Revell '41 Willys "Demon II"

I've always had an eye for Revell's "Street Demons" series back in 1983 but I don't really care for the gasser look that a few of 'em had...……..this one in particular. In staying with the theme I set out to change things up a little bit in the way of a slight color change up, stance, powertrain and interior.

The kits used:

0qBtqt.jpg

Powertrain : Came from the Revell 1968 Hemi Dart kit with upgrades to the ignition, fuel and throttle linkage systems.

Wheels: From Future Attractions. I had my machine shop at work cut the rear wheels in half to fit the rear tires. Initially the wheels were made for a dragster so they were too wide.

Paint: Testors Icy Blue Lacquer, Testors White Lightning Lacquer and Testors Wet Look Clear all decanted and shot through an airbrush.

Decals: Speedway Decals

X6vwAU.jpg

JDmkwA.jpg

qHszjb.jpg

DyPemO.jpg

KSdNFk.jpg

WHpcrN.jpg

1HUwaz.jpg

B0icBk.jpg

uDA6HU.jpg

4O37nt.jpg

01oVL0.jpg

Uq0Nbf.jpg

Ou7nEM.jpg

vVBGDI.jpg

N1C4MZ.jpg

iIaJeV.jpg

and as for that show that I attended in San Antonio, Texas? I nabbed a First Place in Street Rods:

bz43tA.jpg

Edited by mustang1989
  • Like 17

6 hours ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

What a beauty, with an amazing finish. Well-deserved award too!

We don't have the word 'gasser' in the UK, but I've seen it mentioned on several US TV shows. What does it mean?

Thanks AD. The term "gasser" refers to a car that competes in a gasoline-fueled drag racing class, rather than one using methanol or nitromethane. The front of the cars are substantially raised to distribute weight to the rear tires thus giving it better traction on take off or launch in a drag race. I'm not a real fan of them on the street but do like to see them in all out race equipment and paint.

Examples are below:

2017-02-22_00-02-26.jpg

001-nickey-1956-nomad-gasser-front-three

7 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Great paint and build. Congratulations on the award.

Thanks Pete. I appreciate  the comments bud.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Thanks AD. The term "gasser" refers to a car that competes in a gasoline-fueled drag racing class, rather than one using methanol or nitromethane. The front of the cars are substantially raised to distribute weight to the rear tires thus giving it better traction on take off or launch in a drag race. I'm not a real fan of them on the street but do like to see them in all out race equipment and paint.

Thanks for the great description and pictures.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delayed response fellas. Been busy in real life and not able to make it back to the forums much.  I do appreciate the great comments from all of you. Will be posting my next build here shortly after I look around and see what everyone has been up to first.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 30/03/2019 at 02:50, mustang1989 said:

Examples are below:

2017-02-22_00-02-26.jpg

001-nickey-1956-nomad-gasser-front-three

Thanks Pete. I appreciate  the comments bud.

Nice model, I like the nod to the original with the paint.

I wasn't here when this was originally posted, but the pedant in me feels compelled to point out neither of those pictured is really a gasser, only in the distorted sense of the term these days where anything with a jacked up front end and tube axle is automatically a "gasser".   Those would have been called street freaks in the '70s and '80s.  Also, whoever built that Comet needs a slap - it's such a confused mix of styles, and the tubs and modular wheels are just stupid.

These are real period gassers.

55chevyatlions-vi.jpg

25-vi.jpg

0851_126870164014700_4568323_n-vi.jpg

Rant over, as you were...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Six97s said:

Nice model, I like the nod to the original with the paint.

I wasn't here when this was originally posted, but the pedant in me feels compelled to point out neither of those pictured is really a gasser, only in the distorted sense of the term these days where anything with a jacked up front end and tube axle is automatically a "gasser".   Those would have been called street freaks in the '70s and '80s.  Also, whoever built that Comet needs a slap - it's such a confused mix of styles, and the tubs and modular wheels are just stupid.

These are real period gassers.

I hear you Six. Never really got into the gasser thing so I don't ....or didn't....know the true definition. Thanks for chiming in and for the additional info bud.

Metal flake and flames scream 70's. The CD player, the floor mat logo and the magazine not having a picture of a scantily clad young lady on the front mean otherwise.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Natter said:

Metal flake and flames scream 70's. The CD player, the floor mat logo and the magazine not having a picture of a scantily clad young lady on the front mean otherwise.

Thanks for the comments Dave. Consider her a slightly modernized 70's rod. lol. I guess I'm showing my age in some of my tastes but I'll definitely make a Pro Street ride out of just about anything. spacer.png