Spitfire Mk. IXc, Eduard 1/72

Spitfire Mk.IXc | 1/72 | Eduard

United States -- Major Garth Jared

RfDbKPp.jpg

I finished this on March 29, 2019. I started it in the middle of my Eduard MiG-15 build, when I was having trouble getting the MiG's fuselage to seal up. I had just purchased a Spitfire Mk. IXe for my planned Rolf Berg build and I wondered if all Eduard kits were as difficult as the MiG. This kit was surplus when I discovered that Rolf Berg flew and "e" wing and not a "c", so I figured I'd give it a try and if it was impossible, I'd exchange the brand new "e" kit.  Well, it turned out this went together like a dream and I had it mostly finished within 2 or 3 days. I used the decals that were extra on the sheet that @Procopius kindly provided for my Rolf Berg build. 

And as for the MiG? Well, the rest of that build was nice and straightforward.  I had just been a little sloppy in gluing the cockpit together (not realizing how tight the fit was), and when I took it apart and re-assembled it. everything went together very nicely.

From the instructions: "Major Garth Jared served as the CO of 309th Fighter Squadron from November 9, 1943 till his death on April 18, 1944. He lost his life at the controls of a P-51B Mustang near Trieste, Italy. Jared flew this Spitfire as a personal mount in late 1943 and early 1944. The desert camouflage consists of Midstone and Dark Earth on uppersides and Azure Blue on the undersides. British roundels on the wings were overpainted with a fresh camouflage color. Jared, being the squadron leader, had the right to use his initials as the aircraft code. Two swastikas under the canopy symbolize Jared ́s two confirmed kills (Me 109) achieved on December 7, 1943. The third confirmed kill was an Fw 190 downed on February 16, 1944. Note the unit badge on the nose."

Finishing: Seams filled with CA (superglue)

Paints:  Mr. Surfacer 1500 black primer  > Mr. Color C21 Middlestone/Mr. Color C22 Dark Earth > Hataka C028 Azure blue with a misting of Mr. Color Light blue to tone the purple hue down.

Decals: Eduard Spitfire Mk.IX Royal Class decals (With a "G" from Print Scale Decals 1/72 Supermarine Spitfire American Aces of WWII )

Weathering/Wear: Panel line wash with diluted burnt umber watercolors on top and gray on bottom > Tamiya weathering pastels (black) > oil staining and dirt streaks with Black and Burnt Umber  watercolor Paints > Chips with Testors Chrome enamel applied with a spotter brush

Lim691p.jpg

QvDqxeL.jpg

WdZeE8T.jpg

1ljwhkK.jpg

iluJWHH.jpg

Build Notes

• The Eduard kit is outstanding -- the detail, the engineering and the fit.
  • I guffed up the "G" in the letter codes. The Eduard decals are very responsive to the decal solvent.  They suddenly go very soft and they are stuck for good.  Well, my brush bumped the "G" and a split second later I could see it settle in to the crevices.  There was nothing I could do, I just had to scrape it of and try to find a replacement.  2 decal sets later, I found one that was close -- but you'll notice the "G" on the starboard side is a little thicker than the rest, and a little bit more gray.  :(
  • Since I didn't have the royal class kit, I didn't have the wheel covers that were on Garth's aircraft; presumably to minimize dust contamination.
  • I've since seen a compelling argument that garth's aircraft was actually green and gray. Oh well....

Thanks for looking, I hope you enjoy.  Constructive criticism, comments and questions welcome!

• Like 35

20 hours ago, Roman Schilhart said:

Good to see you've found a replacement for your lost "G" (I wouldn't have noticed the substitute is in different thickness/color tone, to be honest).

Nice build and weathering.

Yeah, the difference is very small.  Only I know 😀.

It took a couple of tries to get the right color.  The first set I ordered were gray letter codes. I had received the white "G" in the mail and had put it on the airplane the day before you mentioned you had one. Thanks though!