1/48 - Nakajima A2N3 & A2N2 by ABK Models (ex-A.B.&K hobby kits) - released - new A2N2 boxing

Homebee

A new Ukrainian model company A.B.&K hobby kits (https://www.abkmodels.cz/About-us-a1_0.htm) is to release a 1/48th Nakajima A2N3 kit - ref. 48003

UPDATE 08/2021

ABK Models (earlier A.B.&K Hobby Kits and A.B.&K Models) was created by three enthusiatic modellers for other modellers to share our passion together.

We are trying to offer models that are beyond the viewing angle for large manufacturers.

We have evolved from modeling, through the production of patterns, casting our models from resin until we have fulfilled the dream and released our first molded model.

We have started in Ukraine very long time ago, but over time and at present we operate only in the Czech Republic in the city Most, where we provide all our production and distribution.

We hope that our work will bring joy to modellers.

Sources: 

http://www.greenmats.club/forums/topic/5770-nakajima-a2n3-148-от-abk-hobby-kits/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/greenmats/permalink/2263712230354973/

55908387.jpg

55764345.jpg

55622802.jpg

56252813.jpg 55875466.jpg 

55551826.jpg

V.P.

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 11

A very welcome kit!  The test shots look great and I notice the elevators are not butt jointed but have slots for positive attachment.  This looks to be a very nice kit.

21 hours ago, oggy4u said:

Great looking kit . Should be an excellent build . Does anyone know what the difference is between the A2N3 and the A2N1 and 2 ? 

I believe the A2N2 had spats on the wheels .

N3 has the 5° upper wing dihedral.

Vedran

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Release is now announced for January 2020

Source: https://www.facebook.com/ABKModels/photos/a.235530939960649/1377995029047562/ 

KIT in process! Waiting in January 2020!
Nakajima A2N3 Navy type 90-III Carrier-Based fighter
Scale 1:48
Model No 4003

79711281-1377995035714228-26272660007304

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

On 4/4/2019 at 4:31 PM, oggy4u said:

Great looking kit . Should be an excellent build . Does anyone know what the difference is between the A2N3 and the A2N1 and 2 ? 

I believe the A2N2 had spats on the wheels .

Wiki says that:

"A2N1

(Navy Type 90-I Carrier-based fighter) - Guns located in both sides of the nose, but few produced.

A2N2

(Navy Type 90-II Carrier-based fighter) - Guns transferred to the upper surface of the nose, the fuel tanks mounted on the fuselage sides.

A2N3

(Navy Type 90-III Carrier-based fighter) - principal production variant. 5° of dihedral on upper mainplane.

A3N3-1

two-seat trainer"

The "history of war" web site confirms:

"The Nakajima A2N was a naval fighter designed to replace the Nakajima A1N in the Imperial Japanese Navy. Like the A1N the A2N was an unequal-span single-bay biplane, powered by a version of the Bristol Jupiter radial engine, in this case Nakajima's licence built modification of that engine, the Ha-1 Kotobuki 2.  The prototype, which flew in 1930, had spatted wheel fairing around the main undercarriage, although this feature wasn't included in production versions.

The prototype showed that the A2N was an agile aircraft, and later in 1930 it was accepted for production as the Navy Type 90 Carrier Fighter. A total of 106 aircraft were built between 1930 and 1935, and for much of that time the A2N served alongside the A1N, which remained in front line service until 1935.

The A2N was produced in several versions. The A2N1 had a level upper wing, but dihedral on the lower wing. Its twin machine guns were mounted low on the fuselage, making them difficult to clear if they jammed. The A2N2 had the same arrangement of wings as the A2N1, but the guns were moved into a more conventional position on the upper fuselage. Finally the A2N3 had dihedral on both upper and lower wings. The A2N was also used as the basis of the two-seat A3N trainer.

The A2N saw active service during the Sino-Japanese War, operating from the carrier Kaga as part of the 2nd Carrier Division. The Kaga and its aircraft operated in the Shanghai area during the fighting in 1937.  "

Some 100 A2N were constructed. The developmnet was A4N, some 200 built, served in line till 1938

Cheers

J-W

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

40 euros plus shipping for a small biplane kit, no PE, resin parts or masks? If compared with an Eduard Profipack release of a WWI biplane (between 11 and 15 euros) or even their last limited edition of the Hanriot HD.I (17 euros) that come with extras goodies, a price like this is a ripoff. I struggle to understand the reasoning behind these new companies and their price tags. Even considering the fact that they are releasing never before kitted subjects, I don´t get how they get to a price tag of 40 euros for a kit that has less than 60 parts and offers no extras whatsoever. Wingsy Kits and Clearprop are going the same way. Interesting subjects but high price tags and low availability. I´m not a marketing expert and I now they have to pay for new molds but still, I don´t think this is the way to go. It´s not like these brands are like Tamiya, that can stick whatever price tag they want to their kits and people will buy. Anyway, I hope they have success. I really like the subject, bur for this price tag, I´ll pass.

Edited by dreamwriter

2 hours ago, dreamwriter said:

40 euros plus shipping for a small biplane kit, no PE, resin parts or masks? If compared with an Eduard Profipack release of a WWI biplane (between 11 and 15 euros) or even their last limited edition of the Hanriot HD.I (17 euros) that come with extras goodies, a price like this is a ripoff. I struggle to understand the reasoning behind these new companies and their price tags. Even considering the fact that they are releasing never before kitted subjects, I don´t get how they get to a price tag of 40 euros for a kit that has less than 60 parts and offers no extras whatsoever. Wingsy Kits and Clearprop are going the same way. Interesting subjects but high price tags and low availability. I´m not a marketing expert and I now they have to pay for new molds but still, I don´t think this is the way to go. It´s not like these brands are like Tamiya, that can stick whatever price tag they want to their kits and people will buy. Anyway, I hope they have success. I really like the subject, bur for this price tag, I´ll pass.

Somewhat niche subject by new(ish) company = low production run

Low production run + high tool quality = high unit cost

As you say, they're not Tamiya and because of that they can't sell at rock bottom prices. Somehow bills need to be paid.

J

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JeffreyK said:

Somewhat niche subject by new(ish) company = low production run

Low production run + high tool quality = high unit cost

As you say, they're not Tamiya and because of that they can't sell at rock bottom prices. Somehow bills need to be paid.

J

Jeffrey, I get that, I really do. But they have to take into account the market prices. I´m not saying they shouldn´t put such a price tag on their kits, so they can cover production costs and profit. What I´m saying, and that´s why I compared it to Eduard releases, is that they could at least offer something more in the box that could make it more attractive for modellers to look beyond the high price tag. It´s an interesting release? No doubt. But is it worth 40 euros plus shipping (in my case total goes to almost 50 euros)? I don´t think so. An example: I bought the new Eduard Desert Babe Tornado edition for 43 euros (37,50 without shipping) and thats a whole lot more plastic, masks, resin and PE set in the box. That said, I can´t convince myself to pay 40 something euros for a kit with no extras in the box. And usually these small companies, struggle to have a wide distribution. I know for a fact for example that most of the portuguese model shops haven´t ordered any of the Wingsy Kits models, due to the projected final price tag they would have to charge customers. Only one online shop ordered the latest Sonia release and they are asking 50 euros plus shipping.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2020 at 3:50 PM, dreamwriter said:

An example: I bought the new Eduard Desert Babe Tornado edition for 43 euros (37,50 without shipping) and thats a whole lot more plastic, masks, resin and PE set in the box.

The plastic is Revell's (list price €29.95).

If the product & price is not to your liking, that's ok. I don't think it's a fair comparison however.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2020 at 7:30 PM, alt-92 said:

The plastic is Revell's (list price €29.95).

If the product & price is not to your liking, that's ok. I don't think it's a fair comparison however.

I'm comparing quantity of plastic and amount of extras in the box against price asked.Why ia it not a fair comparison? Because the base kit from Revell is cheap? What about if we compare it to any Eduard Profipack kit of a WWII era fighter,or even one of their WWI biplanes? Both examples under 30 euros against the 40 euros plus shipping for the A2N3 kit.

Product is to my liking of course.But a price higher than the Tamiya molds like the Ki-61 or the Spit Mk.1,its not to my liking at all.

I'm referring to comparing a small, new, limited-run kit manufacturer to an established manufacturer that has multiple product types & lines over which costs & revenue can be spread.

• Like 1