RAF QRA through the years. Hurricane finished 24/06, page 9.

43 minutes ago, Wez said:

I never really appreciated just how big the lightning is compared to both the Tonka and the Toom, nice collection BTW.

Surprised me too after doing a 1/48 Hunter.  Lightning is a lot bigger.

13 hours ago, Wez said:

There's a Sabre missing from this selection, a 66 or 92 Sqn jet would go nicely with your collection.

Yes indeed and definitely another classic worth adding.

Has the big Hasegawa Sabre been superseded to anyone's knowledge?

6 hours ago, franky boy said:

I love this project.

Will come along for the ride if that's ok.

James

Of course mate, all part of the enjoyment of the forum!

3 hours ago, Jonners said:

Blimey, did you have to take out a second mortgage for that little lot?? 😮

Admittedly I did go a bit overboard last month....got some bargains in there though through some savvy shopping :lol:

...about 4 months modelling budget in the space of a few weeks! But sure, all part of the fun!

Good luck with this project 👍

I'm a convert to Xtracrylix but if you've never used them before I'd recommend you give them a chance because your first try will probably be problematic 😂 I'd definitely recommend using the proprietary thinner and thin by at least 30% (rather than the recommended 15%) and spray multiple light coats at low pressure (12-15psi).

I'd also take the spray cap off your airbrush and clean the needle frequently with a paper towel to avoid splats. Otherwise they're excellent acrylic paints with very good colour fidelity.

Alan

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alan P said:

Good luck with this project 👍

I'm a convert to Xtracrylix but if you've never used them before I'd recommend you give them a chance because your first try will probably be problematic 😂 I'd definitely recommend using the proprietary thinner and thin by at least 30% (rather than the recommended 15%) and spray multiple light coats at low pressure (12-15psi).

I'd also take the spray cap off your airbrush and clean the needle frequently with a paper towel to avoid splats. Otherwise they're excellent acrylic paints with very good colour fidelity.

Alan

Thanks Alan. They'll be used for the Typhoon, Tornado and Phantom as they are the only brand that seem to do the correct shades of grey. What thinners do you use with them? I'll practice on some scrap plastic as I do when I try any new paints.

• Like 1

Just now, DaveJL said:

What thinners do you use with them?

I use the Hannants Xtracrylix thinner, it's way better than water. Tried Tamiya thinners and also Mr Leveling Thinner and neither worked particularly well - the paint went on and beaded. Even though it dried smooth, I didn't like the experience 😂

1 hour ago, Alan P said:

I use the Hannants Xtracrylix thinner, it's way better than water. Tried Tamiya thinners and also Mr Leveling Thinner and neither worked particularly well - the paint went on and beaded. Even though it dried smooth, I didn't like the experience 😂

Cheers. I'll have to order a bottle!

Out of interest, what brands of paint would the majority suggest for the Spitfire and Hunter? I normally just Tamiya or Model Master paints. I know Tamiya do Ocean Grey, Dark green and a shade of silver for the Hunter, but not sure if they do exact matches for the Spit. 

9 hours ago, DaveJL said:

Cheers. I'll have to order a bottle!

Out of interest, what brands of paint would the majority suggest for the Spitfire and Hunter? I normally just Tamiya or Model Master paints. I know Tamiya do Ocean Grey, Dark green and a shade of silver for the Hunter, but not sure if they do exact matches for the Spit. 

Spitfire -Ocean Grey,  Hunter - Dark Sea Grey , not the same colour,   Tamiya's Ocean Grey was introduced for their 1/32 Spitfire, it's a reasonable match.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2019 at 7:24 PM, DaveJL said:

Thanks mate. I may add a few more bits here and there.

I do indeed! But I'm only building a selection :lol:

Never had the privilege of seeing either fly. Maybe my 5th RIAT this year will have one of Greece's F-4s flying (one can hope)

Growing up in Northern Ireland, all I heard were Gazelles, Pumas, Lynx and the occasional Chinook!

And the Sea king ....junglie of course

On 4/2/2019 at 10:02 PM, Wez said:

There's a Sabre missing from this selection, a 66 or 92 Sqn jet would go nicely with your collection.

a Sabre is not THAT British.... :P

2 hours ago, exdraken said:

a Sabre is not THAT British.... :P

But then, neither is the Eurofighter (bit of a clue in te name there) Typhoon, the Panavia (a 3 nation consortium) Tornado or for that matter the very American McDonnell-Douglas Phantom, very much an American beastie :tease:

I just think the Sabre has an important but often overlooked place when looking at RAF QRA jets.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Wez said:

But then, neither is the Eurofighter (bit of a clue in te name there) Typhoon, the Panavia (a 3 nation consortium) Tornado or for that matter the very American McDonnell-Douglas Phantom, very much an American beastie :tease:

I just think the Sabre has an important but often overlooked place when looking at RAF RA jets.

moving these yeah out of thread topic.... sorry, but:

then at least all 3 had a lot of British content and design, 2 were even exported by Britain....  (the Eurofighter is called Typhoon for some reason in Britain, no? Germany does not officially use "Typhoon" afiak!)

not sure if the F-35 would count though......maybe? is it seriously considered as being partly British? at least the B version?

The Sabre on the other hand..... was it still in service when the above photo was taken? as far as I know they were passed on quickly after the Hunter became available to countries like Italy and Yugoslavia!

Edited by exdraken

10 hours ago, Andrew Jones said:

Spitfire -Ocean Grey,  Hunter - Dark Sea Grey , not the same colour,   Tamiya's Ocean Grey was introduced for their 1/32 Spitfire, it's a reasonable match.

The MK 1 is the green/brown/sky colours - looking for the best paints to match these as I've read Tamiya's aren't the closest in shade.

10 hours ago, junglierating said:

And the Sea king ....junglie of course

Can't say I saw too many of those!

2 hours ago, Mikey-1980 said:

I'm loving this idea for QRA aircraft.

Really looking forward to seeing you progress through each kit :)

Thanks mate!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Made a start, albeit a very brief one, on the Spitfire today. Stalled as I don't have the correct paint for the cockpit, but I'll rectify that this week. Anyway, the contents first:

32726259897_8c4618f248_b.jpg

An etch fret and some masks are a nice addition. The detailing is about as sharp as you can get in plastic. It really does look brilliant. The only bits I managed before noticing the lack of paint were the cockpit sides and a few bits in the cockpit itself:

46944869914_5f63f78537_b.jpg

32726258907_1975f12d85_b.jpg

Perfect fit. A set of Mig paints has also arrived:

32726260277_448edf836c_b.jpg

A rather boring start, but it's a start nonetheless!

Dave

• Like 4

I've been thinking about this topic ever since you raised it and it's not really very straight forward is it?

If you only include aircraft from the monoplane era it starts of as purely day fighters but then once WWII starts, night fighters  come into the mix before the advent of the all weather fighter amalgamates the roles:

Day Fighters:   Night Fighters:

Hawker Hurricane    Bristol Blenheim

Supermarine Spitfire   Bristol Beaufighter

Hawker Typhoon   DH Mosquito

Hawker Tempest

Gloster Meteor   Gloster Meteor and DH Venom

Canadair Sabre

Hawker Hunter  

Gloster Javelin

EE Lightning

McDD Phantom

Panavia Tornado

Eurofighter Typhoon

So that would make 17 models if you only made one kit to represent each type, but then if you wanted to demonstrate how some types developed during that time you'd need considerably more!  Then there's all of the other types that also held the QRA role to a greater or lesser degree (Defiant, Hornet etc)

At my current build rate that should keep me occupied until I was at least 130 (I'm 54 now)! 

It is an interesting project nonetheless!

• Like 1

Nice project!

If I may, one word of advice about the Tornado.

If you want to avoid a world of trouble, please do not follow the instructions.

Use Shaun's tip: build the rear of the thing on one side, the nose on the other, and slide the nose on the rest of the fuselage.

You'll use as little putty as you can (i.e. the intakes which are a pain in the subtropical regions anyway).

tornadof3001.JPG

Cheers,

S.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wez said:

I've been thinking about this topic ever since you raised it and it's not really very straight forward is it?

If you only include aircraft from the monoplane era it starts of as purely day fighters but then once WWII starts, night fighters  come into the mix before the advent of the all weather fighter amalgamates the roles:

Day Fighters:   Night Fighters:

Hawker Hurricane    Bristol Blenheim

Supermarine Spitfire   Bristol Beaufighter

Hawker Typhoon   DH Mosquito

Hawker Tempest

Gloster Meteor   Gloster Meteor and DH Venom

Canadair Sabre

Hawker Hunter  

Gloster Javelin

EE Lightning

McDD Phantom

Panavia Tornado

Eurofighter Typhoon

So that would make 17 models if you only made one kit to represent each type, but then if you wanted to demonstrate how some types developed during that time you'd need considerably more!  Then there's all of the other types that also held the QRA role to a greater or lesser degree (Defiant, Hornet etc)

At my current build rate that should keep me occupied until I was at least 130 (I'm 54 now)! 

It is an interesting project nonetheless!

There’s quite a list, I had to be sensible and narrow it down to topics that I fancied! I may add a Hurricane, but we’ll see.

1 hour ago, Sebastien said:

Nice project!

If I may, one word of advice about the Tornado.

If you want to avoid a world of trouble, please do not follow the instructions.

Use Shaun's tip: build the rear of the thing on one side, the nose on the other, and slide the nose on the rest of the fuselage.

You'll use as little putty as you can (i.e. the intakes which are a pain in the subtropical regions anyway).

tornadof3001.JPG

Cheers,

S.

Thanks mate, I’ve read it can be a tricky build so I’ll follow your advice!

Hello Dave !

Great idea ! Congratulations !

If one has to be added on your already rich list, it is the Javelin !!

Another vote for the X tracrylics, I used it oftenly !

And totally agreed with Alan ! Use the Xtracrylic thinner !

Avoid the Tamiya canned varnish on this paints !!

Just guess how I know it ???

Can I take a seat at the bar and order some Guinesses ??

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

20 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Dave !

Great idea ! Congratulations !

If one has to be added on your already rich list, it is the Javelin !!

Another vote for the X tracrylics, I used it oftenly !

And totally agreed with Alan ! Use the Xtracrylic thinner !

Avoid the Tamiya canned varnish on this paints !!

Just guess how I know it ???

Can I take a seat at the bar and order some Guinesses ??

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks mate! There are plenty more I could add but have to draw the line somewhere :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1