PANTHER G + Adhoc 37mm FLAK

27 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Two things about this model Simon. You certainly know how to make the thing look dirty and worked hard, and you also know how to replicate wood. Both aspects look good. Nice job. 

John.

Cheers both for that....... I'm picturing this one within the Halbe Pocket, being a late war Panther G. From the pictures I've seen they were very worn and dirty......... I've done the opposite for the Kursk Panther on another build blog......as it was a first issue Panther D.......

.........On the wood John is actual wood....American Basswood from Hobby Craft, just stained and dusted with pigments.

47 minutes ago, echen said:

Weathering looks good, very natural for a well-used Panther.

Good to see this going again and making good progress. Hope you soon find the armament for it. 👍

On the armament point echen, I'm not sure now as the turret I originally intended with a primer red finish....doesn't look too bad now. Maybe I'll have a vote at the end when I place the 37mm or stay with the turret......:rolleyes:

Cheers both

Simon.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Redcoat2966 said:

..and yes Steve, 'butterfingers" it is  :sad:....that was a costly drop......£35 including the PE upgrade set.....sod it :swear:.

Anyway,...........

Sorry bud didnt mean to upset you................... Don't know if Ursula rings a bell....Panther GB ............well that was a costly one too for me but it was my friends on here making me see the funny side that aloud me to move on, was hoping to do the same for you too........... the only difference between yours and mine was at least you had something to save ..........anyway progress is looking very nice indeed the mud layers are beautiful especially the normally hard to do right upper surfaces............on point for another stunning build.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Sorry bud didnt mean to upset you................... Don't know if Ursula rings a bell....Panther GB ............well that was a costly one too for me but it was my friends on here making me see the funny side that aloud me to move on, was hoping to do the same for you too........... the only difference between yours and mine was at least you had something to save ..........anyway progress is looking very nice indeed the mud layers are beautiful especially the normally hard to do right upper surfaces............on point for another stunning build.  

Hi Steve......no upset at all mate, really.   I had to chuckle, as you were smack on point with butterfingers :sad:, I should have not try'd to do something else, same time as having it in my hands balanced on a cutting matt :swear:.....and just when I'd finished the PE (which was a nightmare in itself)..........thanks for the positive comments.........and to be honest, Ursula was a cracking project, not sure why you did junk it........you were brave from the outset to try a subject like that as you did.....following a photo takes some skill and patience.......we should have a GB with "Pic a picture" as the subject......:yes:

Cheers

Simon.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Afternoon all..........I hope the weekend is going well and you all got time at the bench.....I decided as my Flak 36 arrived to jump back onto the Panther with an ad-hoc Flak dropped in place of the turret. A nice Tamiya kit, quick to build (less than a day)......

I intend to keep the Flak somewhat cleaner than the rest of the piece, intimating that the Panther chassis has seen some active service and has been relegated to this Flak role. I'm in two minds on a three tone camo' on the Flak......will make that decision prior to the chipping, wear and tear.

mFp2nYW.jpg

Off to do some chores, maybe back at the bench later.

Cheers

Simon.

• Like 14

Well Mr Coat , i must say that is lookin rather fandabbydozy :goodjob:.............rather partial to that style of realistic dirt and muck and the overall muckyness really adds to the "lived in" look.....the gun is coming along nicely too...........dare i say another mini masterclass in how to, and not wishing to blow smoke up yer bum but ...well i have to say it your armour is the equal if not (at least in my eyes ) better than the now legendary Nightshifts .......i prefer the more subtle approach to the high contrast technique that Martin seems to be going for recently.......which might be a little cheeky on my part as my stuff is neither on par with his or yours .........merely an observation....in short love it mate

• Thanks 1

Amazing work Simon,  as has been said before, the contrast between the used hull and the newer flak, for me, really adds to the story.

Great inspirational work

Darryl 

On 3/13/2022 at 2:33 PM, M3talpig said:

Well Mr Coat , i must say that is lookin rather fandabbydozy :goodjob:.............rather partial to that style of realistic dirt and muck and the overall muckyness really adds to the "lived in" look.....the gun is coming along nicely too...........dare i say another mini masterclass in how to, and not wishing to blow smoke up yer bum but ...well i have to say it your armour is the equal if not (at least in my eyes ) better than the now legendary Nightshifts .......i prefer the more subtle approach to the high contrast technique that Martin seems to be going for recently.......which might be a little cheeky on my part as my stuff is neither on par with his or yours .........merely an observation....in short love it mate

Hi Steve, thank you for those kind words.  I do follow Nightshift a lot and he has given me many pointers on some methods of weathering, and the sequence of the build. I have tried some of his techniques, one as you mentioned the high contrast light and dark and also the oil dot method. I have to be honest, they didn't work for me. I might try the oil dot one more time on another project, and to see if it works better than it has to date.

As regards weathering, some might say it's too "worn", but I do a lot of research and I have to be honest........Axis AFV's and soft skins do look a little worse for wear.....more so than Allied as we could just get a new one......not something the Germans had the luxury of.  I recently saw a set on images of engineers retrieving some Tigers neck deep in mud. I can't imagine the Allies would have bothered if it was too far gone.....:D

Thanks again Steve, really appreciate the comparison........now I just have to work out how to monetise the efforts like Nightshift has.....:think:

Do you ever get to go to any model show's?......maybe try and meet up one day and say hi face to face.....:yes:

Cheers mate

Simon.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Do you ever get to go to any model show's?......maybe try and meet up one day and say hi face to face.....

I do plan on getting to a few this year ....just not sure which yet ...any recommendations would love to meet up at some point. 

6 hours ago, M3talpig said:

I do plan on getting to a few this year ....just not sure which yet ...any recommendations would love to meet up at some point. 

Hi Steve, I'm planned to go to the Model Show in Milton Keynes in May. I'm a member of the Warwickshire MAFVA, and we have a table there for the club.Not sure where your based, but see if you can make it. Supposed to be a good show by all accounts, never been before myself. I'm trying to tie up old projects to show on the table. Bitmodeller should have some sort of section to arrange group meets at some show's, put names to faces. I'm a member of an online cap badge collecting site, and we had badges made up so we could recognise each other at shows back in the day. Make something to think about. I think it worked out at £5 pound a badge.

Simon.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Model Show in Milton Keynes in May

i should be able to do that ...will have to check with "she who must be obeyed" as i will need a ride (sold my motorcycle a few years ago) ......good excuse to spend some cash on some new models and meet a friend...........i assume it's the Modelkraft show your talking about Simon :hmmm:

15 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

i should be able to do that ...will have to check with "she who must be obeyed" as i will need a ride (sold my motorcycle a few years ago) ......good excuse to spend some cash on some new models and meet a friend...........i assume it's the Modelkraft show your talking about Simon :hmmm:

Yeh, that's the one. Where you copming from mate, if you don't mind me asking.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Yeh, that's the one. Where you copming from mate, if you don't mind me asking.

Not far Gillingham Kent...... so should only take two hours or so to get there dependent on traffic.....will PM you when i talk to the little lady and get the ok....arrange somewhere to meet

Afternoon all........just got some time to post the final phase as regards the vehicle itself. It won't go into the RFI section until I've dug out all my 37mm box and ammo and dressed it with some additional personal gear etc.......maybe a figure or two specific for it also.

I changed the round wood decking for a rectangular to suit the actual firing platform of this particular Flak unit. I also added actual chain to the blanking plate for the MG mount in the front.....

ApDt0rw.jpg

• Like 14

What to say ............ superb is a good word ...sublime is another....... awesome.....doesn't really do it justice.

EXCELLENT........THATS THE ONE............see i got their in the end :worthy:

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Hamden said:

Superb workmanship and attention to detail as always with your builds

Stay safe           Roger

8 hours ago, M3talpig said:

What to say ............ superb is a good word ...sublime is another....... awesome.....doesn't really do it justice.

EXCELLENT........THATS THE ONE............see i got their in the end :worthy:

53 minutes ago, Geo1966 said:

Fantastic work, love it!

Can't imagine i will ever get to your standard, but i can dream.......................

George

Thanks Gent's, really appreciate that. I'm glad I ploughed on with it in the end and not give up.......finally dug out some Griffon 37mm ammo case's and shell's, so should have it finished at some point next week then into the RFI. That will be another ticked off the long list on pending projects.....I'm getting the urge to build something, so need to get as many done while I'm in the mind to do so........:D

Thanks again..:yes:

• Like 2

On 3/24/2022 at 11:59 AM, edjbartos said:

Beautiful work Simon, the construction, painting and weathering are a joy to the eye. Superb...👍

Ed

49 minutes ago, vaoinas said:

Very unusual combination and beautiful workmanship.

I especially like, how you have used dirt and dust overall. 

Cheers both for that........took some time to get it done and to get to grips with mud effects. I still have some products I haven't tried yet like MIG acrylic mud for dioramas etc. So far only dealt with pigments and wash's. I'm comfortable now in tackling this weathering. I have a few projects in the cabinet awaiting this final stage of painting and weathering...some have said that in places there's a little too much, but I did some research and when looking at farm vehicles and vehicles on building sites, it's surprising how dirty they do get and those environments don't have exploding artillery going off around them...thanks again for popping by and taking a look.

All the best

Simon.

• Like 1