Lancaster PB565 1667 HCU (help required)

Dan_RAFBC

Would anybody be able to help identify any more information about Lancaster PB565? Especially the aircraft code and squadron code worn when it crashed. Also after previous units/squadrons, I have come across it being operated by 156 Squadron in November 1944.

Avro Lancaster Mk.III, PB565, 1667 HCU, RAF Sandtoft, 15th April 1945.

Airborne 1455 from Sandtoft on cross-country flight. At 1525 aircraft observed to nose over and dive to the ground. Crash site given as sheet 39 265185. P/O H.P. Speed KIA, F/S R. Ollerton KIA, F/S J.W. Hamilton RAAF KIA, F/O B.A. Savage KIA, F/O E.B. Carss KIA, Sgt S.J. Kingdon KIA, Sgt R.B.R. Cook KIA, Sgt E.H.J. Martin KIA.

1667 HCU codes on Lancaster’s: GG, KR and LR 

source: http://www.lancaster-archive.com/bc_sqncodes.htm

Unfortunately all the crew were killed when the Lancaster came down near Owston Ferry, a memorial is trying to be organised near the crash site.

My usual "go to" reference source, Malcolm Barrass's "Air of Authority" site has no further information on the Lanc's specific identity so I imagine it's going to be very difficult to find. Good luck with your search, you could try asking on RAF Commands forum, lots of very knowledgeable people there. 

Max 

• Thanks 1

All I can tell you is that it was coded GT-R when at 156 Sqn. There might be something in the 1667 HCU file at the National Archives, ref AIR29/614/3. Brace yourself for  disappointment though, these things contain weather reports, sports results, listings for the station cinema etc. rather than codes.  

One day, I'd like the IBCC to have a cross reference of code/serial combinations from donated log books. They are working on tabulating their donations, so it could end up as quite a resource. Give them a try, you might get lucky with an entry from someone who trained at Sandtoft. I imagine most crews went on to One Group. What does the grid ref convert to on a modern map? I have aerial photos around Owston Ferry when researching the bombing decoy. Good Luck.   

• Thanks 1