DH60 Cirrus Moth seat colour

bigbadbadge

Hi all

I have an A Model 1/48 DH60 C kit and have a question about the seat colour.  The kit is for the lovely G-EBLV aircraft and I know the interior is light grey but the kit manufacturer says humbrol 62 leather colour for the seats. 

Is this correct ? I can imagine a seat cushion being that colour or have the whole seats been covered ?

I have tried to search but can only find a couple of pics of the port sidewall and instrument panels but none of the seats. 

Would it be feasible that they could be the same grey as the rest of the cockpit ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

All the best

Chris

The problem with many pre-war types is that unless there was a military manual then very few cockpits  were photographed as not only were the cockpits apertures quite narrow to to keep out as much draft as possible so taking a photograph wasn't easy.

The panel sometimes appeared in adverts by instrument makers and that's the way the camera was pointed.  Many pre-war light types only possessed a lap strap and later a three/four point harness if it was a deemed aerobatic. Parachutes weren't commonplace  and so leather cushions were fitted into the seat pan with sometimes a leather back cushion if the seat back wasn't upholstered. Many survivors have had modernized comfort and safety features, which can confuse.

I'm still looking for something definitive.

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/31/2019 at 11:30 PM, John Aero said:

The problem with many pre-war types is that unless there was a military manual then very few cockpits  were photographed as not only were the cockpits apertures quite narrow to to keep out as much draft as possible so taking a photograph wasn't easy.

The panel sometimes appeared in adverts by instrument makers and that's the way the camera was pointed.  Many pre-war light types only possessed a lap strap and later a three/four point harness if it was a deemed aerobatic. Parachutes weren't commonplace  and so leather cushions were fitted into the seat pan with sometimes a leather back cushion if the seat back wasn't upholstered. Many survivors have had modernized comfort and safety features, which can confuse.

I'm still looking for something definitive.

John

Thanks John 

Very interesting, in this age where everything is at our fingertips on mini devices with lots of CPU capacity and cameras, you don't often think of this.  The A Model kit, I imagine was presumably designed with the aircraft as it  was in fairly recent times (prior to it's current condition with those round patches on the top wing, some health and safety considerations I presume). The earlier condition may be easier to model with Lap belts and leather cushions perhaps.

Thanks John for your assistance and knowledge and time, it's very much appreciated.

All the very best

Chris

On 3/31/2019 at 2:33 AM, John Aero said:

Chris,

I'll have a look through my stuff later but I'm sure that the seats will be the Grey and the seat Cushion brown leather.

John

The Kidston family still has the original seat cushion from Home Kidston's DH.60M Moth (G-AAXG) and it is a dark brown leather.

Tim

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, VH-USB said:

The Kidston family still has the original seat cushion from Home Kidston's DH.60M Moth (G-AAXG) and it is a dark brown leather.

Tim

Thanks Tim that's great, I will use that too, I will try to do one with some wear. 

A big thank you to John and yourself for the info. I will hopefully be able to start soon as I am finishing off some in progress builds and clearing some room.

Thanks guys

All the best

Chris

3 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Thanks Tim that's great, I will use that too, I will try to do one with some wear. 

A big thank you to John and yourself for the info. I will hopefully be able to start soon as I am finishing off some in progress builds and clearing some room.

Thanks guys

All the best

Chris

Hi Chris,

Somewhere I have a color photo of the Home Kidston Moth seat cushion. If I can locate it I will send it along to you.

Home Kidston saved the seat cushion as it had been signed by many friends who flew with him in the Moth.

Cheers,

Tim

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, VH-USB said:

Hi Chris,

Somewhere I have a color photo of the Home Kidston Moth seat cushion. If I can locate it I will send it along to you.

Home Kidston saved the seat cushion as it had been signed by many friends who flew with him in the Moth.

Cheers,

Tim

Wow thanks Tim, that would be very helpful. And what an amazing keepsake too. 

Thank you.

All the best

Chris