PANTHER G + Adhoc 37mm FLAK

On 5/7/2019 at 10:16 PM, Redcoat2966 said:

Exactly mate.........I do it for the same....the challenge.....plus I get to watch a lot of documentaries, and history lectures on Youtube while modelling.....:idea:, while creating something.

And thanks for your kind comments....appreciate that, makes it all worthwhile.....:yes:

By the way, where in the Midlands are you Yeti?

Regards

Simon.

any particular channels you follow? need some of your technique to rub off on me

• Like 1

Hi Rob, how are you mate..........I have a few Youtube vids in my saved list. I'll look some up and send you the links.....no probs....well worth a look.

Been doing some weathering tonight........about halfway with the lower hull.. only one exhaust done.

a8SNR1h.jpg

1N3yfzA.jpg

C3WDNmn.jpg

7YFJNOB.jpg

• Like 11

Hi Rob

Sorry to hear of the limited time at the bench.......you'll get back to it soon......

I managed some time today, as I finished early my chores and nearly got the main hull and turret finished....status so far...

DtUETL1.jpg

Still got to get the MG in place on the commanders turret, and find my spare lens for the main gun sight.....first one's somewhere on the floor, and being clear....probably never going to see it.....:think:, oh, and replace the cable for the night sight that broke off in weathering.......:smirk:

PaGcQju.jpg

Kept the turret with minimal ware and tear as I'd like it to look pretty new.........

FE4XSOQ.jpg

Might give this one a break for a bit and switch to another project.......but next task on this one is the running gear, mud, dust and then at the end the new set of primer red with a couple of old side armour.

Cheers all......

• Like 17

Thanks John 👍

Its been another learning curve one for me.......especially as regards Panthers. I picked up some really nice metal  burnishing paint for the inner line of wheels that rubs the guide horns. But,  by then I’d attached the running gear as I was following a build blogs where he did the same. So I couldn’t polish them on vehicle....never mind, next time. 

As regards the paint job.......as I said to Rob......you can study what Mig does or any of the notables.....great guides, but you have to develop your own to make the experience really fun. Im getting there now for a sequence that suits me🤓

Thanks again mate👍

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Soeren said:

The metallic shine here and there gives it a nice touch. Is that the burnishable paint? You applied which shade of the series?

Hi Soeren......yes its the Mr Metal ... burnt iron. I don’t  usually like dry brushing, but I wanted the turret too look pretty recent and have a thin translucent look showing through the steel. Very impressed with this paint. Came in handy all over with tools and improving the night vision equipment with a light dry brush

👍

• Redcoat2966 changed the title to PANTHER G Night Fighting
  • 1 year later...

Evening all.......decided to resurrect this one. Started it back in early 2019, and have left it staring at me from the case. After much deliberation I've decided what I don't like is the turret. Thought it would be a good idea at the time, but I've gone off it. .....so here's the plan.

NnlcFid.jpg

Had this languishing in the stash. Picked it some time ago. The intent is to scratch build a platform, and replace the turret.

8shUl8v.jpg

I bought an upgrade set also Unfortunately after I checked the kit out, and discovered it comes with a fair set of PE :think:. There again, I now have PE for ammo catch box, and minor details, etc. I'll have enough left over for another single barrelled FLAK in the parts bin.

That's it for now......:yes:

Cheers all

Redcoat

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

That's a real shame Simon, obviously you have to like it and be happy with it but even back in 2019 I thought it looked great!

Perfect is the enemy of good as the saying goes....

Darryl 

• Like 2

On 2/10/2022 at 7:44 AM, Jasper dog said:

That's a real shame Simon, obviously you have to like it and be happy with it but even back in 2019 I thought it looked great!

Perfect is the enemy of good as the saying goes....

Darryl 

On 2/10/2022 at 10:21 AM, Josebagasteiz said:

Your Panther is wonderful, I really like the painting with those controlled chipping. 

On 2/10/2022 at 1:20 PM, Stef N. said:

It has a Tony Greenland vibe to it so it is a big shame you can't carry on with it in my opinion. Never mind, onwards with your next project. 

Hi Chaps.....and thanks for the encouragement to keep ploughing on with it...with this in mind and after a long think about what to do next I've decided to change the Flak from the 30mm; due to a calamity in the build when I dropped it and caused un fixable damage :think:....to a 37mm Flak gun. I need to try and get one on Ebay for a good price.....then put the project back on the work schedule and see where it goes.....saved from the breakers yard at the last minute...:rolleyes:

Hope to post later in the year next steps........as I'm finishing a Kursk Panther I started some time ago and a King Tiger....

Cheers all...:yes:

Simon.

• Like 3

On 15/02/2022 at 11:40, Redcoat2966 said:

due to a calamity in the build when I dropped it and caused un fixable damage

OOOOHHH i bet there was some blue language bouncing around the workshop then......perhaps a name change from Redcoat ....to say ....butterfingers:rofl:

love ya bud :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, M3talpig said:

Met Tony a few times in the past ...really nice guy and a fantastic model maker ...loves his Tigers

We've mentioned Bill Horan, and Tony like him, is one of those modellers that were inspiring back in the day. His modelmaking was fantastic, still very good and worth looking at for tips and ideas.

• Like 1

• Redcoat2966 changed the title to PANTHER G + Adhoc 37mm FLAK

Thanks :yes:  everyone for the comments to keep it in the active project schedule........appreciate it and decided to move on with it as I said with a new flak piece in place of the dropped one..

On 2/17/2022 at 5:41 AM, M3talpig said:

OOOOHHH i bet there was some blue language bouncing around the workshop then......perhaps a name change from Redcoat ....to say ....butterfingers:rofl:

..and yes Steve, 'butterfingers" it is  :sad:....that was a costly drop......£35 including the PE upgrade set.....sod it :swear:.

Anyway,...........

........decided to keep moving onward with the weathering of the lower chassis and the wood plank insert ready for the 37mm Flak....(when I can pick one up). Here's some shots at this stage........it still needs the alcohol and matt varnish coat yet to fix all the pigments etc, and matt finish any shine where not needed. Finally last will be wet areas on the mud and oily patches here and there......and some tools and junk on the rear deck area. I don't want to put these on yet until the 37mm is done and in place........

B0q1iby.jpg

4XG6a4l.jpg

gei62IG.jpg

wHkg7Xh.jpg

mnQnmz9.jpg

gNOzJn3.jpg

XA4b4NS.jpg

RlMDMbA.jpg

QoWllrZ.jpg

Off to do some on my Kursk Panther.......cheers all.

Simon.

• Like 9

Weathering looks good, very natural for a well-used Panther.

Good to see this going again and making good progress. Hope you soon find the armament for it. 👍

• Thanks 1