RCAF Canadair Sabre Mk.5's in NMF - Any 1/48 Decals ?

Rabbit Leader

All, 

For something a little different, I am contemplating building a 1/48 Academy Sabre as a Canadian Mk.5. AFAIK, the F-86F-30 and Mk.5 are quite similar apart from a few panel lines which I have not quite worked out yet. I was just wondering if there are (or have ever been) any good quality decal sheets that depict the various Mk.5 units when they wore a NMF?  My initial searches have come up with a few sheets for NMF Mk.,2's and Camo Mk.6's, however nothing so far for a Mk.5. 

Should anyone know of a source for good quality 1/48 decals and possibly suggest good references (I have SAM Vol 8 Nbr 1), I would be keen to hear what's out there.  

Cheers and thanks.. Dave.

49 minutes ago, Tony Edmundson said:

IPMS Canada also has a few Mk5 markings on their sheets prepared for members only

I don’t suppose these are readily available or can be viewed by non members, are they Tony? I would be most interested to see what these look like. 

Cheers.. Dave 

4 hours ago, David Womby said:

Hi Dave,

I think this fits the bill but good luck finding a copy.

https://www.ultracast.ca/product-p/lem48086.htm

David

Thats a lovely sheet David and there is one set available online, however it’s priced at a Kings ransom which is best left for someone with deeper pockets. 

Cheers and thanks.. Dave

3 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Thats a lovely sheet David and there is one set available online, however it’s priced at a Kings ransom which is best left for someone with deeper pockets. 

Cheers and thanks.. Dave

Yikes.  I found it now too and I see what you mean.  That's crazy.

David

First off, do you want an RAF fin flash or Red Ensign? Without doing a lot of digging and research through my reference material-which I don't have time for-why couldn't one use Leading Edge's F-86 Sabre RCAF Europe decal set for codes and national markings. It is still available. It has markings necessary for the AB+3 era, but you'd be hunting for squadron specific markings. The natural metal Mk.5's had the aft fuselage ROYAL CANADIAN AIR FORCE in black on a white rectangle which was outlined in black. This rectangle could be painted. With respect to the AB+3 era, I don't think the markings changed when the Sabre V's were camouflaged. Thoughts anyone?

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply @TBC, and actually I'm also thinking along the same lines of purchasing the Leading Edge camo sheet for the national insignia, code letters / numbers and stencils alone. As you've mentioned, its more the Squadron markings that's the main issue here and from what I can see, things are quite different. RCAF camo and markings are not exactly my strong suit, so any information that's posted here is always appreciated.  

Cheers.. Dave 

17 minutes ago, TBC said:

Do you have a proclivity for a particular squadron, Dave?

I normally do, however not at this stage. I would probably prefer one of the European based squadrons if anything, however I'm fairly open at this stage. A good splash of colour is always nice! 

Cheers.. Dave 

That's an interesting link @TBC and a nice effort from IMPS Canada to give these away to all it's members.

Now I've been doing a little more digging an I think I've found another alternative? 

Hasegawa had released a RCAF 1/48 Sabre boxing (09705) which included two sets of decals, One camouflaged version from 416 Sqn with "Carte Blanche' decals and the other a 413 Sqn NMF aircraft with yellow / black nose and tail stripes. Hopefully someone may have these latter decals as spares as I'm starting to warm to this scheme. I'll post a thread in the 'Wants' section to see how I go and will probably still buy the Leading edge camo sheet for all the other good bits that this decal sheet has.     

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks for the reply @Scooby, that’s awesome. I’d just need the Sabre decals to be honest, can’t see myself building any of the others in 1/48 scale. Let me know how you go and we can sort funds out offline. 

Cheers.. Dave