PBY-5A Catalina - Revell 1/48

Great work on the PBY, it's the first time I see how the True Detail cockpit looks when added.

I finished a Cat about a year ago with the Belcher Bit tail and it's a real tailsitter! I built it wheels up as I do not think you can make it stand on three wheels.

• Like 1

On 19/04/2019 at 22:02, kruzikrucken said:

Great work on the PBY, it's the first time I see how the True Detail cockpit looks when added.

I finished a Cat about a year ago with the Belcher Bit tail and it's a real tailsitter! I built it wheels up as I do not think you can make it stand on three wheels.

I know the issue of being a tail sitter, probably the resin tail didn't helped as i's heavier that plastic. Happened the same thing when i built my first 1/48 Cat a couple of years ago; The instructions said to add 50g of weight on the nose but, since i don't trust Revell i've added 122 grams of lead near the cockpit bulkhead😆 I'm going to use the metal landing gear by SAC so they should be strong enough to keep the plane stable.

I've added a plastic spacer above the central structure, now the wing fits almost perfectly and at the correct height. I've also removed the de-icer on the tail

(The wing isn't glued yet) 

30smDoN.jpg

ZTvNJR9.jpg

Edited by Giangio
  • Like 9

Ciao, Gianni!

She's looking sexy standing on her own high heels. 

4 hours ago, Giangio said:

Fortunately is not a tail sitter 

Used some weight on the nose to countersink her fat bottom, have ye?

Excellent work.

Cheers,

Unc2

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Ciao, Gianni!

She's looking sexy standing on her own high heels. 

Used some weight on the nose to countersink her fat bottom, have ye?

Excellent work.

Cheers,

Unc2

I did, i've added 122 grams of lead near the cockpit bulkhead but wasn't enough so i've added fishing weight into the front landing gear bay

Painted the propellers, but I'm not sure of the end result. I like the chipping but doesn't it look a bit off being completely black? 

spacer.png

• Like 8

22 hours ago, Giangio said:

Painted the propellers, but I'm not sure of the end result. I like the chipping but doesn't it look a bit off being completely black?

Propellers looks excellent with a chipping! 👍 I like it a lot!

1 hour ago, Giangio said:

Just wanted to share with you guys what arrived today at my place 😁

Nice kit!

• Thanks 1

the 13 Rudder stripes are painted, there are still some areas that must be corrected with the blue paint but most of the work is done

spacer.png

• Like 10

On 09/05/2019 at 14:08, Giangio said:

the 13 Rudder stripes are painted, there are still some areas that must be corrected with the blue paint but most of the work is done

Great work, @Giangio! The handles is also looking excellent - the nice small addition.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Great work, @Giangio! The handles is also looking excellent - the nice small addition.

Thanks, i should have changed them before starting the painting process, but i forgot about that detail 😕

4 hours ago, amblypygid said:

It's looking very nice indeed. Love the rudder stripes. 

Thanks a lot, it's my favorite part of the paint scheme

• Like 1

Ciao, Gianni!

Well, yer Cat is looking awesome with each passing week! Feels like building yet another Monogram kit, but then again, no room left to display it, I'm afraid.

Speak about sweet Italy; yesterday my sheila gave me the Esci 1/48 Aermacchi MB 326 kit as a gift. I was kind of impressed of the potential this old kit's got if you give her a Little bit of attention. Just ordered the resin cockpit by Vector to dress up the interior. Not much you can do with the pieces that come in the box.

Then again, I'm after the SkyModel resin wing tip tanks - since Heritage won't ship to Argieland (club Ian in "they're" skull, ya'll see:fight:).

No sign of those resin tanks on the Intertubes... Happen to know anything about SkyModel?

Was thinking we can still chop off the tail on yer Cat and replace it with the Belcher Bits one if I ever pay a visit to beautiful Torino one day. :bleh:

What say ye?

Cheers,

Unc2  

20 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Speak about sweet Italy; yesterday my sheila gave me the Esci 1/48 Aermacchi MB 326 kit as a gift. I was kind of impressed of the potential this old kit's got if you give her a Little bit of attention. Just ordered the resin cockpit by Vector to dress up the interior. Not much you can do with the pieces that come in the box.

Then again, I'm after the SkyModel resin wing tip tanks - since Heritage won't ship to Argieland (club Ian in "they're" skull, ya'll see:fight:).

No sign of those resin tanks on the Intertubes... Happen to know anything about SkyModel?

Hi Mate, for the wing tanks you have multiple choices:

• SkyModel set, which is for the Mb 339 (the tanks are the same)
  • Use the tanks of the Frems MB339 kit, but they are mm longer so you have to correct them
  • buy the Oz Moulds set 

I've translated what the Admin of an Italian forum said while building that same kit, in case you want to take a look here's the link, click Here, the model is a masterpiece. The droptanks are at page 17

No idea on what happened to the company tho

21 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Was thinking we can still chop off the tail on yer Cat and replace it with the Belcher Bits one if I ever pay a visit to beautiful Torino one day. :bleh:

What say ye?

No way Mate 😆 managed to avoid the tail sitter issue, there's also no room for other weight on the nose

19 hours ago, Giangio said:

• SkyModel set, which is for the Mb 339 (the tanks are the same)
  • Use the tanks of the Frems MB339 kit, but they are mm longer so you have to correct them
  • buy the Oz Moulds set 

I've translated what the Admin of an Italian forum said while building that same kit, in case you want to take a look here's the link, click Here, the model is a masterpiece. The droptanks are at page 17

Gianni!

This is such a great piece of info; thanks a lot, my mate! I was completely out with regard to the existence of the Oz Mods bit.

I'm ordering the tanks and, while at it, it's a very good chance to order the F-111 exhausts to replace those in the Hobby BooBoo kit.

Once again; what to say about Valerio's build? I'm just lost for words. Sometimes it only takes for one to judge a skilled modeller just by the kind of tools they use. What Valerio did was turning a rather basic kit into a masterpiece, and about the only aftermarket he used was the Vector cockpit. Superb!

I was looking at the nose on the Esci/Italeri kit - there's something that needs fixing to me. The upper surface of the nose is way off to me, but this is not the proper thread to discuss about that.

Many thanks, Gianni!

Cheers,

Unc2 

• Like 1