Tamiya's 1/24 Ford GT

Tyas

When it comes to modelling, I'm mostly an aircraft person. But my first contact with model kit actually started with cars, way back when I was still a midget. My uncle used to make car kits, with Tamiya's R33 Skyline, Subaru Alcyone and Legacy Wagon to name a few. And my biggest interest was actually on cars, as expected from someone who can spell Lamborghini long before he can spell his dad's name properly. However, my experience with car model kits were few and far between, with successful attempt on MP4/4 and LaFerrari (and failed attempt at Huracan and Murcielago SV, both ruined by paint problems).

Then came along Tamiya's Ford GT.

47453802592_120e3bcc88_b.jpg

When I heard the announcement last year, I immediately knew what I'm getting for my birthday last February. Took me 2 months, but the kit finally landed 2 days ago. First cut will have to wait though, for I'm still in process of moving all my stuffs to my new home. As for the idea, well...

7e83fa9f6c010c9d2cdf51efa4eb51e5.jpg

I know. I'm not creative. But I really dig Shmee150's spec for his Ford GT, what with the luscious Liquid Red paint and glorious gold stripe. Not getting the BBS FI-R wheels, though, since I can't reliably source any aftermarket parts from this side of the globe.

Anyway, that's for the introductory bits, next time it will be the first cut

• Like 3

6 hours ago, motogpMatt said:

Great choice buddy :) I too have recently picked up this kit and the liquid red from zero paints, Tim's car is the look I'm going for too!

Will follow with interest :)

Matt 

Pity I can't source Zero Paints on this side of the Earth. I heard they make the best colour to replicate the actual paint of the car. Oh well, guess I gotta resort to do metallic undercoat and layer it with some sort of red...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tyas said:

Pity I can't source Zero Paints on this side of the Earth. I heard they make the best colour to replicate the actual paint of the car. Oh well, guess I gotta resort to do metallic undercoat and layer it with some sort of red...

I'm sure someone over here could help out unless there are specific postal restrictions . . .

Hi again, after trying to convince myself to start, here's how I started.

46617444735_b480e7803c_b.jpg

47532842491_9b880a6368_b.jpg

46809198234_5ce03b5bc3_b.jpg

46809195274_87e13c5358_b.jpg

Looking at the number of parts, it's kind of daunting for me. But I already made Hasegawa's great-but-notoriously-fiddly F-14Bs several times, so this might be easier. Probably.

40566893513_5c420f8c1c_b.jpg

Didn;t take me long to realize that I was right. In no time at all I managed to build up the entire bodywork, no problem whatsoever. Might be a cliche, but this is that kind of kit where everything just falls together without even trying. Soon it's off to the painting booth... which is just my workshop table but with paint.

46809250574_07159a0d29_b.jpg

Using Mr. Color Gold as basis (as well as for those stripes), I sprayed a thin layer of Mr. Color Red FS11136 with some gold flakes infused in, before finally spraying Clear Red (again, with infusion of gold flakes). Really hard to see here, but it's there in real life. Also, you might notice a little f-up on the stripe on the roof. My cackhandedness is to blame for that one... Anyway, that's all for today, next time you're here, it'll be chassis business...

• Like 2

On 4/4/2019 at 7:44 PM, injidup said:

Hi Tyas. Apa kabar?

I see you’ve already painted the car, but Zero paints are now sold in Australia by BNA ModelWorld. Maybe they can ship to Indonesia?

Hmmmm interesting... I might gonna give it a try in the future. Would be interesting to see if I can order one there...

Anyway, next update will probably be up on Monday, since today I have to prepare for the launch of Aventador SVJ in Jakarta. Sooo... yeah. See you guys on Monday.