Airfix 1/72 Lockheed U-2 Spyplane

Robert

Hello ,

I will be building the  Airfix 1/72 U-2 Spy plane. Here are the box top and sprues and will be staring this on Monday (01/04/19) and no it is not an Aprils Fool ! I also have the Caracal decal sheet for it, so undecided which scheme to do.

DSCN2985

DSCN2986

DSCN2988

DSCN2989

Robert

• Like 14

same here, it's awesome to have one of these in the build, welcome along Robert.

I had actually forgotten about this aircraft for the GB, so glad someone didn't forget about her. It's had to imagine that this aircraft is older than most of us and still in use and useful.....unlike most of us! :D

Good luck with the build, I think there'll be quite a few followers on this build, I do look forward to seeing her in the gallery.

• Haha 1

Hello everyone,

I made a start on this yesterday but I forgot to mention that I have the U-2C sprue as well with the bigger intakes and canoe fairing on top.

DSCN3021

So I made a start on the wings and found this on the inside

DSCN3015

Anyway I glued the wings together leaving out the wing pods so put the replacement parts on and out with the filler and rubbed it down. I was not too bothered with the panel lines as I might rescribe them.

DSCN3018

DSCN3020

DSCN3019

I will be doing the cockpit parts next. I have yet to decide what version to do from the Caracal sheet, it is either a black and grey one or one in dark sea blue.

Robert

• Like 6

Latest update.

I am undecided which markings I should do from the Caracal sheet. On the pics below it is one of those 3, Option 5,6 or 7. They are all similar apart from the heat shroud on the 2 GSB versions but I can decide later on once all the major assemblies are together.

DSCN3026

DSCN3027

I have spent most of my time cleaning up the parts. There is a panel line that needs to be removed as the inlet boundary plate goes over the fuselage. Also the intake parts have their callout numbers on them so needs removing and also the injection pin marks. The speed brakes also need attention as they need a sliver of plasticard to fill in gaps.

DSCN3017

DSCN3022

DSCN3030

DSCN3031

DSCN3025

I also spent some time on the main undercarriage unit. I added parts from plasticard and sprayed it aluminum.

DSCN3029

DSCN3032

I have made a start on the cockpit. The kit does not provide any side consoles and the seat is not much. There is a instrument panel including the radar scope.

DSCN3023

I have also rescribed the wings but because the plastic is grey it does not show up on a photo. Next will be the cockpiit and putting the fuselage together.

Robert

• Like 4

Is this the spy plane that got shot down over Russia and the Bridge of Spies film was based on? 

Nice choice, I might have a look for one of these for the Lockheed BG

3 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Is this the spy plane that got shot down over Russia and the Bridge of Spies film was based on? 

Yes Francis Gary Powers was flying a U2 when he was shot down. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1960_U-2_incident

This will explain it a bit better than i can. But rumor has it the Soviets shot down quite a number of Migs as well that day. The basically flooded the sky with SA-2’s and hoped it would get the U-2. The Mig’s were collateral damage. They couldn't be moved away and still have any chance of getting the U-2. Don't know if its true or not, but thats the rumor I'm familiar with. 

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That’s quite interesting Dennis thanks!...had a wee interest in this since I saw the film 

what kind of MiGs would they have been back then? 15?s

That link is great just been working my way through, thanks for sharing. It says MiG 19 and SU-9s tried intercepts. Yep your build will be an interesting one. Bridge of Spies for me once mrs V is in bed and catch up on this build 

• Like 1

nice little bit of extra work done there.

Is a bit odd that they put the callout number on the inside like that, I thought they'd stop doing that ages ago.

Hi,

The previous photo above showed the cockpit. I replaced the seat with one from a Skyhawk which looked similar. I did a few changes to the head box which is about it. I added some etch side consoles added the kit instrument panel and control stick. The putty is to clean up the shroud.

DSCN3043

The area behind the front cockpit has the second cockpit panel over it but there is a gap behind it which was filled in with plasticard and cleaned up later.

DSCN3058

The speed brakes were attached and the gaps are to be filled in.

DSCN3059

From the photo above you can see the tailwheel housing which I removed and replaced it with some depth to it. I also changed the wheel/tyre to show the 2 wheels instead of the roller type Airfix made.

DSCN3062

DSCN3056

DSCN3057

DSCN3063

DSCN3034

DSCN3060

DSCN3061

Fuselage is to cleaned up in the next posting and intakes.

Robert

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Hi, sorry for the lack of updates as I have had a family bereavement. These were the last I was able to do  but am now back and hope to finish it in time.

I boxed the tailwheel assembly and added some detail to it

DSCN3067

This is the cockpit just need to add the canopy

DSCN3064

The intakes and speedbrakes needed filler

DSCN3065

DSCN3066

A coat of primer was applied to check for any additional repair work

DSCN3068

Hopefully it is near the end now, wings, tail planes, undercarriage and the paint scheme to sort out.

Robert

• Like 3

Sorry to hear about your loss Robert. The U-2 is coming along well and will look impresive when those long wings go on.