PANTHER G + Adhoc 37mm FLAK

Yeah, I love it.........you know I had the same problem....I used Tamiya thinner X-20 in the end, after airbrush thinner, odourless etc, alcohol....seemed the only thing to get it off the brush.......just........I havn't looked, but there must be a specific Mr Color cleaner/thinner.

Seems Mr Hobby self levelling or the standard thinner does the job Soeren......must get some on the shopping list......may as well go for self levelling as I'll use in spray work also.

Simon.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Worked on my next step as regards the main hull camo' scheme. Late war predominant green. Going to try and get this on by the weekend.

ZYPf4iy.jpg

Hi Simon, your probably already aware, but I belive the green you need is 'Olive Grün (RAL 6003)'

Well.....you might think I'm crazy, but I fancy XF-71. I watched a chap's build log on Youtube and he used it and it looked pretty good..........well, to me anyway. Keeping in mind with the weathering, it'll be subdued by at least 20 to 40%. Might pop a drop or two of leaf green in...........not too much though...got to ignore the temptation to keep going too dark prior to weathering..........:smirk:

RwX3dMx.jpg

I actually picked up some cool tips from his build class on a Panther G.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Soeren said:

According to the Panther source RAL 6003 was the basecoat by then.

Exactly Soeren, Dunklegelb became a camouflage addition, Olive Grün was the basecoat 🙂

On 3/29/2019 at 2:00 PM, Jack Klugman said:

Very impressive, though you HAVE to change out the muzzle break/gun barrel. Its awful on such a lovely looking kit. 

I could send you a plastic tacom muzzle break but you can't use that one ! 

It's muzzle BRAKE.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, spaddad said:

It's muzzle brake, not muzzle break.

The muzzle brake is designed to act against the recoil action, as the projectile leaves the barrel the hot gases driving it out are deflected sideways and back, braking the rearwards action of the barrel and helping the recoil springs. The downside of a muzzle brake is the dust cloud that is formed by the deflected gases, it gives away your position and obscures you from seeing if you hit the target.

• Like 1

AFTERNOON ALL.....some progress. 

Finally took the plunge after some trials on my trusty old Panzer I hulk..........seems bright at present, but I feel better than looking like a "lump of coal" after the weathering etc. Managed also to get some vehicle numbers on her. Need to now do some research on chalk marking s on the turret from the factory. I'm hoping to plod on tonight, but may have to look at it tomorrow for the "possible" additional camo of some touch's of brown here and there. I'll have to sleep on that and see if I do or not.

kjvtmDE.jpg

cgTPlnI.jpg

Z0TWyny.jpg

XhTYEWo.jpg

• Like 6

nice but to me the green is bright - I guess the weathering will bring it back (I am really bad at starting with the "end colour" and then going well away from it....)

• Like 1

Hi Rob. ....I know what you mean, but as you say.....starting with the end colour, can end up way, way too dark. You'd be surprised at colours in use at the end of the war. I have some books with colour images and the RAL 6003 wasn't the only green in use.......also, at this point of the war...January to March '45....anything would do......maybe even Luftwaffe paint, you never know.

Once this has the filter for Dunkelgelb, then wash's and oil modulation with panel lining......it'll darken by at least 50%. I think sometime you can forget it's 1:35 and not 1:1. There is a need to create "theatre" at scale.......some drama, and visual stimulation.....If you look at some of Mig Jimenez's work....a Tiger I saw recently he did, looked like you'd see it at 10 miles without binoculars.........:yikes:

Each to their own I suppose.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Hi Rob. ....I know what you mean, but as you say.....starting with the end colour, can end up way, way too dark. You'd be surprised at colours in use at the end of the war. I have some books with colour images and the RAL 6003 wasn't the only green in use.......also, at this point of the war...January to March '45....anything would do......maybe even Luftwaffe paint, you never know.

Once this has the filter for Dunkelgelb, then wash's and oil modulation with panel lining......it'll darken by at least 50%. I think sometime you can forget it's 1:35 and not 1:1. There is a need to create "theatre" at scale.......some drama, and visual stimulation.....If you look at some of Mig Jimenez's work....a Tiger I saw recently he did, looked like you'd see it at 10 miles without binoculars.........:yikes:

Each to their own I suppose.

i fully agree... i think the t20 will be B&W (its russian green + dunkelgelb so should get a good finish - well as good as i get). may look at lightening both before starting

Morning all....made some use of the time over the Bank Holiday weekend. Doesn't seem like a lot of progress, but all onboard tools done. Gun mantlet masked and done. Night vision tech painted. Some filters and wash here and there. Most of the time on the main hull. Haven't really started the turret yet.

Next to do

1. Decals and markings
  2. Turret final painting and weathering
  3. Exhausts
  4. Chipping and scratch's
  5. Grime and dust streaking (light)
  6. Final filters
  7. Mud on running gear and lower hull
  8. Overall dust wash for lower hull to merge mud and upper colours
  9. Lenses for night vision, and clear vision blocks installed and lock down the top hull.

5n2WGtH.jpg

pNIv6fJ.jpg

XPkSMev.jpg

• Like 6

• Redcoat2966 changed the title to PANTHER G- "With A New Hat".......

Love the paint job on this, I certainly will be using some modulation on future builds the effect is excellent 🙂

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Yetifan said:

Love the paint job on this, I certainly will be using some modulation on future builds the effect is excellent 🙂

Cheers for that.

I've been experimenting a lot with this one...(and the four others I have on the go.....:tmi: )....I watch a lot of modellers vids on Youtube, but I'm trying to develop my own style that I'm happy with.......more work to do on that though, but getting there. I'm a designer and artist by trade. I did feel on this one "I'd lost it". That can happen and did happen (a lot) when I did illustration in the past.............saving it is the task. There's no fixed formula really, and following doggedly a Mig Jimenez Youtube vid can be daunting.......I've enjoyed trying out different methods, and developing new one's.

Have fun and I'd try some modulation tests on any 3D object with some complication to it's shape.....it's removes the stress of a £30 kit going down the toilet......:smile:

I sometimes find some of the MIG videos a bit daunting, the results come so easily and are clearly due to many hours of practice that make it look “easy” and as you say it’s a bit nerve racking to practice on an expensive model. I think your models have the balance about right and are really impressive 🙂

I feel like i’m improving and am certainly developing my own technique as well as taking inspiration from others. For me the hobby is more about spending the time doing something cognitive and more engaging than watching tv rather than an art form, but as you get drawn in the desire to improve keeps growing.

Exactly mate.........I do it for the same....the challenge.....plus I get to watch a lot of documentaries, and history lectures on Youtube while modelling.....:idea:, while creating something.

And thanks for your kind comments....appreciate that, makes it all worthwhile.....:yes:

By the way, where in the Midlands are you Yeti?

Regards

Simon.

• Like 1