identification light - any info on this type?

JackG

On the top wing, almost centered, appears to be a light - any better photos or information?  Was a similar style used on the outboard area for navigation light purposes?

1434615242193.jpg

regards,

Jack

That looks like the Hawker Hawfinch prototype J8776 which lost out to the Bristol Bulldog.

The Alfred Granger Bulldog drawings show a white all round identification light mounted in a similar position, size and shape look similar to the lamp you are querying. There appears to be another one recessed into the fuselage behind and below the cockpit immediately aft of the wing trailing edge, which is also shown on the Bulldog drawings.

The Nav lights (red above the port wingtip, green above the stbd wingtip and white on a bracket aft of the rudder trailing edge)  are shown on  drawings as teardrop shaped fairings mounted on posts above the wing surface or bracket, these being removable and only fitted when required.

I suspect the item aqbove the port wingtip is the mounting bracket for the nav light.

Thank you Dave, and yes the above photo is the Hawker Hawfinch.

That is interesting that the other style, that you have mentioned, are removable.  That would explain what is being seen here on a Siskin, the center wing top has two lights?

gGIK7wJ.jpg

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

Yes, I think that other centre light is a white forward facing nav light and is removeable like the others. Some photo's of contemporary aircraft show this extra centre white light fitted, others don't. It's not shown in the Granger Siskin and Bulldog drawings, but is shown (but not annotated) in his Woodcock drawings. I think the Hawfinch was fitted for it, in these photo's from Flight you can see the identification light slightly to starboard of centreline with what appears to be a mounting bracket the same as the port and starboard lights just inboard of it.

• Like 1

Thanks again Dave. 

I'll have to rely on period photos to arrive at a proper configuration.  Atm, working on a Canadian Siskin as it appeared in 1929.  Doesn't look to have any lights on top, and will have to assume the fuselage underside light is there.

regards,

Jack

John thanks for that, but not sure what it means?

All I did was drill a hole and stuffed some brass tubing into it, as the Matchbox kit has no detail there;

fvPla0f.jpg

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG

59 minutes ago, John Aero said:

The downwards belly white light is a switch flash able (Morse) ID light.

John

28 minutes ago, JackG said:

John thanks for that, but not sure what it means?

Jack,

I understand that to mean that it could be used to flash a Morse code message via a switch, presumably the switch would be in the cockpit.

Mark.

• Like 1

Yes, simply that,  Radios were primitive if fitted. The key would be part of the cockpit equipment and as you flew over your base whilst night flying, it could be used to flash your ident code in Morse, or a request to land. The ground could reply using an Aldis Light.

• Like 1