Auschwitz photo Mossie

Hamsterman

15 hours ago, Stefaan said:

Sorry I cannot be more helpfull.

No worries!  You've given me something else to look in to. 

On 4/4/2019 at 2:09 PM, Stefaan said:

They all said that 60 Sqdn got the Barber stripes early 1944, the reasons were discussed.

I found this the other day. 

https://www.docdroid.net/FyMAT3R/mosquito-flypast-2017-03.pdf

On page 41 of the article, there is reference to 60 SQN receiving the red/white stripes in June, 1944, which could be "early".  I'm not sure where the author got his information so I'm not arguing against it being prior to June.  Interesting, though, the article shows a picture of MM390 which crashed in July 1944 and there are no visible stripes on the tail.

I'm going to go through the 60 Squadron documents I've collected over the next few weeks and see if I can find any way to distinguish between Flight "A" and Flight "B".  I've found reference to those two flights.  We'll see.  Perhaps if I can link the serial number from a Mossie with yellow spinners and the serial number from a Mossie with red spinners to some of the reports I've been looking at, I can find a pattern.  Fingers crossed.

Thanks.

On 4/4/2019 at 2:09 PM, Stefaan said:

I have interviewed Charles Barry, N Rodseth, Mcknight etc.

Yep, I'm jealous!

On 4/2/2019 at 2:18 PM, Dave Swindell said:

There is some conflicting info out there about the red/white striped tails, a quick flick through a couple of my mosquito references indicates these are from 680 sqn RAF, not 60 sqn SAAF. Photo's show the red/white striped tail with full invasion stripes, so these would be appropriate for straight after D-Day. Photo's atrributed to 60 sqn SAAF show full D-Day stripes but no red/white tail stripes.

To be absolutelty sure you need dates and squadron attribution for the photographs, none of which for the photographs in Martin Bowmans Osprey Mosquito PR units i'm convinced by.

I'd like to model a PRXVI of 680 sqn with the red & white striped tail, but haven't found conclusive evidence of whether these were 680 sqn, 60sqn SAAF, or were possibly pooled aircraft used by both squadrons in Italy.

Hi Dave,

Silly question about 680 Squadron Mossies but have you ever come across a photo of NS534, fuselage code "R"?  The profiles I've seen of this plane show red tail stripes with no white background.  That's an interesting variation but I've never seen a photo suggesting it existed.

Cheers!

Chris

The "usual" colours used by RAF aircraft to denote flights was red for A Flight, blue for B Flight, and yellow for any C Flight.  However, I would not claim that this was universal at any period.   If there are photos of these units with PRU Blue spinners then this may indicate the presence of three flights using this system.

At this stage of the war, I would certainly expect any SAAF aircraft to be carrying orange centres for their roundels.  Certainly there would be peer pressure applied, let alone any orders from on high.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 1