PBY-5A Catalina - Revell 1/48

Hi everyone! My next build will be my favorite aircraft, the 1/48 Cat from Revell, the camouflage will be the early WW2 U.S. Navy used until May 1943

ek1d3j5.jpg

Credits: Wingspalette

I will also this aftermarket parts:

• True Details Cockpit
  • True Details Wheels
  • Eduard PE Set (n.48182)
  • Quickboost Engines
  • Eduard Mask

Hope that someone is interested on this build 

• Like 12

Me too.  I had an uncle that flew with the US Navy during WWII in cats.  He was shot down 3 times shot down 11.5 japs and got 11 medals.

I also have the kit in the monstrous stash embarrassing stash.

Stephen

• Like 3

Wow this promises to be a beast... yet another model I would never have the space to display! Ah well, I shall enjoy watching this progress and let you worry about where it goes afterwards :D

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, clive_t said:

Wow this promises to be a beast... yet another model I would never have the space to display! Ah well, I shall enjoy watching this progress and let you worry about where it goes afterwards :D

don't worry about the space, this is the second Cat in 1/48 that i'm building, this will take the place of the old one 😆 i'm a PBY addicted 

Couldn't resist to see how the plane looks with the fuselage and wing attached 😆

yei4W1V.jpg

And i've drilled the holes into the exhaust since there aren't available other options (there is only one aftermarket exhaust but they have a different shape)

The one on the top-right is drilled the other 3 aren't  (just for a comparison purpose)

HuCDQbm.jpg

Again nothing too exciting today, hope that all aftermarket parts will arrive in the next few days so i can bring something interesting to you guys 

• Like 11

7 hours ago, Giangio said:

I will also this aftermarket parts:

• True Details Cockpit
  • True Details Wheels
  • Eduard PE Set (n.48182)
  • Quickboost Engines
  • Eduard Mask

Hi Gian

Nice kit that is! I built the 1/48 Monogram ProModeller kit some time ago, and the one tidbit I'd recommend you add to yer aftermarket list would be:

I started building my Catalina kit without it, and discovered it was quite a different kit with it, so I had to chop the entire tail off in order to graft the new correction bit onto it.

Won't regret the addition, trust me.

Will be following this one too.

Cheers,

Unc2

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Hi Gian

Nice kit that is! I built the 1/48 Monogram ProModeller kit some time ago, and the one tidbit I'd recommend you add to yer aftermarket list would be:

I started building my Catalina kit without it, and discovered it was quite a different kit with it, so I had to chop the entire tail off in order to graft the new correction bit onto it.

Won't regret the addition, trust me.

Will be following this one too.

Cheers,

Unc2

I know about the tail issue that this kit have, but i didn't bought the resin replacement because i'm not very confident doing this kind of work.  I've never done this and i think that i don't have enough experience to that😅

If something goes wrong i can't recover the kit so i prefer keeping as it is even if it is slightly incorrect.

Glad that there's some interest on this build, apparently i'm not the only one who loves this plane

Cheers from Italy😃🇮🇹

21 hours ago, Giangio said:

I know about the tail issue that this kit have, but i didn't bought the resin replacement because i'm not very confident doing this kind of work.  I've never done this and i think that i don't have enough experience to that😅

If something goes wrong i can't recover the kit so i prefer keeping as it is even if it is slightly incorrect.

Giani,

Fair enough, my mate. 👍

21 hours ago, Giangio said:

Glad that there's some interest on this build, apparently i'm not the only one who loves this plane

The Catalina is such a lovely plane, and the 1/48th scale makes her justice.

20 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

I was not aware of the tail problem.

Ray, neither did I, until I saw this piccy of the difference it makes with and without the Belcher Bits bit.

example.jpg&key=54ac8055f4b49242801c6f6c

The width of the tail at the base would remind me of Patrick Star in SpongeBob Squarepants cartoon even before I learnt of this correction set, tho. It did look odd... The kit is completely different with it.

Cheers,

Unc2

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

First Aftermarket pieces have arrived, waiting tomorrow for the remaining pieces

aOEBRMk.jpg

The cockpit set seems that it went to war by it's conditions. There are a few cracks in the resin, i putted some drops of superglue on the cracks to increase a bit the strength of the pieces 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Giangio said:

The cockpit set seems that it went to war by it's conditions. There are a few cracks in the resin, i putted some drops of superglue on the cracks to increase a bit the strength of the pieces 

Hi Giani!

Cool bits to go with yer Cat. Well, my resin aftermarket bits take so long to arrive to Buenos Aires from just anywhere in the world that it's as though they would ride on the back of a sea turtle...

What's with the kit wheels? Ain't the plastic ones flattened out on the bottoms? The True detail ones need to be turned on a rotating tool in order to get rid of that flat-tyre look. I got a set for my 1/48 Lancaster and B-29 kits.

Incidentally; have you already decided whether the wingtip floats will be up or deployed?

Cheers,

Unc2

P.S: Hi Werner, my mate! :bye:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Hi Giani!

Cool bits to go with yer Cat. Well, my resin aftermarket bits take so long to arrive to Buenos Aires from just anywhere in the world that it's as though they would ride on the back of a sea turtle...

What's with the kit wheels? Ain't the plastic ones flattened out on the bottoms? The True detail ones need to be turned on a rotating tool in order to get rid of that flat-tyre look. I got a set for my 1/48 Lancaster and B-29 kits.

Incidentally; have you already decided whether the wingtip floats will be up or deployed?

Cheers,

Unc2

P.S: Hi Werner, my mate! :bye:

Wingtips floats are already glued in the up position, if u want them deployed, you must buy the eduard PE set cause there's no detail at all

Looking forward to this. I bought the flattened tires 20 years ago because they looked so cool when I first saw them.

I've finally gotten my hands on a kit and the Belcher Bits tail correction and have been trying to decide on a scheme. I like your choice of an early star/red dot scheme with that striped tail.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Giangio said:

Wingtips floats are already glued in the up position

Ciao Giani!

That's the way I like the wingtip floats on my Catalina kit as well. Y'see, I've got it sitting on their (tricyle) landing gear, so with the wingtip floats down I thought it looked like a Catalina on crutches, sort of... :rofl:

Impressive work on the windshield. Separate wipers will make your Cat look less toy-like, I think.

2 hours ago, paulsbrown said:

Looking forward to this. I bought the flattened tires 20 years ago because they looked so cool when I first saw them.

I've finally gotten my hands on a kit and the Belcher Bits tail correction and have been trying to decide on a scheme. 

Paul, what kit is that? You mean the True Detail wheels? The wheels on the ProModeller 1/48 Catalina brings the injection-mould styrene wheels already flattened out, whithout the overdone bulged rim on the True Detail bits.

Cheers

Unc2

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Paul, what kit is that? You mean the True Detail wheels? The wheels on the ProModeller 1/48 Catalina brings the injection-mould styrene wheels already flattened out, whithout the overdone bulged rim on the True Detail bits.

Yes, it's definitely the True Details wheels set. Got the old Eduard etch sheet too and now you've made me realize that window masking might be needed...

Today i glued the resin side walls to the fuselage and added the resin bomb sight. Then i removed the seat belts from the kit seats but i still have to do some clean up work

lKx098R.jpg

q6qFSOr.jpg

SVmJGaA.jpg

• Like 10