"Fun" with Photo-etch - Possibly. Eduard 1/48 Bell X-1

Hi There,

After our sojourn into Armour Country with our wintry Tiger Innis and I came back to Aviation.

This was my choice to build as I've always wanted one . More to do with The Late Great Sam Shepard's magnetic portayal in "The Right Stuff"

This was the Eduard Profipack and I picked up additional Photo-Etch. The first real attempt at using this so I thought that it might be a touch simpler in a larger scale. Guess how that worked out.

Fun was had. Lessons were learned especially as I threw away the mixed Orange colour after all the pieces were painted not realising that I might need some for touch ups. Hmmm.

I'm pretty chuffed with the result and it looks really cool in the display cabinet.

Enough waffle Ali on with the pics.

TC0TuHK.jpg

LdYK0v5.jpg

pi9VS0U.jpg

mYxxd5y.jpg

As always, Many Thanks for looking and any comments or criticism welcome

Cheers,

Ali

• Like 16

43 minutes ago, Matt P said:

Was this at the Darlington show today? Looks cool👍

Hi There,

No I wasn't anywhere near Darlington today just stuck in Polmont.

Many Thanks for your kind comment.

Cheers,

Alistair

16 hours ago, Matt P said:

Was this at the Darlington show today? Looks cool👍

Exactly the same thought went through my mind, round mirror and door resting on the starboard wing.  What are the odds, now I know how to do mine. :whistle:

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Exactly the same thought went through my mind, round mirror and door resting on the starboard wing.  What are the odds, now I know how to do mine. :whistle:

hi There,

Was it yours at the Darlington Show then?

Nice work! I've always wanted one of these as well. Sam Shepard made that movie for me, and really nailed the mythology of that era. I had the chance to see Yeager give a speech once at an airshow, and afterwards I decided I didn't care for the man. He didn't seem at all like Sam Shepard!    :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Was it yours at the Darlington Show then?

I was at the Darlington show, but it was not my X-1.  Mine is still in the stash, I was just agreeing how they were both on round mirror bases and had the door on the wing. 

11 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Nice work! I've always wanted one of these as well. Sam Shepard made that movie for me, and really nailed the mythology of that era. I had the chance to see Yeager give a speech once at an airshow, and afterwards I decided I didn't care for the man. He didn't seem at all like Sam Shepard!    :)

That is like the actor Kenneth More who portrayed Douglas Bader in Reach for the Sky, made him seem a much nicer person than he actually was.

23 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Cheers,

Bill

Many Thanks for your kind comment. 

Yes Sam Shepard made the entire film for me he was also the man who wrote the definitive book on Dylan's Rolling thunder Revue.