The P-12 – Boeing's eternal biplane fighter, Act 1

With the P-26 Peashooter finished here I decided to develop the subject of golden age fighters a little further before returning to more conventional models. After all, my last biplane build had been 20 years ago.

I selected a Classic Airframes P-12E from the stash and chose a nice unpretentious aircraft serving with the 35th Pursuit Squadron, 8th Pursuit Group at Langley Field during 1935.

33614753008_2055bc4af8_b.jpg

However, taking a closer look, it appeared not to be an 'E' version, and after investigating for a couple of hours I concluded that it was a YP-12K, probably serial no. 32-46 or 32-50. The 'K' was a development of the P-12E, of which seven were converted and service-tested, driven by a P&W SR-1340-17 with G2 fuel injection. As such it possessed several special features which obviously are not included in the kit. Luckily a sufficient number of pictures could be found that showed the differences.

There is an air scoop between # 2 and 3 cylinders with a duct along the starboard front, an external oil cooler on the port side, exhaust manifolds, no carburettor feeder box under the nose (exposing the fuel pump), and - on this particular plane - bomb racks under the wings and a square opening cut into the starboard side panel to make room for a tank (additional oil or experimental water injection?).

47979800793_d38da08f47_b.jpg

But these were not the only complications. The Classic Airframes product has a number of shortcomings like inaccurate strut dimensions, lacking relevant parts and very soft plastic. On the upside, it offers good surface representation (rib rendering and panel lines) and a set of resin parts (tail wheel/skid, cockpit, engine), which is a bit bizarre in view of other missing details.

I bought the only available aftermarket items - a Vector R-1340 (better fit) and the very recommendable CMK upgrade set (instrument panel, control surfaces and wheels, with the larger F4B hubs to be removed!). All other modifications were scratch-built, which was fun. Less fun, though, was straightening and fixing the warped upper wing on the weak struts. Thanks to the rigging the whole assembly became very robust at last.

33614752898_164bd11304_b.jpg

33614752818_6428d5d6c2_b.jpg

33614752728_4308dd4bcc_b.jpg

33614752648_6b7b738220_b.jpg

46768026014_d2740ec438_b.jpg

The project has now come to a satisfactory end. I'm happy that I persevered and hope it was worth the effort.

Michael

References

The Boeing P-12E, Profile Publications No.2, Peter M. Bowers, Leatherhead

Boeing P-12, F4B,  Aero Series No.5, Edward T. Maloney, Fallbrook, 1966

P-12 / F4B in Action, Aircraft  Number 141, Larry Davis, Squadron Signal Publications, Carrollton, 1993

The Official Monogram US Army Air Service & Air Corps Aircraft Color Guide Vol.1, Robert D. Archer, Sturbridge, 1995

Wings of Stars - US Army Air Corps 1919-1941, On Target Special No.6, Peter Freeman and Mike Starner, Arlington, 2009

https://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/p-12/p-12_all.shtml

http://axis-and-allies-paintworks.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?12967

Act 2: The F4B - now parked here.

48007099368_f8b984f955_b.jpg

• Like 61
  • Thanks 1

On 30/03/2019 at 14:10, Hobo said:

Looks great! Love "between the wars" aircraft.

On 30/03/2019 at 08:08, Vinnie said:

You've made a superb job of that! Very well researched as well.

Thank you for your kind comments. Yes, researching my subjects is an obsession, the more difficult the more exciting. I just wonder how many more models I would have built without investing the extra time... 🤔

The dreaded „German Accuracy“? 😉

In this case it has lead to an excellent model! I don‘t really know what to praise more, the plane or the presentation. I see a lot of artistic subtlety in both.👏

You truly honored these cool machines with your build - after all they were cutting edge for their time.

Edited by Stromness
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Michael !

Great Boeing, you did great !!

A wonder out of a not so easy kit !!

I have that same one in my stash !

I bought it to transform it into an F4B-4, but then I found an F4B-4... :wicked:

Congrats !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

• 3 years later...
17 hours ago, Corvi said:

good preview of what I have in store for my build

Thanks for your comment and for retrieving my model from the graveyard of Britmodeller posts 😀.

In my original post I had included a survey of changes I added to the Classic Airframes kit, which I'd like to share here if it helps.

46576104455_75218409a0_b.jpg

• Like 3

What a wonderful presentation of a modified yellow wings biplane.  The conversions you did seem planned and fit with the kit and painting yellow wings is always a fun experience in itself.  Well done.  Thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1

HI, 

I am discovering your presentation late, just now...

I have to say I really like it. Very nice effort.

Really enjoy 2 initial photographs and I had to guess what it was. Colored and B/W versions of the same photograph and therefore actual aircraft twice ?? model twice ??

Until I found out some background details differ.

Skilfull modeling and shooting.

Best

Eric B. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 29/03/2019 at 14:55, Toryu said:

With the P-26 Peashooter finished here I decided to develop the subject of golden age fighters a little further before returning to more conventional models. After all, my last biplane build had been 20 years ago.

I selected a Classic Airframes P-12E from the stash and chose a nice unpretentious aircraft serving with the 35th Pursuit Squadron, 8th Pursuit Group at Langley Field during 1935.

33614753008_2055bc4af8_b.jpg

However, taking a closer look, it appeared not to be an 'E' version, and after investigating for a couple of hours I concluded that it was a YP-12K, probably serial no. 32-46 or 32-50. The 'K' was a development of the P-12E, of which seven were converted and service-tested, driven by a P&W SR-1340-17 with G2 fuel injection. As such it possessed several special features which obviously are not included in the kit. Luckily a sufficient number of pictures could be found that showed the differences.

There is an air scoop between # 2 and 3 cylinders with a duct along the starboard front, an external oil cooler on the port side, exhaust manifolds, no carburettor feeder box under the nose (exposing the fuel pump), and - on this particular plane - bomb racks under the wings and a square opening cut into the starboard side panel to make room for a tank (additional oil or experimental water injection?).

47979800793_d38da08f47_b.jpg

But these were not the only complications. The Classic Airframes product has a number of shortcomings like inaccurate strut dimensions, lacking relevant parts and very soft plastic. On the upside, it offers good surface representation (rib rendering and panel lines) and a set of resin parts (tail wheel/skid, cockpit, engine), which is a bit bizarre in view of other missing details.

I bought the only available aftermarket items - a Vector R-1340 (better fit) and the very recommendable CMK upgrade set (instrument panel, control surfaces and wheels, with the larger F4B hubs to be removed!). All other modifications were scratch-built, which was fun. Less fun, though, was straightening and fixing the warped upper wing on the weak struts. Thanks to the rigging the whole assembly became very robust at last.

33614752898_164bd11304_b.jpg

33614752818_6428d5d6c2_b.jpg

33614752728_4308dd4bcc_b.jpg

33614752648_6b7b738220_b.jpg

46768026014_d2740ec438_b.jpg

The project has now come to a satisfactory end. I'm happy that I persevered and hope it was worth the effort.

Michael

References

The Boeing P-12E, Profile Publications No.2, Peter M. Bowers, Leatherhead

Boeing P-12, F4B,  Aero Series No.5, Edward T. Maloney, Fallbrook, 1966

P-12 / F4B in Action, Aircraft  Number 141, Larry Davis, Squadron Signal Publications, Carrollton, 1993

The Official Monogram US Army Air Service & Air Corps Aircraft Color Guide Vol.1, Robert D. Archer, Sturbridge, 1995

Wings of Stars - US Army Air Corps 1919-1941, On Target Special No.6, Peter Freeman and Mike Starner, Arlington, 2009

https://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/p-12/p-12_all.shtml

http://axis-and-allies-paintworks.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?12967

Act 2: The F4B - now parked here.

48007099368_f8b984f955_b.jpg

what a paramount  wonderful fine  work, search, efforts.

Also excellent article with precise pictures and library references .

I do believe you have made a perfect modelling article here teaching, explaining, showing about an subject. 

Congratulations

SouthViper from Brazil  

• Thanks 1

• Toryu changed the title to The P-12 – Boeing's eternal biplane fighter, Act 1