Hot on the tail of the Canberra is another classic 80s RAF type, the mighty Phantom! Harking back to halcyon days peering over the fence at Wattisham in summers gone by, I'll (probably) be making this as a standard, grey 56 sqn jet (no red tail or shark mouth) from around 1987.

It was great of Revell to release this as I'd been after a 1/48 RAF Phantom for ages but ebay prices for Hasegawa/Fujimi were frankly ridiculous. This one was very reasonable at around £23 (I pre-ordered!) so can't complain. Except for the fact that very disappointingly, for some reason Revell's decal sheet doesn't include any instrument decals! 

A good opportunity to tidy up the workbench before starting too. Here's the obligatory box shot (nice artwork), sprues, decals, etc.

IMG46841553876106.jpg

IMG46851553876105.jpg

And this is the Phantom I'm currently considering creating her as, possibly without the underwing fuel tanks, not decided yet. Does anyone on here know much about 56's Phantoms, what the standard fit was, etc?

IMG44861553876893.jpg

Photo obviously isn't mine, it's by Lieuwe Hoestra for Airfighters.com, and what a roaringly splendid one it is! Mods if it breaks copyright please delete it.

Interestingly, the box says 'level 5' and the plans 'level 4'! Maybe 4.5 then, although I'm sure I'll manage! 

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 8

I'm in. Have done a few phantoms in the past. Your kit from Revell Germany has the appearance of a Hasegawa mold I've seen many times. I did purchase years ago a Revell Monogram F-4E and compared it to a Hasegawa kit and were the same. But with a big price difference. So with that said, I'll watch with interest because some 20 years ago I did an FGR1 phantom from Hasegawa.

Thanks for your post

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 2

Wow, you don't hang about!

Role fit wise, depends on how you want to depict the aircraft. Day to day flying in the UK would be as in the photo, Sgt Fletcher wing tanks fitted, clean centreline, 2 ballast Sparrows in the front missile positions and 1 aquisition Sidewinder on one of the outer Lau 7a launchers.

Fully loaded for QRA would have a centreline fuel tank too.

If you don't want to fit the wing tanks, how about the fit for annual gunnery APC in Cyprus. SUU 23a gun pod on the centreline, usual ballast Sparrows, inboard pylons with Lau's (no aqui winder) and no wing tanks.

By the way. The inboard pylons need the wedge shape removing from the bottom. That represents an inboard MWA (multiple weapons adapter) bolted on for ground attack weapons. That was not fitted for air defence, so the pylon should have a flat bottom.

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Phixer, the APC fit could be interesting, I'll see how it goes! Thanj you for the heads up on the inboard pylons, I'll remove the mud moving bit!

Started on the bang seats and instrument panels. Still can't believe there are no cockpit decals!

IMG47031554025490.jpg

IMG47021554025491.jpg

I'm not too impressed with the burner cans either; they don't look quite right to me for an RAF Phantom. I sanded the ribbed end smoother and scored a couple of lines deeper around the circumference. Maybe they'll be better when painted.

IMG1065-821554025488.jpg

• Like 4

The cockpit parts all fit together nicely, and it tucks into the nose snugly too, with no gaps around the nosewheel bay underneath. 

Fuselage goes together well too, no nasty gaps visible or any signs of bending or anything. Hopefully I'll be able to sand away the join line along the spine once it's dry.

IMG1083-871554049412.jpg

IMG10841554049412.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, PLC1966 said:

Blimey Phixer, you didn't mention the horror show at 2.44 !!!

I know!! Some very sad moments in there, showing the demise of the airframes.

Lord Riot, the seat structures need to be black all over. The upper part was not light grey. A bit of drybrushing with silver to represent worn away paint would look good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Liam Harrison, yes I keep one side sticky and just add a tiny smidgen of glue if the an end curls up a bit. The Tamiya tape is pretty good and usually stays sticky enough through the process. Saves me a lot of money on aftermarket seatbelts!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

Lord Riot, the seat structures need to be black all over. The upper part was not light grey. A bit of drybrushing with silver to represent worn away paint would look good.

Thanks, hopefully these look better I think. Anyone know if cockpit decals are available anywhere? 

IMG11091554105982.jpg

• Like 3

The wings are a decent enough fit to the fuselage, shouldn't need too much filler at all. One does need to squeeze the front parts together near the intakes though.

IMG11171554117528.jpg

• Like 5

Nice work Lord Riot.

When you start your next instrument panel try using watercolour pencils. First paint the base colour (normal paint) and then pick out the details (buttons, frames etc) with a sharp pencil.

I like using cheap Staedtler Noris Club student pencils. For this type of work they are better than the pro pencils.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I tend to do light grey or white on the panels, then black poster paint over it.  You can almost rub the dials & switches back to white with your finger.  Then pick them out a bit with white / grey pencils or even coloured artists pastels.

• Like 1

Unexpected item in the bagging area! I'm going to try to ever so slightly darken the inner wings. I'll spray them DSG then later do the whole upper surface Barley grey (BS626).

IMG47331554213280.jpg

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 1