The Thud over Germany - F-105s of USAFE

The Thud over Germany – F-105s of USAFE 1961 to 1967

IMG_2299

The Story

Anyone who has stood in front of a Thunderchief can only wonder how young pilots could master such a massive beast with a huge engine and small wings, but during May 1961 the first F-105Ds were flown direct from the USA to Bitburg in Germany, where they replaced the F-100 Super Sabres of the 36th TFW. They were brand new aircraft. The 49th TFW at Spangdahlem also received its new aircraft from October 1961 onwards. This was at the height of the Cold War and their principal role was nuclear strike, a mission known as ‘Victor Alert’ in the USAF.

This was a big, complex aeroplane and brought with it big, complex maintenance problems. So much so that all aircraft were upgraded from 1962 onwards to a nominally common standard in a programme named ‘Project Look Alike’. This included many system upgrades but also required improved sealing between panels and a painted aluminium finish. An airfield arrestor hook was also fitted. Centralised maintenance was also introduced which meant an end to individual squadron markings.

By the mid 1960s the Vietnam war was taking a significant toll on F-105s and during 1966 and 1967 the F-105s were transferred back to the USA as attrition replacements. By then there were enough F-4D Phantoms for the USAFE wings to re-equip.

IMG_2315

The colour schemes

Aircraft were delivered in natural metal finish with glossy black radomes and matt olive drab upper fuselage.

Those returned from the ‘Look Alike’ upgrades had the aluminium paint finish which replaced the natural metal.

Finally the Vietnam type camouflage was applied during 1965, which also removed all squadron markings.

Squadron markings were applied as follows:

36th TFW had three squadrons which were the 22nd, 23rd and 53rd TFS. Initially, during the natural metal period, each squadron displayed it’s colour on the fin in the form of 3 coloured stripes on a white diagonal background. The colours were 22TFS red, 23TFS blue and 53TFS yellow. After centralised maintenance was introduced all three colours were carried on the white diagonal on the fin.

The 49th TFW squadrons were the 7th, 8th and 9th TFS. (7TFS blue, 8TFS yellow, 9TFS red). All aircraft carried a fin flash consisting of the wing badge and the three squadron stripes. Individual squadron colours were carried on undercarriage doors and sometimes on the nosewheel leg radar reflector. After centralised maintenance a three-coloured lightning flash was carried on the nose in addition to the fin marking.

When camouflage was introduced, no wing or squadron ident was carried.

IMG_2290

The Models

F-105D 60-0466 36th TFW / 22nd TFS, Bitburg, 1961 illustrating the early natural metal scheme.

This is the fairly rare 1/72 Revell kit (looking very much like a down sized Monogram 1/48 kit). The kit represents a late Vietnam war F-105D and needed back dating. This meant removal of RHAW antennas, strike camera, wing strengthening plates, engine cooling scoops and gun cooling vents. The fin leading edge cooling intake needed enlarging and the aft part of the spine in front of this intake needed removing. Since the kit has raised line surface detail, this was all removed and re-scribed. This was all quite a lot of work but this is the best shaped F-105D so it was worth it. Finish was Alclad and AK metallics over Tamiya primer. Decals were mainly from Wolfpack.

IMG_2308

IMG_2303

IMG_2302

IMG_2300

IMG_2299

00452-O

F-105F 63-8300 49th TFW / 9th TFS, Spangdahlem, 1963 illustrating the aluminium painted finish.

This the Airfix kit with replacement canopy. The nose shape is too bulbous on this kit but it was the only 2 seater I had at the time! The Revell F-105G would make a better basis for this if you can face all the back dating and re-scribing! This also illustrates the red squadron colour on the undercarriage doors.

IMG_2319

IMG_2316

IMG_2315

IMG_2314

F-105F

F-105D 60-0511 49th TFW, Spangdahlem, 1965 illustrating the Vietnam camo finish.

This is from the old Hasegawa kit. This was used as it represents the right configuration – i.e. it doesn’t have RHAW antennas, cooling scoops and vents, etc. The nose and canopy are not quite right on this kit and the undercarriage legs are about 1 cm too  long – if you built it from the box you will have a Thunderchief standing on tip toes. The wing pylons have been replaced (kit pylons are far too small) and the drop tank fins were ridiculously thick and have been reworked. If I wanted another F-105D I wouldn’t go for this one! Maybe the Trumpeter kit would be better if you don’t mind all those rivets.

IMG_2296

IMG_2295

IMG_2293

IMG_2291

49 TFW Camo 1_0001

IMG_2290

• Like 46

Excellent Thuds! Very interesting info too, it's good to read the facts behind the aircraft, brings the kits to life a bit. I need to start making some USAFE stuff.

A great trio of this beast.  I particulalrly like the 'natural metal' version.  The different sheens/shades are beautifully done and I especially like the discolouration over the upper rear fuselage.

3 hours ago, John R said:

Are all these recent builds, Chris, or has it been a steady process?

Hi John - The F-105F was built way back - 1980s I think! The natural metal F-105D I finished towards the end of last year. Now here's the bit you won't believe - the camo F-105D was the old Frog kit that I bought for £10 at Southern Expo about 3 weeks back. I don't think there's ever been such a short time between buying and finishing in 50 years of modelling!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

A Thud never fails to impress and you've captured their tough, ruggedness couple with sleek beauty, very well. A wonderful collection.

Martin 

Neighbours, eh @John R and @CT Modeller :)

As you live just up the road from me we've probably met without knowing it!

OMG! Magnificent Thuds! Loved the F-105D, and you did a wonderful job backdating the kit! If  Martin liked them, then that's high praise, indeed! I am jealous of your Thuds! Thanks for sharing them with the rest of us! Am awesome performer- rock steady at speed and down in the weeds, almost impossible to catch! Like all Republic fighters, she was beloved by pilots and ground crews alike!

Mike