Water based acrylic users beware

Rogue.

I recently purchased some Ammo Mig ball bearing stirrers from amazon to add to my Vallejo Air dropper bottles.

After a purchase of some acrylic colours from an online model retailer I received a free pack of unbranded ball bearing stirrers with my order, but being a bit sceptical of anything free I decided to test them first before adding to any expensive paint. The results speak for themselves, this is after 2 weeks in distilled water:

IMG-4930.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Good job you're a gift horse mouth checker . Thanks for the warning .

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2019 at 7:24 AM, bmwh548 said:

That's why I always mention stainless steel when I suggest adding ball bearings or nuts in paint bottles.

Unfortunately this doesn't guarantee that the shakers ARE stainless steel. I bought some stainless steel a while ago on ebay and they completely dissolved within a month in the paint!

Unfortunately also name brands have the rusting issue.

Steel-shaker-2.jpg

Here is an AK interactive shaker after 24 hours in water :hmmm: Well, it actually doesn't say Stainless on the container.

The only shakers I found which don't rust are the the one from MIG (MIG-8003). So it is a good idea to immerse any new shakers in some water for a couple of days before using them in acrylic paint.

Cheers, Peter

Somewhere I read the suggestion of using small glass or ceramic beads....  

a search on ebay turned up these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8mm-Glass-Decorative-Marbles-Home-Garden-Wedding-Craft-Aquarium-Transparent/192780354186

and frankly I can't be bothered to get up and check if an 8mm bead will fit into a Vallejo bottle right now....   but thought worth mentioning.

2 hours ago, Basilisk said:

Here is an AK interactive shaker after 24 hours in water :hmmm: Well, it actually doesn't say Stainless on the container.

The ones in your picture are regular steel, AK also sells stainless steel ball bearings.

It strikes me that baking beans might be suitable: little ceramic beads you use for, eg, flattening the base of a flan.  Not cheap, exactly, but they might work out cheaper than aquarium supplies or stuff for decorating flowerpots.

I buy bearings from ebay.  If you go for grade 316 or 316L then they won’t rust - it is marine grade, resistent to salt water and also used in the nuclear industry.

No sign of rust after years.

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited by nheather
  • Thanks 2

Hmm,  having looked up stainless steel bearings,  they were coming in at 30-40p each (I looked quickly) makes me wonder if you would just be better off getting  a nail varnish shaker? 

eg 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Elite99-Nail-Lacquer-Varnish-Gel-Polish-Bottle-Shaker-Machine-Battery-AC-Adapter/263892973492

Just as an example.  Not used one,  though for those with a Heath Robinson inclination,  someone (here I think) suggested using a  holder attached  onto a pendulum jigsaw blade. (I'm thinking gaffa tape and a suitable pipe offcut) 

I'd have tried it but mines in storage.....

11 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Hmm,  having looked up stainless steel bearings,  they were coming in at 30-40p each (I looked quickly) makes me wonder if you would just be better off getting  a nail varnish shaker? 

eg 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Elite99-Nail-Lacquer-Varnish-Gel-Polish-Bottle-Shaker-Machine-Battery-AC-Adapter/263892973492

Just as an example.  Not used one,  though for those with a Heath Robinson inclination,  someone (here I think) suggested using a  holder attached  onto a pendulum jigsaw blade. (I'm thinking gaffa tape and a suitable pipe offcut) 

I'd have tried it but mines in storage.....

Depends on the paint I guess.  I mostly use Vallejo and I find it really clumps at the bottom.  I have a nail varnish shaker but even that works better if there is a bearing in the bottle.

If you are prepared to order from China on eBay you can get 100x 7mm 316 grade bearings for £6. So 6p each.

The last I bought from the UK worked out at about 12p each.

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited by nheather
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, nheather said:

If you are prepared to order from China on eBay you can get 100x 7mm 316 grade bearings for £6. So 6p each.

Cheers Nigel

links are always handy for this kind of thing,  ;)

and, yes,  I'd order from China direct, just means a wait.    

I can see the point, have been shaking Vallejo bottles like mad.

One other tip, leave them on a radiator for a while,  as that makes them easier to mix.  

13 hours ago, nheather said:

These are the Mig stainless ball bearings I have been buying from Amazon.

Over 100 bearings per pack on average.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Cheers Nigel

links are always handy for this kind of thing,  ;)

and, yes,  I'd order from China direct, just means a wait.    

I can see the point, have been shaking Vallejo bottles like mad.

One other tip, leave them on a radiator for a while,  as that makes them easier to mix.  

Just tried to message a link to you but got an error saying that you can't receive messages.

Not sure whether I'm allowed to post eBay links on this forum - do you know?

Cheers,

Nigel

1 hour ago, Rogue. said:

These are the Mig stainless ball bearings I have been buying from Amazon.

Over 100 bearings per pack on average.

They are good value and I will probably buy some.  My only concern from experience is that they may be too small/light for Vallejo Model Colol and Game Color.  I currently use 1/4" (6.35mm) and sometimes it takes a lot of effort getting them moving in the sludge.

Cheers,

Nigel

Just now, nheather said:

They are good value and I will probably buy some.  My only concern from experience is that they may be too small/light for Vallejo Model Colol and Game Color.  I currently use 1/4" (6.35mm) and sometimes it takes a lot of effort getting them moving in the sludge.

I am using them with Vallejo Model Air and they are fine for me, although I do have forearms like Popeye 😁

2 minutes ago, Rogue. said:

I am using them with Vallejo Model Air and they are fine for me, although I do have forearms like Popeye 😁

Yes Model Air would be fine (surprised it needs anything at all) much thinner than Game Color or Model Color.

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited by nheather

1 hour ago, nheather said:

Not sure whether I'm allowed to post eBay links on this forum - do you know?

Not to your own ebay sales, but I post links to items that are of relevance to a subject being discussed, in the same way i for for book on amazon,  in that case as it tends to have the relevant information on publisher, ISBN etc which allow you to search it up.

1 hour ago, nheather said:

My only concern from experience is that they may be too small/light for Vallejo Model Colol and Game Color.  I currently use 1/4" (6.35mm) and sometimes it takes a lot of effort getting them moving in the sludge.

I ordered some as well, perhaps use 2 at a time?   I'll find out,  plus I'll retrieve my jigsaw

17 hours ago, sinnerboy said:

does the radiator need to be on? :)

well,  you can try a home science experiment for the difference ;) 

I have been wondering what a few  secs in a microwave  would do?   

been meaning to try it on a Humbrol starter pot....probably Green 30 as there not much other use for it :lol:

14 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

I have been wondering what a few  secs in a microwave  would do?   

I recommend leaving the top off, unless you want a multi colour interior MW 😉

• Thanks 1

These are the cheapest larger grade 316 bearings I have found

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WHOLESALE-BEARING-BALL-GRADE-BEARINGS-316-STAINLESS-STEEL-6mm-7mm-8mm-9mm-10mm/372644904768?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160811114145%26meid%3D1bd68d6753a947779a141f38d41ab869%26pid%3D100667%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D372644904768%26itm%3D372644904768&_trksid=p2045573.c100667.m2042

These are £6 for 100 off at 6mm or 7mm diameter.  The Mig ones are cheaper and you will get them faster but they are smaller too.  So fine if you are dealing with thinner paint or jars (like Tamiya) where there is more room for movement.  But if you fancy some larger, heavier balls (ooh err) to deal with the thicker sediment and narrow bottle challenges of Vallejo Model Color or Game Color then these are the cheapest that I could find.  Alternatively there are grade 316 nuts, which are cheaper still - I might give those a try as I feel the angular nature might deal with the thicker paint better.

Cheers,

Nigel

• 3 months later...
On 07/04/2019 at 14:32, Troy Smith said:

Somewhere I read the suggestion of using small glass or ceramic beads....  

Might have been me.  I got a pack of 1,000 6mm BBs in glass, mainly because they're non-reactive, and they work a treat.  Available on eBay of course.  I'd choose the 6mm BBs as they've (hopefully) been designed to be shot from an Airsoft rifle, although I'd be loathed to try that myself.  My thinking is they'd be tough and wouldn't shatter. :)

I have a battery powered cocktail stirrer which I bought about 40 years ago. It originally had a perforated paddle at the end of the stem which is now defunct so I use thick sprue, usually from 1/32 kits with either a T or L shape at the stirring  end and wrapped with masking tape at the other to ensure a tight fit. Works for me.