Goodyear Eagle 1/20 decals

Timbo343

I've come to start the Jordan 191 1/20 model by Tamiya and it appears that the white tyre decals have stuck to the seethrough protective sheet that protect the decals due to the age of the kit.

Does anyone know where i can get the 1:20 Goodyear Eagle decals from please.

Thanks

Please excuse me if I'm stating the obvious, but do you know the Goodyear tyre decals are printed backwards and applied completely different to normal decals?

The decals should be on the thin clear sheet and applied to the tyre dry, then wetted and the sheet removed leaving the decal.

Apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick.

Cheers,

Stuart

As Stu said, be aware that these are dry transfers, not waterslide decals. It's not common that they got damaged. I have a kit from 1991 where dry transfers are perfect. And they are supposed to be stick to the clear sheet, specular. So watch out before tossing them away.

Edited by fet_thunderdome

You can sometime also obtain a PhotoEtch stencil for Goodyear, which you hold against the tyre and paint thru (removing the need for decals altogether).

I haven’t seen them listed for a while, but there might be an old one out there somewhere.

edit. Hiroboy have some, but depends on the era which you need.

Edited by sennapod
Update

On 30/03/2019 at 14:44, Timbo343 said:

I've come to start the Jordan 191 1/20 model by Tamiya and it appears that the white tyre decals have stuck to the seethrough protective sheet that protect the decals due to the age of the kit.

Does anyone know where i can get the 1:20 Goodyear Eagle decals from please.

Thanks

Post a photo of them and we can tell you if they're correct/usable. They are different to normal waterslide decals as already mentioned..

It looks like they have got wet and then dryed out leaving some with parts attached to the backing sheet.

The spray masks available is probably the best way to go.

Something like this:

https://www.hiroboy.com/120_Goodyear_Eagle_Tyre_Stencil_Template--product--7786.html

Edited by Stu_davros
  • Thanks 1

After having purchased 2x stencils i dont really know what i'm meant to do with them. i've tried painting through the stencil onto the tyre but this didn't really work out.

Should i have secured the stencil to the rim of the tyre and used an air brush to get the lettering onto the tyre?

3 hours ago, Timbo343 said:

After having purchased 2x stencils i dont really know what i'm meant to do with them. i've tried painting through the stencil onto the tyre but this didn't really work out.

Should i have secured the stencil to the rim of the tyre and used an air brush to get the lettering onto the tyre?

Yes, the stencils only really work with an airbrush or spray can.

Tape the stencil to the tyre with masking tape, making sure to cover the rest of the tyre and a couple of light coats of matt white will make the tyres looks fantastic.

Regards,

Stuart

Edited by Stu_davros
  • Thanks 1

So after spraying through the stencils i dont think i'll be doing it again unless i really need to.

Trying to not get over-spray through the stencil so the wording doesn't look fuzzy or blury was hard, even trying to get the stencil to mould to contours of the edge of the tyre was possibly the hardest part sonif anyone has got any tips, i'd like to hear them.

I went as far as modding a plastic lid to make it something like this https://www.hiroboy.com/120_Tyre_Painting_Template_for_1980_Goodyear__P989--product--4371.html but even with how the tyre curves the lettering wasn't sharp.

Anyway, the wording looks a little worn so i guess that's a positive.