Lockheed P-7A (P-3G) LRAACA

In between my dabblings on my C-17 ( and other builds) I have slowly been adding to my collection of P-3s with a version that never made it into production.  In 1988 the USN awarded a contract to Lockheed for an improved P-3 Orion, It would 25% larger and was known as the LRAACA (Long Range Air Antisubmarine warfare Capable Aircraft). In 1990 the contract was cancelled due to lack of progress. As we now know, the USN eventually went with the Boeing 737 based P-8A Poseidon to replace the P-3.

From Wiki:

The P-7 was designed as an enlarged version of the original P-3C. The fuselage, of similar cross-section to that of the P-3, was lengthened by 2.40 m (8 ft), and the wingspan by 2.10 m (7 ft). The wing center section was increased in length, which moved the engines farther away from the fuselage to reduce noise levels in the cabin. The tailplane was increased by about 25% in area, but shortened in height compared to that of the P-3. The P-7A was to be powered by four General Electric T407-GE-400 turboprops with 5-blade propellers.

Initial plans included the Update IV electronics equipment of the P-3C. The cockpit was to be fitted with eight CRT displays and a stowable HUD for weapons delivery. Other equipment included search radar, MAD, decoy flare launchers, electro-optical detector, radar warning receivers, IR suppression on the engine exhausts and laser deflection screens on the windows. The primary submarine detection sensor was to be the sonobuoy, of which 112 were carried internally; 38 more could be stowed for in-flight reloading. Another 150 could be carried in 10 underwing pods.

The design had an internal bomb bay for a maximum of 3,400 kg of weapons and 12 underwing pylons.

My build consist of 2 kits cuts up to give the increase in length and span, I had to make compromises with the engines as no General Electric T407-GE-400 turboprop engines are available, so I used a spare set of RR AE2000s for a C-130J. The 5 bladed props were made using the AE2000 prop hub and redrilling the prop blade positions to allow for 5 rather than 6 blades. All bar one of the original blade mounting point was filled. The engines were modified to install them upside down. The rudder was removed and replaced with a longer chord replacement and the vertical stab cut down. I also had to extend the horizontal stabs.

The next major change is the low IR signature exhausts which are flat at the trailing edge of the engine cowl. I reprofiled the rear part of the cowling by cutting them down and made a new a flat 'roof' with card. I also replaced the wingtips with the CP-140 tips supplied in the kit. The ail was also shortened as no MAD boom is present. I cut about 15mm off and blanked it with card and rounded it off with Milliput. This still needs to be reshaped. 

The final major mod is the wing/fuselage section in the lower fuselage with is more 'boxed' than the P-3. I used card and Milliput to get the basic shape. When the Millput hardens I will refine the shape.

Since there are few images of the aircraft I will add a few lumps, bumps, antenna and EWSP sensors to my liking.

I have not decided on a scheme at this stage, perhaps a Royal Australian Navy one! :D

46594426825_6e0fe4b97d_b.jpg

46594426645_6a73f864f0_b.jpg

40543960903_bef10b9447_b.jpg

• Like 10

• 3 years later...
On 4/29/2022 at 8:13 AM, GRIM REAPER said:

Bringing a topic from the dead! Did you ever finish this one?

Not yet, I have been tinkering with it on and off, reshaped the lower fairing and have to add the sonobouy chutes.

I have just primed it and I need to do a little more filling work, then it will be close to adding the finer details and starting the paint.  I am still unsure of the final scheme but am leaning towards a USN scheme

Some more work refining all the mods with more sanding and filling. I'm almost happy with it and have reprimed with Mr Surfacer white.

52049778075_24d6b5bee2_b.jpg

The tail planes are on and I am now looking at what I can hang under the wings

52049778020_691bb9daf8_b.jpg

I am thinking about a bright white/orange NRL scheme for it now so some sensor packages or the like might be the go

• Like 1

Nice work, Ray. Pity the aircraft was canned - Lockheed were too honest about the delays and cost increases; something Boeiing clearly capitalised on without having the honesty Lockheed did!

• Like 1