wind.  Only when we went to steam ships could we have flags blowing against the wind...

I stared at the model for quite a while and did not notice that, but it's usually one of the first things that annoys me when it is the case! I must have been overwhelmed by the quality otherwise... But truly, it should be flags with the wind!

Edited by Kilroy1988
  • Thanks 1

On 4/11/2019 at 5:06 PM, magpie1832 said:

Thanks guys, for the great comments. 

I will spin the flags round see how she looks. 

Chris

No, leave them in whichever pose gives the best aesthetic effect to frame your excellent model.

It doesn't matter which way the wind is blowing because as a static display model, it's not going anywhere 😉

Alan

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

She is really fantastic and you made a wonderful job here. Actually even if I knew the ship I have never seen one finished. She could be shown in "Musée de la Marine".

Congratulations.

Patrick

Edited by VG 33
  • Thanks 1