Blast From the Past: Airfix Albatros D V von Hippel

Evening All,

Moa has recently posted his Airfix Hannover HaWa F3 cabin conversion, which has lozenge camouflage on the wings. I noted that I had hand painted the lozenge on this Airfix Albatros which I put together more decades ago than I care to remember......

The model represents the D V of Lt von Hippel of Jasta 5 who was killed when he entered a steep dive and his wings fell off: a weakness of this aircraft which was caused by the sesquiplane wing structure. Under the high stress of a steep dive the lower wing spar twisted and failed with catastrophic consequences. The designers tried to rectify the problem by adding a small stiffner strut from the leading edge of the wing to the base of the V strut, but most pilots refused to go into a steep dive in persuit of an opponent. Lt von Hippel was an early victim of this problem. I have also painted the distinctive fuselage marking in red: some sources give it as black. There are also differences of opinion as to the shape of the arrow but as I had not seen any photos of the machine when i made this model, I used the only published source available to me. The lozenge markings were painted by hand, but I did not attempt the rib tapes as I did not have a suitable pen. I am also aware of the shortcomings of the Airfix kit, (one of thier earliest relaeses, from I think, 1958). In any event here is the model - about 45 years after I painted it.....

47452589972_9f1bab8c1d_c.jpg

47452589432_554385618c_c.jpg

33628660538_50138c8e45_c.jpg

47452590382_c50b5ec346_c.jpg

47505368821_3db56a5410_c.jpg

Thanks for looking.

P

• Like 31

Hi Phoenix,

brilliant job, irrespective of the time lapse!

Four decades ago photo references were almost non-existent, as you rightfully mention, and everybody was blundering in the dark... So whether the arrow was red or green on your Albatros must have, I am sure, given way to massive duels between the Illuminati of the time. So you chose red... and nobody could have proven you wrong then...

Good on you!

And yes, this kit has more than just a few "shortcomings", as you politely stress, but it still builds into an elegant biplane.

Well done and congrats to your younger self!

And kudos to your present self for safeguarding this relic over the eons!

JR

• Like 1

I love the idea of painstakingly painting the lozenge camouflage onto wings of an aircraft that has a fuselage so garish you could see it beyond the horizon.

It shows modelling dedication and skill.

And a little hint of crazy too that makes it all the more fun.

• Like 1

Lovely job, especially on the lozenge!

I do notice from your pics just how plump the old Airfix kit is, I hadn't noticed that before.

Ian

• Like 1

Lovely job Steve. Let take a moment to thank the modelling gods for the creation of lozenge decals. My lozenge crisis was hand painting an Airfix Hannover. Once was enough. BTW I think von Hippel survived both the crash and two world wars.

Regards, Steve

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moa said:

What a fantastic painting work you have done there. I would never even attempt such a thing.

Oh, the patience!

Excellent!

Cheers

Thank you for the compliment Moa: coming from a modeller/artist with your skill I greatly appreciate the comment. Like you my eyesight is not what it once was, so I doubt whether I will attempt such a project again.

P

Edited by pheonix

Very impressive on many levels. 

First, you've managed to keep your hold of a model for 45 years. 

Second, it's still in one piece. 

Third, the hand painted lozenge pattern is superb. 

Fourth, the remaining colour scheme is beautifully hand painted. 

Fifth, you show the old (but new at the time of the build) Airfix Albatross to its best advantage. 

And then you top it all off with a great back story. 

All in all, a beautiful piece of modelling. 

PS Does it show that I'm envious??? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...