Trawler kit wanted

I am new to maritime modelling and thinking of a build I would like to do but I dont know where to start to find what I am looking for. I am also looking for a picture to show the common scale sizes. I like 1:48 in aircraft models so something similar in size or a bit smaller. I live on the Pacific and the trawlers are very common sight so I  thought it would make a great build with all the detail however cant seem to find a kit like the boat in the picture. If any one can help it would be greatly appreciated thank you!

i-xWM2Wqn-600x430.jpg

I think you'll be hard pressed to find any kit for the subject you're seeking. Their are a few kits for trawlers, both plastic and wood but nothing like what you're after.

I think you're best bet would be to scratch build as that is what I and @longshanks have had to do with our tugs, not as daunting as you may think, just takes time.

Stuart

Here's the kits that Scalemates lists for trawlers  . For the larger scale small trawlers that you are after the kits are not usually plastic injection moulded, they'd be wood, grp etc and mainly aimed at radio control. The plastic models listed are mainly smaller scale models of larger trawlers.

As Stuart says, if you're looking for a specific type of boat your best bet is scratch building. If you google trawler plans you might come up with something that is similart owhat you want and can be rescaled to the size you want.

21 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

For the larger scale small trawlers that you are after the kits are not usually plastic injection moulded, they'd be wood, grp etc and mainly aimed at radio control.

I have to agree the only place you may find help would be on one of the many RC sites

Kev

• Like 1

I think that you will find that the design of trawlers varies tremendously from country to country. The photograph you have included is obviously specific to the Canadian west coast. If you want to build something like that then it might be a good idea to e-mail the owners of that particular trawler. Some companies are flattered that you take an interest in their equipment and may be very happy to send you plans.  These days a lot of workboats can use the same hull but with different superstructure layouts so it might be worth contacting some boat yards as well. Then you need to work out a scale to use. You mention 1/48th, are you thinking of building for radio control or static and, if static will your models be 'full hull' or just waterline? Waterline would obviously make life easier for you. I think you have to do some more research on your subject matter and don't worry about the availability of kits as scratch building may be your route. Try to find a local model club or model boat club. At 1/48th you should b able to get hold of deck fittings and the like quite easily - you don't have to scratch build everything!

Thanks that's allot of great advice I really appreciate it. Hopefully I can have something to post soon. I think ill also scratch build a pier and an acrylic cube for the trawler its an ambitious project and looking expensive. It will test my modelling abilities to the limit trying to mimic a West Coast weathered gear laidened trawler tied up at low tide showing the big pier beams covered in barnacles and creosote throw some sea gulls in there for good measure. Allot of research right now ill have to make some calls.

• Like 1