Who prefers Airfix?

FiremanAxe

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to have a slightly different title to the usual "new modeller", "returning modeller" type welcome message :-)

Just like so many others I'm returning to modelling after a *** year break.

I made loads as a child, some 35+ years ago, but rarely painted them, and it was a special event if I managed to get the propellers turning after a build.

At Christmas 2018 I saw a rerun of the James May life size spitfire program and it re-ignited a flame...…..

I bought 3 'X Wing' kits on ebay (revell I think, 1 for me, 1 for my son (22 years old) and 1 for his girlfriend) we sat and made them together, probably the best hour we have spent together in many years. We just chatted about random stuff and made X Wings. It was brilliant :-)

Then a few weeks later I noticed in ALDI they were selling  a selection of kits with paint and glue included so I bought a spitfire, phoned my son and he went to his local ALDI but they didn't have any :-(

So I went back to my local store (I'm in Manchester, he's in Leicester) and bought a whole load more :-)

It's kind of snowballed since then...

He's at uni studying to be a teacher (he already has a maths degree so is studying teaching now) and has built the XWing, Spitfire, Hurricane and has bought a couple of other kits from airfix ready for the next half term. I've bought him a Lancaster B3 to be going on with, he's really getting into it :-)

In the last 3 months I've built 12 Models, (XWing, 2x Spitfire, Hurricane, Mustang, FW109, Sea King helicopter, Lancaster (dambusters), a few Red arrows and hawks and a Gnat.)

I'm loving it, My proudest moment so far is finishing the Lancaster with all props turning, wheels spinning, turrets turning and guns moving, not a single stuck part and painted better than I could have hoped for. I'm still brush painting for now but have an airbrush on order and have just had delivered a couple of "parts missing" kits which will do to practice airbrushing on.

I also have a B17 "Memphis bell" academy set which has just arrived in the post and am looking out for a b29 "Enola gay" kit along with several other "Hawk" kits that are on top of the fridge waiting to be built along with another "Dambusters Lancaster" which appeared after a late night ebay session :-)

My original reason for joining the site was to ask should I build the B17 before painting on the sprues? or is it a good enough kit to paint after build (for a first time build, I can always do another and take more care second time round)

But to be honest I've had a few more kits arrive in the last few days so will probably take more time over the B17 and do it properly :-)

I've read a lot of posts online about the extremes people go to with detailing and seen some amazing examples of the work that can go into these models and whilst I am in awe of many of them, I understand that I have a long way to go, for now I'm over the moon if I produce a better model then I did as a child :-)

Anyway, that's probably enough from me.

I'll keep watching the site and looking for the tips and advice that come for all your collective experience (PVA for the clear plastic parts so they don't discolour, why did I not think of that???? brilliant)

P.S. My username is FiremanAxe, but I've never been a fireman (I do own several Axe's) It's a nickname which has stuck with me for many years, I actually have a very run of the mill job in IT, but I have recently helped a class of school children get to the national finals of the "fly to the line" primary school championship, we will be at RAF Cosford next Wednesday competing against a lot of other schools to see who can make a model glider fly the furthest. (they will be, I'll be taking pictures of myself and my Airfix Spitfire next to James Mays 1:1 scale model spitfire)

:-)

Regards,

Axe

• Like 7

Welcome, if you’re enjoying modelling again then you’re 100% there already. I try and learn something new with each build, this forum has some great members who will help if you get stuck (no pun intended).

Regards

Paul

• Like 1

In answer to the question in the title, the only fair answer is "sometimes", but there's no such thing as a perfect model company.  For comparisons with the better companies, you could try Tamiya or Eduard, but every one of them has the odd lemon or indeed the odd gem.

As for painting on the sprue, you will always find it better to paint details on the sprue - or at least before assembly to the main structure.  My mind boggles at the thought of painting the main camouflage schemes before assembly -how on earth can you ensure smooth fits and hidden joint lines?  Not to mention damage due to handling.

My advice however is simply to enjoy what you are doing.  However well or badly, like others or unique to you.  Improving is good, but not at the expense of turning a pleasure into a chore.

Hi Axe

Welcome to the forum.

However, regarding your query on painting, I would suggest that painting on the sprue/runner really only works for small parts. Main fuselage, wings, tailplane etc need to be assembled before painting the exterior scheme as there is generally a fair bit of tidying up of seams and gaps that needs to be done after the fuselage or wings etc have been glued together. Even well fitting kits need some tidying up.

Indeed, I nearly always paint aircraft wheels after removal from the sprue as the tyre surface often needs a seam removed by scraping with a knife and/or sanding.

Normally discussions of the type you have posted would be put in the "General Chat" forum.

Welcome.

With some of the big WW2 twin or four engine a/c I make I put a spar through the fuselage and don't glue the wings on. That way, when the end up in a box in the loft, the wings can be slid off for storage. ~It can also help with assembly as you are working with less awkward sections.

Hi 'Axe'

very much enjoyed reading your first post! ..welcome to BM.  My youngest is in his second year at Uni  - and after years of trying to get him into modelling - he's finally building and painting. And at 20 years old is finally asking me for tips. Great fun!

• Like 1

Welcome aboard, what an interesting story and some great work done there already!

It's an interesting question and a more complex situation, for me at least, than just buying a model. Like yourself, it would appear, I too spent every bit of pocket money on Airfix and Matchbox (the 2 readily available manufacturs at the time where you could pop into Woolies or your local post office and buy something for the half term.

Grew up next to RAF Leeming so I always wanted to build the aircraft we saw daily which was all RAF types, all USAF(E) and a good few NATO. We'd previsously lived next to Hurn airport and again I'd wanted to replicate the types seen there too. Airfix catared for a lot of those.

Some 30 years or so later and still enjoying a career in aviation I'm making models again, and enjoying it, for the challenge and finished results, but also the peace and relaxation it gives me now.

Going back to the original question, I am brand loyal as a person, and also there is an amount of finding that childhood pleasure again, so yes if it's there in Airfix, I'll buy it, by way I guess of thanks for my childhood. That doesn't stop me, however, buying another manufacturers products if I like a kit.

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome!  I was caught by your lead in question and in answer to it I would not say it is my favorite as I don't really have one but they have been pitting out great models for some time now.  Some of their older kits might be stinkers as far as fit and decals go but I have had good luck with anything done after say mid 1990's.  Anyway, I have to agree that painting details on the sprue works but the exterior I paint after the fuselage and wings are on but prior to attaching many of the other exterior parts, such as wheels, antenna, props, etc.. They just get broken off anyway so this helps to do this as a final step.  But I am using spray paint/airbrush on the exterior.