Another Airfix 1/48th Meteor

Hi Folks

Another Meteor,this one from 610 County of Chester  Squadron.

Once again decals from Marmaduke decals and painted with Xtracolor HSS.

610 Squadron had some very interesting colour variations, one in particular has an inverted triangle on the fin with something inside it.

If anyone has any information on what this is I would appreciate them getting in touch with me.

Cheers

Ian

lJ4qBx9.jpg
jU4u2Fu.jpg
bjcmWgw.jpg
HoAUDhj.jpg

• Like 50
  • Thanks 1

Very nice indeed Ian and that is the one that I really fancy building first myself,........ the two Hooton Park based Meteor sqns had some nice schemes between them,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot

Wow, I've never seen this squadron's markings before. Looks great and thank you for sharing. In the USA we have many Air National Guard and USAF Reserve squadrons which are manned on the weekends by citizens who have full time jobs. Is this an example of a UK reserve squadron? I apologize if this is a stupid question, but are the UK auxiliary squadrons actually reserve squadrons?

Edited by Hobo

2 hours ago, Hobo said:

but are the UK auxiliary squadrons actually reserve squadrons?

Yes they were part of the Volunteer Reserve, Most of the pilots and ground crew were "weekend warriors" but there were a cadre of professional Regulars to keep the Squadron up to a standard of readiness. The Sqn Numbers IIRC were in the 500-600 bracket. They were all disbanded in the early 50's but much later some Non flying support units were re-instituted.

John

59 minutes ago, John Aero said:

Yes they were part of the Volunteer Reserve, Most of the pilots and ground crew were "weekend warriors" but there were a cadre of professional Regulars to keep the Squadron up to a standard of readiness. The Sqn Numbers IIRC were in the 500-600 bracket. They were all disbanded in the early 50's but much later some Non flying support units were re-instituted.

John

Thank you John. I don't understand why the RAF does not still employ widespread reserve squadrons. It is extremely economical compared with active duty costs.

• 8 months later...
On 3/30/2019 at 8:04 PM, John Aero said:

John

I thought that it was the infamous Sandys Defence White Paper of 1957 that killed off the Auxilliaries.  

The fin is indeed silver,I have since corrected the model.

I contacted  the 610 Sqdn association and they very kindly sent me some photo's of various Meteor schemes used by the squadron

Unfortunately I do not have permission to show them here.

The model was posted before I had corrected it.

Ian