B-24G versus B-24J Liberators

Rakovica

Calling for Liberator experts! 🙂

I'm trying to determine the exact visual differences between the North American Dallas built nose turret equipped B-24G and the standard B-24J models.

Here's a a couple of photos of the 450th BG B-24G-10-NA 42-78170 ''Destiny Deb'' and B-24G-10-NT 42-78231 ''Satan's Gal'' respectively, as example:

destinydeb2.jpg

SATANSGAL4.JPG

It seems that both Liberators carried the standard Emerson nose turret and B-24J-like bombardier position? I suppose A-6 tail turret?

The key question is how many and what corrections should be done on Hasegawa 1/72 scale B-24J kit to build an accurate B-24G?

Thanks!

Checked my Squadron and Signals B-24 Liberator in action, and see the B-24G designation was actually used on a B-24D with a turret on the cheak, while the B-24G-1 had the full front gun turret similar to the B-24H and -J.

Essentially the B-24G was a B-24H producted at North American/Dallas facility, while the B-24H was produced at Ford/Willow Run facility. Most if not all B-24G-1's were sent to the 15AF in the Med. 

The B-24J in comparison used a Consolidated A-6 turret - same as the rear turret - in the nose, making it slightly longer. It seems however that there was a mix of Consolidated and Emerson deliveries for the nose turret, and you have to check you reference pics to identify exactly what type of front turret "your" plane have. 

Rakovica,

What the others have stated. If you can find a copy or know a fellow modeler who has one, see Allan Griffith's book Consolidated Mess, by Mushroom Models Publications. It is THE definitive reference for all B-24's that were fitted with a nose turret, with detail drawings, photos, and serial numbers for all variations, of which there were a great number! Allan is supposedly also working on a  companion volume covering all B-24 variants without nose turrets. I have the book, and if you have specific B-24 in mind or have a serial number, I would be happy to look for it for you. I am SO glad I bought one while they were still available- an incredible reference work!

Mike

• Like 2