Catalina PBY-5 / PB2B-1 rear windows

Magua87

Hi, BMers. 

Having recently finished an Academy PBY-2, I would like to move onto the PBY-5 in my collection. This will be a post-war RNZAF Catalina of 5 Squadron. The aircraft I have in mind were the Canadian built PB2B-1. 

All of the reference photos I have show an additional window on each side of the rear fuselage behind the blisters. 

Here's a photo.

http://www.adf-gallery.com.au/gallery/Catalina-NZ4046/RNZAF_Consolidated_Catalina_5Sqn_KN_A_NZ4046_PB2B_1_ashore_Mechanics_Bay_NZ_ca_50_02

and the full set of images. 

http://www.adf-serials.com.au/nz-serials/nzcatalina.htm 

Does anyone have any information or plans regarding this window addition? E.g. location and size. I haven't yet found anything relevant online and would like to add this to my RNZAF example. 

Edited by Magua87

20 minutes ago, Magua87 said:

Does anyone have any information or plans regarding this window addition? E.g. location and size. I haven't yet found anything relevant online and would like to add this to my RNZAF example. 

If no one on BM can assist (none of my Catalina refs have any info), I would suggest

the Seawings site, Bryan Ribbans the owner is a member here, as am I, and Chris (Dogsbody).

David Legg is quite the knowledgeable Catalina Person, who maybe able to help answer your query

Seawings Catalina Archives

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2019 at 12:47 PM, LDSModeller said:

Seawings Catalina Archives

Regards

Alan

Cheers, Alan. I'll look into it. 

I've got another question you might be able to help with (or perhaps the other forum can); do you know if the post-war 5 Squadron Catalinas flew with machine gun armament? This image of the recovery of NZ4051 seems to show the front turret blanked off. I don't see any armament on photos of 5 Squadron Catalinas on the ADF serials site either. 

I'm also curious if there were any changes to the fuselage blisters post-war? I know the Academy Catalina is pretty basic here, but wouldn't want to waste my time scratch building something that may have been modified further. 

e565314757657ce7d05d54b747cbdb7a.jpg

1 hour ago, Magua87 said:

I've got another question you might be able to help with (or perhaps the other forum can); do you know if the post-war 5 Squadron Catalinas flew with machine gun armament? This image of the recovery of NZ4051 seems to show the front turret blanked off. I don't see any armament on photos of 5 Squadron Catalinas on the ADF serials site either. 

I'm also curious if there were any changes to the fuselage blisters post-war? I know the Academy Catalina is pretty basic here, but wouldn't want to waste my time scratch building something that may have been modified further. 

A quick check of my books show that Yes,  RNZAF 5 Squadron Catalina's were capable of

turret/blister armament

This Photo Link of RNZAF Catalina NZ4055 shows the "Eyeball" blister with armament

- No that is not a mark on the photo, as the same photo is in "The Golden Age of New Zealand Flying Boats"

and you can clearly see the machine gun barrels

NZ4055

Also in "The Golden Age of New Zealand Flying Boats", there is a superb photo of NZ4046

of 5 Squadron at Kai Tak, Hong Kong, February1950, with the "Eyeball blister" sporting two 0.5 cal guns.

To your question of the Blisters being armed, the answer is yes.

Again in "The Golden Age of New Zealand Flying Boats", there is a nice photo of a 5 Squadron

Catalina in 1952. with .5 Cal MG mounted on its pintle with armour plate, in stowed position.

Doesn't say which airframe it was though

Hope that helps you?

Regards

Alan