1/48 EA-18G Growler VAQ-132 'Scorpions'. Finished 19/05

DaveJL

looking good, I must your pre-shading squiggles are as wiggly as mine! :D

I haven't tried their acrylic paints yet still stuck/amazed at the lacquer based ones. But I'll bet they're are just as nice to use so I'll be very interested to see how you go with these. 

15 hours ago, trickyrich said:

looking good, I must your pre-shading squiggles are as wiggly as mine! :D

I haven't tried their acrylic paints yet still stuck/amazed at the lacquer based ones. But I'll bet they're are just as nice to use so I'll be very interested to see how you go with these. 

Haha yeah, they're not very straight!

These are the Laquer ones mate, they appear to be in new bottles (plastic with a dropper for airbrush cups). I've sprayed the lighter shade on today in 2 fine coats and I'm amazed at how well they sprayed, set and dried on the kit. I went with about 15psi and fairly close to the plastic. I'm sold!

More done and the airframe is just about ready for a gloss coat in preparation for decals. The paint went on amazingly well and I've blended in the demarcation lines as seen on the real things with a light misting of the greys. Also went over various panel lines (light on dark and vice versa) again as is often seen on the real thing - every time a panel is removed for maintenance the area around it is sprayed with whatever paint is available on the ship to prevent corrosion - thus creating the dolly mixture of paint on the jets! For anyone interested, there's a great thread over on ARC with lots of great pictures here.

This jet also appears to have had a few paint jobs with the areas where the crew names are, amongst other areas, sprayed in a different shade of grey. The link below shows this pretty well:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/135913435@N07/26556165161

The blobs on the wings aren't as bright in the flesh! I might go over these with a light mist of Dark Gull Grey just to tone them down a bit, though I think once the gloss, wash and weathering is on, it should be grand.

47053187184_a246eac7a0_b.jpg

32898781717_d6216df86c_b.jpg

47053185984_4933b60057_b.jpg

32898780647_c1a058d415_b.jpg

More soon.

Dave

• Like 5

5 hours ago, mirageiv said:

Looks fantastic Dave, I like the high contrasting touch ups and hope to do similar on my build! 

Thanks mate. Quite pleased with it myself. The camouflage tail fins will be a nice contrast to the greys.  

• Like 1

gee that paint job looks nice!! Just mist over a bit of that grey or even some of the lighter (very light misting), will help them to disappear. You can have a lot of fun playing with varying shades of grey and misting them on. They can add shadows or highlight really nicely, just keep the mixture nice and thin and the pressure really low.

But great job well done! :thumbsup:

Cheers Rich.

Decals went on this morning. Quite a few required some Micro-set. Once this was done I sealed them in with a top coat of gloss. I used MRP's own gloss and I have to say it's as good as the paint, so much so that it was fully cured in about 30 minutes so I decided what the heck and stuck the panel wash on (I normally leave my kits overnight before adding a wash after the gloss).

47067739504_30017ed5fc_b.jpg

46940968945_1a6a6db1cb_b.jpg

Left that on for about 30 minutes. The results were great, the gloss took the wash really well. Once I removed the excess, I added the tail fins and arrestor hook before adding some more weathering with a mixture of washes applied in random areas on the model:

40890666543_98d994c7cd_b.jpg

32913048277_6d082ed1fb_b.jpg

32913047857_73cccd9c85_b.jpg

40890665363_90993a06e5_b.jpg

32913047227_3798fd9faa_b.jpg

Since those photos were taken, I've added the landing gear and this will be left to cure overnight. Will then give that lot a matt coat before adding the ordnance etc. I have MRP's Marr varnish too so hope that goes on just as nicely as the gloss.

More soon.

Dave

• Like 6

Very nice!!

One of few and very fitting specials that also really went to war...

Just noted that those are kit decals!

Great!

Edited by exdraken

55 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Very nice!!

One of few and very fitting specials that also really went to war...

Just noted that those are kit decals!

Great!

Thanks Werner.

They are indeed the kit decals - very thick and a bugger to get off the backing paper. I think Furball also offer this scheme on one of their sheets.

• Thanks 1

More done this morning. Gave the model a coat of MRP's matt varnish. It is also fantastic. I left it to cure for about an hour then added the exhausts, ejection seats and FOD covers. A bit more light weathering was also added.

46946066685_8ec556e466_b.jpg

33984934398_701ff6d88b_b.jpg

46946066255_9074c5cd5d_b.jpg

33984933578_f3a817f93c_b.jpg

33984932918_f5de5967d6_b.jpg

Just the ordnance and canopy to add.

Dave

• Like 5

wow that's nice!!!

As I mention to anyone that'll listen...well read my ramblings..that MPR stuff is amazing! The clear stuff especially works like magic and it just sort of smooths out the all the layers underneath.

If you play around with the Matt you'll find it will even give you that really faded bleached look to the finish as well, you just go a wee bit heavier with the coat while it's sort of damp....if that makes sense?

I've never been a big fan of the Bug or Super Bug but I really do love this build! :thumbsup:

30 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

wow that's nice!!!

As I mention to anyone that'll listen...well read my ramblings..that MPR stuff is amazing! The clear stuff especially works like magic and it just sort of smooths out the all the layers underneath.

If you play around with the Matt you'll find it will even give you that really faded bleached look to the finish as well, you just go a wee bit heavier with the coat while it's sort of damp....if that makes sense?

I've never been a big fan of the Bug or Super Bug but I really do love this build! :thumbsup:

Thanks Rich!

I have to agree about the Mr Paint stuff. It is just excellent. I've never used a gloss and matt that go on so well and dry so quickly. Fantastic stuff.

well done another awesome build form you she looks amazing!!! :thumbsup:

As I mentioned early I'm not a big fans of these aircraft, but after seeing your model ( and the build) I could almost now see one in the stash at some time!

It's been a real pleasure as always to have you along for the build, I really enjoy following them, I hope it was an enjoyable build for you. A gain well done!.

On 5/20/2019 at 4:02 AM, Greg Law said:

Great finish. This seems to have gone well right though. Pity we can't get that MRP here and BNA won't post paint to us.

There is a guy on evilBay (don't all these stories start like this!! :whistle:) who sells this stuff world wide. I've been reading some comments on an NZ forum, a couple buy these paints from him/them regularly via post without any issues. Shipping can take a little while to get there, but they do arrive. They re a little bit cheaper then I can get them for from BNA. You should just try buying a couple and see how you go?

here's the link to their store...

https://www.ebay.com/str/Cro-model-shop/Mr-Paint/_i.html?_storecat=21885034018

• Thanks 1