PANTHER G + Adhoc 37mm FLAK

42 minutes ago, Rogue705 said:

Nice update Redcoat...I see you have attached the tools prior to base coat, do you not find this a problem when painting handles, metal heads etc. later on?

HI Rogue, thanks :yes:.......and yeah.......the issue I found with Panther tools, is that they are sort of woven in a specific layout. The crank handle for example, and it's clamp location; would be virtually impossible to fit in. Same with the three tool stack and the way they are clamped. The spare tracks have separate little pins holding them in. So putting those on after the fact would have caused damage etc. The only loose tool still is the shovel. The only thing I wished I'd left off is the jack block. In my haste to get her ready for priming...I might paint it in the Dunkel Gelb, which I have seen on some B&W archive shots as though they couldn't be bother to take it off prior to a paint job......:think:

I'd liked to have left off the IR equipment, but both of the main units turret and glacis have weld lines for the brackets.....so have to be in place...😣

Thanks for taking a look.....cheers

• Like 1

Yeah......I use to have a go with the Tamiya primers........I have one somewhere. If you need to use up what you have, the best tip I have to make them give a better finish, is pop them in hot water for 10 mins. Gives a much better thinner finish. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Yeah......I use to have a go with the Tamiya primers........I have one somewhere. If you need to use up what you have, the best tip I have to make them give a better finish, is pop them in hot water for 10 mins. Gives a much better thinner finish. 

Great tip, will do 🙂

3 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Hi Rob..cheers mate....I picked up a couple of bottle of black and grey Ultimate from Telford a couple of years ago with the thinner too. I find it not bad. I thin it, even though I see many say high pressure with a slightly larger nozzle is the "right" way. I usually thin to a 50/50 consistency, and do at many coats with a 15 minute dry time between until I get the coverage I like.

Did all the Matilda and T series research material come through OK?

Simon.

Cheers... The 2 docs I opened were fine so assume the others are. Work/home a bit busy this week so little free time

Evening all.....

Hi Soeren....tried that....problem foe me anyway, is you can't clean up the cryo when painted........spend too long repairing. With airbrushed finish's - that's near on impossible..........:nah:, best just to sharpen the brush skill's.......:smile:

.....back to the "G".............hull main Dunkel Gelb is  down. Four tone modulation. I might darken slightly the top section on from the sides a little more.....need to ponder on that. Next step, choose a camo style...........off to the archive...have a good night chaps.....:yes:

G4BhebR.jpgMlKndEk.jpg9mx5OrL.jpg

DYu74yo.jpg

• Like 4

Hey Simon, the transition go together mucheck better on this one. And you shouldn't try to change the color tone. Maybe it differs from your expectations, but it is good as it is. Which of the lots of Migs Dunkelgrün shades cos this? I bought one zoo to complete my collection of Vallejo shades.

I see though, that you already have wheels and track's mounted. How are your attempts to dirty it up?

Edited by Soeren
  • Thanks 1

Cheers Soeren......thanks mate....

I realized......on the Matilda, I was really doing moreof  a gradated tinted canvas as such, for the filters and wash's to play off. With Dunkelgelb in this case, it's the main colour of the AFV. so....going to try MIG's brown wash for Dunkelgelb. number 1000, to liven it up a little.  The Dunkelgelb set is the basic one by MIG, number 7000. Picked it up at Telford for 50% off. Thought I'd give it a shot. To date, I have mixed my own colours as I went along.....must be getting lazy in my old age....:think:

As regards the running gear....the outside line of wheels are still loose....(the actual one's that people really look at). They will be treated separately from the internal running gear, and popped on at the end. Hardest part will be the bright steel of the second line of wheels, where they rub together......:worry:....what I have realised recently, is that all the hours I use to spend painting the rubber on Axis wheels is really unnecessary.....every line of wheels to the back.....:tmi:..... I mean these things weren't put through a car wash weekly.....so in the muddying and weathering of running gear, I'm being less meticulous from now on....seems to look more natural.

Cheers....:yes:

Same is true with my wheels attempt on the Jagdpanther. Just washed on thin paint around the rim. Some pack panelling and when the dirt comes in it is dirty anyways.

For the rubbed steel on the inner wheels it is from the track guide teeth. Together with grainy dirt that is some nice Polish. 

By the way you wrote you were going for vms products. I got my order of products today and will try them on the Jahdpanther. Got EU light and brown earth with fine texture. Plain fine texture and dark rust for changing to a warm tone. Also gonna test their enml and alkyd binders. Wonder how well that will actu all work.

Yeah, the track teeth rub it from what I have in my Panther archive; really bright. I have the Mr Metal Iron.....I find it a really great product.

On the VMS.....I got the the 01 and 02 in coarse for mud effects.aaaa and as you the alkyd binder. Not got round to using it yet. I think I'm going to try it on the Sturmhaubitz....after some trials first though. Worth taking a look at their online vid on Youtube.....runs through the whole process.

OK.  So actually have the same colors.  Recently got the dark iron burnish able from Mr color. Didn't try that yet though. Have to look into that. Vms also has a nice video of their dark metal pigment in enml binder later polished. Might be worth a try too.

I just took a look and I think I got one of those dark metal also.....number 12 black (zero)........not bad for rubbing here and there to get a highlight on a metal edge etc. or maybe a MG barrel. Haven't really used it much as I switched to the Mr Color. Finding that my fave new product at the moment......:idea:

...back to the "G"

Here's where I'm leaving off for now....maybe get a few more hours in later. I've decided to do the gun mantlet in Dunkelgelb also. I'll mask it out once the primer red is finished for the turret.........and a heat resistant grey barrel in a high satin finish. Trying to have her look like a refurbed Panther, while having the IR equipment fitted in early '45.

0xYANCe.jpg

All of the detail on the hull has been highlighted. Now just really having a tough time deciding on a camo' style for the hull....maybe a separate camo' style for the chinned mantlet too as though it was a reclaim from another vehicle.

2RluI94.jpg

xMzD3TS.jpg

• Like 5

Afternoon all........a progress report. Spent time this morning on the hull primer coat, (pre-weathered).......and got the heat resistant grey barrel colour on too. Before I go on to anymore base colour painting I need to seal in what I've done, or I could have issues with masking fluids and tape.......:worry:, when I Dunkelgelb the gun mantlet and muzzle break. I might also, if masking can be done; red primer the heater unit on the rear deck......:idea:

LdRXW5J.jpg

x604IyH.jpg

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 1

On 3/29/2019 at 7:21 PM, Soeren said:

Well the barrel Is not inserted properly atm and the muzzle brake looks a bit odd. Other than that it seems OK. 

Hi Soeren.......I thought too that the barrel should have gone in more to remove the slight flange around where the barrel enters the mantlet.....but as you see, seems there is a raised flange ring in that location. So it seem's all OK......:yes:

8ehG43F.jpg

5 minutes ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Hi Soeren.......I thought too that the barrel should have gone in more to remove the slight flange around where the barrel enters the mantlet.....but as you see, seems there is a raised flange ring in that location. So it seem's all OK......:yes:

8ehG43F.jpg

Hey there Simon, yes, the flange doesnt go completely, but it isnt actually more than this flange. There is no plane showing.

Panther_Ausfehrung-A.jpg

Panther_75mm_KwK42_L70.jpg

Ausf_G_in-operations.jpg

Panther_repair_engine_inthefield.jpgfile.php?id=70824&mode=view

Edited by Soeren

Btw, I tried the burnishable Mr Color. That is some really cool stuff. With quite some safety requirements. I got the dark Iron, maybe some lighter shade would have been more usefull. It is ok for dry brushing, but other than that rather dark to go straight at it. What is the solvent, Can Mr leveling thinner mix with this?