Looking good @bar side! By all accounts the darker bit is barely noticeable so yours looks just right I reckon. To be honest I bet once I overspray it'll look exactly the same as the rest of it!

It's quite a straightforward build so far, especially after the Canberra. I'm really impressed with this kit and how it goes together.  I might have to get a couple more of these if I can find a couple of bargains.

Anyway here is the underside in light a/c grey. The darker front is a shadow in the photo!

IMG11641554239930.jpg

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 1

Don’t know whether to mention the chest strap or not.  I see Airfix have it moulded under their 1/72 FGR2 but the Revell 1/48 doesn’t.  Not sure it was fitted to every airframe, but you can see it here in front of the lower aux intakes and between the aim 9 rails. A kind of H shaped brace.  I made up my own template and added one. But there isn’t a guarantee yours would even have had one

ee158aad63581088c92a0e9baceed878.jpg

• Like 6

Great photo! You know what I actually saved this photo yesterday to use as reference for dirt washing, I didn't even notice the chest strap! No idea which airframes had those, or when they were added.

At the moment I'm thinking of doing her as XV400 from around 1987. Hopefully she didn't have one as I don't think my skills stretch to adding one, especially now I've sprayed it. So the serial may change if that airframe had the strap.

On 3/29/2019 at 11:52 AM, f111guru said:

I'm in. Have done a few phantoms in the past. Your kit from Revell Germany has the appearance of a Hasegawa mold I've seen many times. I did purchase years ago a Revell Monogram F-4E and compared it to a Hasegawa kit and were the same. But with a big price difference. So with that said, I'll watch with interest because some 20 years ago I did an FGR1 phantom from Hasegawa.

Thanks for your post

Ron VanDerwarker

It has the look of a Hasegawa Phantom because it is a Hasegawa Phantom. This is actually the second time Revell has released a rebox of the Hasegawa kit, the first time being in 2004. Here a link to the review done here on Britmodeler:

Edited by mstorin

Everything has been a good fit up to now, with just a sliver of filler needed in the wing roots and a tiny bit around the nose cone. 

IMG11831554314627.jpg

Masked up ready for spraying the upper surfaces.

IMG11841554314626.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/2/2019 at 3:42 PM, bar side said:

Don’t know whether to mention the chest strap or not.  I see Airfix have it moulded under their 1/72 FGR2 but the Revell 1/48 doesn’t.  Not sure it was fitted to every airframe, but you can see it here in front of the lower aux intakes and between the aim 9 rails. A kind of H shaped brace.  I made up my own template and added one. But there isn’t a guarantee yours would even have had one

ee158aad63581088c92a0e9baceed878.jpg

The strap was a modification done according to the fatigue life of the individual airframe. It was known as the 100 FI butt strap.

FI stood for fatigue index and was a measurement of stress wear on the frame. During the mid to late 80's it was probably a 50/50 chance of an aircraft having the mod.

• Like 4

Not much difference between inner wing colour and the rest, overspraying DSG made no difference. Not to worry though, once I've made it look dirty you'd never notice anyway.

I'm more annoyed about the fuselage join line! I spent ages sanding it too then furiously buffed it up after, but it's made no difference. How do people hide these so well? Too late now, she's sprayed up. I'll try and hide it a bit with dirt wash.

IMG47491554366136.jpg

• Like 4

Looking good :) 

I added one to the stash when they were released a few weeks ago also to add to my 56 squadron collection, I'm halfway through a T5 lightning at present

I've also got a Hasegawa Hi grade FG1 in the stash as well to do, think that had white metal and resin parts as part of the kit, but can't remember, it was the raspberry ripple one 🤔

Will follow along with vested interest if you don't mind :)

Ian

• Like 1

Does anybody think BS626 is too dark? It just doesn't look right to me, especially where you can see the contrast with the light aircraft grey underside. Any other options?

IMG1216-761554381581.jpg

IMG1217-761554381580.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Redstaff said:

Looking good :) 

I added one to the stash when they were released a few weeks ago also to add to my 56 squadron collection, I'm halfway through a T5 lightning at present

I've also got a Hasegawa Hi grade FG1 in the stash as well to do, think that had white metal and resin parts as part of the kit, but can't remember, it was the raspberry ripple one 🤔

Will follow along with vested interest if you don't mind :)

Ian

Thanks Ian. I'm struggling with the colour a bit but she fits together pretty well so far, it's a nice kit. I have plans for a few other 56 sqn jets too, got a 1/48 Hunter and Lightning earmarked for the famous Firebird markings so far. 

I've seen that FG1 on ebay, going for way above what I'm prepared to spend on a kit though! I think it does have some metal parts, and possibly rubber tyres?

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Does anybody think BS626 is too dark? It just doesn't look right to me, especially where you can see the contrast with the light aircraft grey underside. Any other options?

Looking at your photos on my monitor it looks like the upper grey is fine but, the underside LAG looks almost white. Either way the contrast looks rather stark. Having said that, this photo makes yours look pretty accurate. Colours - a damned PITA!

Maybe it just needs some weathering to blend things in a bit.

• Like 1

I think the LAG does look very pale in that photo, but hopefully just because it was near the window. I think there'll be plenty of weathering eventually!

IMG11641554396280.jpg

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

I have plans for a few other 56 sqn jets too, got a 1/48 Hunter and Lightning earmarked for the famous Firebird markings so far. 

I've done a Hunter F6 and a Meteor F8 up to yet, T5 lightning on the go and other lightnings planned and Tonka F3 all in 48th :) 

There does seem to be a lot of contrast between the greys, but that maybe just the light 🤔

• Like 1

Popping right along there Lord Riot. I'm not much of a fan of gray schemes though that does not stop me from building aircraft in gray tones. I'm more of a SEA and SEA wrap around, Euro1 green scheme type person. Your build is looking great. Did a similar build some 25 to 30 years or so ago. Still have the kit.

IMG_0010

Keep up the fine work.

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, f111guru said:

Popping right along there Lord Riot. I'm not much of a fan of gray schemes though that does not stop me from building aircraft in gray tones. I'm more of a SEA and SEA wrap around, Euro1 green scheme type person.

Do have a liking for the grey ones & looking forward to seeing yours done Lord Riot, but know what you mean f111guru - my UK Phantoms include a Lakenheath D in SEA camo and an Alconbury RF-4C in wraparound SEA.  Do fancy a Spangdahlem Euro 1 Weasel one day.

• Like 1

I agree gents, I prefer green/grey too, but in keeping with all my 1/48 RAF stuff being circa 1985-90 the Phantom has to be grey. I do have another in the stash though, which I intend to do in the old camo colours! 

• Like 1

I decided to repaint the radome, I wasn't happy with the visible brush lines or the colour. I think this looks a bit more realistic.

IMG47791554672596.jpg

Jet pipes inserted and all the various metalwork painted.

IMG47801554672594.jpg

• Like 2

Progress on the Phantom. It almost seems a shame to cover it with dirt wash at some point, but they do look pretty filthy in most of the photos!

IMG47811554743397.jpg

IMG47821554743396.jpg

• Like 6

@29Triplex Thanks!

Yes certainly, they're custom filled aerosols, for light aircraft grey from Monster  and BS626 satin 'camouflage grey' from RAL Aerosols for the upper surfaces.

I did actually pre-spray DSG on the inner wings before applying the main colour but it didn't make them a shade darker at all. I can hardly ever tell in photos anyway , especially on a dirty Phantom, so it's ok.

For the radome I mixed Humbrol satin 166 with a smidgen of tan.

IMG48581555427679.jpg

IMG48591555427678.jpg

• Like 3