RAF QRA through the years. Hurricane finished 24/06, page 9.

More done.Added some panel line wash and then a top coat of gloss, sprayed in a light layer. For some reason a few of the decals started to 'bubble' for want of a better word and some work was needed to smooth these down. I'm a big fan of Mr Paint and their matt varnish is excellent, but I'm still not fully convinced with their gloss. I've order some Alclad Aqua gloss so will give that a try next time round.

The masking was then removed and of course the chrome around the nose ring peeled slightly so had to re-paint this, but it's not as shiny as it was 😤. FOD over and ejection seat added along with the stabilisers and wing tip lights:

48283520172_4502f6f130_b.jpg

48283519607_4ec98ef18b_b.jpg

48283416926_a42c260db8_b.jpg

48283518082_899dc76b69_b.jpg

48283415571_ab3ceb41ab_b.jpg

48283516782_d4cfa9e498_b.jpg

Despite the few near misses, I'm quite happy with how it's sitting. I'll add some light weathering and leave the varnish as is. I think a flat coat would take away from the look of the metallic. Not much more to attach.

Dave

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, Maxwellphillips said:

Looks great! I've got this kit too, so this is a great reference 

Thanks mate. Hopefully there's something useful for you in the thread. It's no masterpiece! :lol: 

14 hours ago, DaveJL said:

Despite the few near misses, I'm quite happy with how it's sitting. I'll add some light weathering and leave the varnish as is. I think a flat coat would take away from the look of the metallic.

She IS looking fantastic!

congrats to this challenging scheme!

• Like 1

Calling my first ever Lightning done. I'm happy enough with how it turned out despite the few errors (on my part) on the build (mistakes with decals, paint peeling, cable ducts added (As stated in the instructions, corrected by @Wez and a few other mishaps!) Anyway, enough waffle, here's a few pictures:

48291360037_31b66dd523_b.jpg

48291262766_498833d994_b.jpg

48291360662_b15b4a25c5_b.jpg

48291369422_a9415811f8_b.jpg

Beside the Spitfire:

48291359432_d388149079_b.jpg

More pictures in RFI here

Thanks to those who have commented/followed so far. The Tornado or Phantom will be up next.

Dave

• Like 12

12 minutes ago, DaveJL said:

Calling my first ever Lightning done. I'm happy enough with how it turned out 

I'd say! Great work, who doesn't love a Lightning.

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hook said:

I'd say! Great work, who doesn't love a Lightning.

Cheers,

Andre

Thanks Andre.

7 minutes ago, Wez said:

You've done a lovely job there Dave, well done!

What's next?

Thanks Wez. It'll either be the Tornado or Phantom, as yet undecided, followed by the Hunter!

1 minute ago, DaveJL said:

Thanks Wez. It'll either be the Tornado or Phantom, as yet undecided, followed by the Hunter!

Never been a fan of the Tonka so my vote, FWIW, goes to the Toom, so much more charismatic than the Tonka.

2 hours ago, Wez said:

Never been a fan of the Tonka so my vote, FWIW, goes to the Toom, so much more charismatic than the Tonka.

I'm about to start a F-4F for the Phantom GB so may go with the Tornado to mix it up...or go with the Phantom as I may get the bug :lol: 

• 1 month later...

Have a bit of a Phantom bug after finishing the F-4F, so thought I'd return to this and unbox the next build - Revell's FGR2. You may remember back at the start of the thread, I'd planned to build this as a 56 Sqn jet. I've since decided that I want to do a Squadron that, I think anyway, was synonymous with the Phantom in RAF service and so this will now be XV498 of 92 Squadron in the early 1990s. (The Hunter will now be a 56 Sqn machine).

48637034213_4cf60d9015_b.jpg

48637033973_e4267d9cf1_b.jpg

Since the start of the thread, I've picked up a New Ware mask and a Flightpath ladder set. Have also bagged up 4x AIM-9 and 4 AIM-7 from a Tamiya F-14 kit to make up the ordnance.

48637033713_ac27e001e4_b.jpg

Obligatory squadron patch also added!

Decals and paint scheme:

48637033398_976cde99af_b.jpg

Will try and build this alongside the Su-27 about to cross the start line on the bench.

Dave

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, stever219 said:

You might want to consider laying in a set of Alley Cat intakes: they are a vast improvement on the kit parts, not too expensive and not a huge faff to install.

Had looked at them mate but as I'm going with FOD covers I thought it would be a bit of a wasted outlay.

Didn’t find the kit intakes too bad - went with FOD covers.  It’s on ok kit & much better value now though t has been rereleased.  I decided not to go 56 Sqn red tail as I had planned & turned out like this

FoTLzR8DHN8jFugPubbUExc8LAx2MNkI7zCg4QV9

• Like 5

9 hours ago, bar side said:

It’s on ok kit & much better value now though t has been rereleased.

I wish Revell would re-release the FG1 as well. I have a Hasegawa FAA boxing, but would love another, and some of the prices you see on auction sites are monstrous

13 hours ago, bar side said:

Didn’t find the kit intakes too bad - went with FOD covers.  It’s on ok kit & much better value now though t has been rereleased.  I decided not to go 56 Sqn red tail as I had planned & turned out like this

Nice! The HAS is very good.

4 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I wish Revell would re-release the FG1 as well. I have a Hasegawa FAA boxing, but would love another, and some of the prices you see on auction sites are monstrous

I agree on that one, saw an FG1  Navy boxing for over £80 a few weeks ago!

• 4 months later...

Finally made a start on the FGR2 over the last few days. Firstly, the cockpit was prepped, painted and the Eduard etch added. Again, the colour matching of the etch parts and the rest of the tub was somewhat off!

49399585463_4e82b9a199_b.jpg

A light wash was added, though I've just noticed I've missed a bit! I left off the side panel to the right of the WSOs office until I'd closed up the fuselage. Speaking of which:

49400060321_e007e63287_b.jpg

49399584788_1d673c0bc3_b.jpg

Nose cone, fin tip, intakes and a few other small bits also added. Seam lines will need a bit of a clean up. For those in the know, what colour would the area circled below be? If the jet was sitting on alert, would the doors for these vents be opened or closed?

49399645388_fa65c5cd76_b.jpg

Finally, the ordnance. AIM-9s and AIM-7s (Skyflash) are from a Tamiya F-14; the tanks and cannon are from the kit:

49399584533_444cddd0b8_b.jpg

More soon.

Dave

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Jabba said:

Dave those doors are just slightly ajar with the engine shut down, so you just about see the edging of the door surround. This and the inside of the door were painted red when I worked on them.

Perfect, thanks mate!

Cough, cough bleurrgh.......92 Sqn. Hissing Sids motley crew!! I've come over all nauseous. I was on 19(F) Sqn, big rivalry at Wildenrath between squadrons.

I'll concur with Jabba's comments on the upper aux air door colour. Any moving door/surface were painted red on the Phantom, so upper and lower aux air doors, inside surface of the airbrakes and edges of flaps and ailerons.

When the tooms went grey, the red was toned down to a dull pinky red in some areas, others stayed bright red.

On the missiles, watch out for the Skyflash, there were differences to the AIM-7 Sparrow. I built the previous Revell boxing of the kit , the missiles and their decals provided were good. The Sidewinders should be AIM-9L versions. The forward fins should have an angled kink in their leading edge.

Many people get the missile colours wrong. Skyflash should be overall light aircraft grey with a white ceramic nose. Sidewinders were US light ghost grey with the guidance unit and fins at the front anodised metal.

Rob.

Edited by Phone Phixer
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

Cough, cough bleurrgh.......92 Sqn. Hissing Sids motley crew!! I've come over all nauseous. I was on 19(F) Sqn, big rivalry at Wildenrath between squadrons.

I'll concur with Jabba's comments on the upper aux air door colour. Any moving door/surface were painted red on the Phantom, so upper and lower aux air doors, inside surface of the airbrakes and edges of flaps and ailerons.

When the tooms went grey, the red was toned down to a dull pinky red in some areas, others stayed bright red.

On the missiles, watch out for the Skyflash, there were differences to the AIM-7 Sparrow. I built the previous Revell boxing of the kit , the missiles and their decals provided were good. The Sidewinders should be AIM-9L versions. The forward fins should have an angled kink in their leading edge.

Many people get the missile colours wrong. Skyflash should be overall light aircraft grey with a white ceramic nose. Sidewinders were US light ghost grey with the guidance unit and fins at the front anodised metal.

Rob.

Cheers Rob, great info there about the missiles, the colours of which was going to be a later question so appreciate you clearing that up! The Sidewinders do have the kinked leading edge on the forward fins, pretty sure they were stated as Lima versions in the Tomcat kit. I’ve had a look at pictures of the Skyflash and Sparrow and think the latter I have here look close enough for me!

Oh and sorry about the Squadrons :lol: 

• Haha 1