Pirate Ship 'To be named'

Hello everyone!

Today I want to start a project that started about five years ago when I bought the revell pirate ship "Black Swan" wich is originally from Zvezda and is basically the black pearl with a different figurehead... a swan... yeah really pirate like...

So I bought this five years ago, opened the box and decided I'm not yet ready for this...

So now I am... at least I'll try anyway!

So my plans are to get this to look really realistic, so no deep black ship that looks like it survided a wildfire. I want to change the figurehead and then find a suitable name.

so here's the box:

001.jpg

Its massive...

but a big portion of the parts will not be used...

002.jpg
003.jpg
004.jpg

the shrouds will be done with real ropes and wooden bull's-eyes and the yards (and masts) will be replicated in wood

I might use the blocks provided in the kit they do look well done

First thing I have done was deciding on colors for the wooden decks and the hull

I used the life boat for testing

005.jpg
006.jpg
007.jpg
008.jpg
009.jpg
010.jpg

I quite like the result... here is one for scale... not at all the right figure but the only 1/72 I had

011.jpg

and a mock up to show the size of this beauty... I am so stoked about finally doing this!

012.jpg
013.jpg
014.jpg

So then I started with the decks

First a basecoat of a skin toned beige, than multiple tonal variations by mixing it with different colors and washes in brown and sephia

015.jpg
016.jpg

...followed by a heavy wash of black

017.jpg

and last but not least a dry brushing with an off-white cream color

018.jpg

and again a quick mock up to see if it works for the scale...

019.jpg

I like the result very much!

The lower battery deck got the same treatment minus the tonal variation as almost none of it will be visible through the gun ports or the stairways...

Next up:

Building 32 Canons, painting them and painting of the inner walls... Sounds like fun!

Thanks for watching!

Any Input or recommendations regarding figureheads are more than welcome!

Cheers Konrad

• Like 16

Well you've managed to point me towards a project that I wouldn't normally consider. That kit looks very interesting and your progress looks excellent. I'll follow along to see where this will go.

4 hours ago, Courageous said:

What you've done with the decks is great, personally, I think that would have gone darker.

Carry on m' hearty. :pirate:

Stuart

As I said, I‘m after a well used but maintened look which IMHO is more likely for a pirate ship... as it might look rather cool torn to shreds sails will not give you the maneuverability that is necessary to overcome and enter another ship... so sorry for that.😬 Sunbleached decks it‘ll be!

1 hour ago, DarylH said:

Well you've managed to point me towards a project that I wouldn't normally consider. That kit looks very interesting and your progress looks excellent. I'll follow along to see where this will go.

Well, you‘re welcome😉

as to where this will go... I couple of years ago a member from a German forum build this to an absolutely incredible standard... I have revisited his build log very often in the last few weeks. Here is the link to it:

https://www.wettringer-modellbauforum.de/forum/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=50055&pageNo=1&highlight=Reaper&s=20f4c0b5d3811f7b2a6b74c2ef5eefaab5551d87

And the finished ship:

https://www.wettringer-modellbauforum.de/forum/index.php?page=Thread&postID=781808#post781808

If I end up with something not even half as good as this then I’m all pleased.

but we will see!

now back to the canon assembly line...

cheers Konrad

• Like 2

Hey Folks!

Not much progress to report... I am still busy cleaning up all the parts for the canons. each consist of seven parts... so with 32 canons there are well over 200 parts to be cleaned up... 😨

020.jpg

But I could not resist to already build at least one

Here it is:

021.jpg

I chose a redbrown color to match the inside hull wich has yet to be painted...

Here it is where it belongs... I thing the color works well with the deck color.

022.jpg

If anyone is interested, the metal color is black base, light drybrushed with bronze and then washed with nihilakh oxide from citadel. this stuff is awesome for all brass/copper/bronze parts!

Thats it for now!

Cheers Konrad

• Like 10

Gidday Konrad, I love that cannon, a warship's/pirate ship's reason for being. A question if I may? Being Orstraylian and never been off-shore I have no idea what size that coin is, hence can't visualize the size of the gun. How long is it please? Regards, Jeff.

Very nive work Konrad, your painted "wood" looks very convincing, I also like the explicit info you give about the colours you have tried/ used. I never seem to get my wood simulation right myself and I always fret about what colours to use. 

Regards,

Arjan

On 31/03/2019 at 05:09, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Konrad, I love that cannon, a warship's/pirate ship's reason for being. A question if I may? Being Orstraylian and never been off-shore I have no idea what size that coin is, hence can't visualize the size of the gun. How long is it please? Regards, Jeff.

Hello Jeff,

I don‘t now if you folks down under still use the size of the queens feet for measurements or if you are already using the metric system so I made two pictures just for you!😉

B7-B66228-F100-43-FE-819-C-6-F1-F041-FBB

3-F3-AE0-B5-0446-401-B-AF1-D-985-B9-BB8-

Cheers

Konrad

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Gidday Konrad, many thanks. We use metric officially now but I can relate to imperial feet and inches. In fact, as a kid I learnt all my ship measurements in feet and still use that when comparing them.

As for the cannon above, it has a lot of detail for it's size, very impressive. Again, thanks. Regards, Jeff.

I understand we are going back to feet and inches in the very near future. I remember reading somewhere that the actual measurements were taken from Henry II.

As to the ship's name, for a British readership it has to be the Black Pig (shades of Captain Pugwash).

Martian 👽

• Like 3

Gidday All, many years ago in early High School I read a fictional novel about a pirate ship, in the Caribbean I think. She was named, believe it or not, the Black Swan. I don't recall a commando armed with an AR15 style weapon though. Regards, Jeff.

Edited by ArnoldAmbrose
  • Haha 1

@Martian Hale

I always imagined my first contact with extra terrestrial life would be on an interstellar mission that I volunteered for to safe our solar system...

guess I have to live with the disappointment...😜

sincerely, 

a human

• Haha 1

Today I want to show you a little something that bothered me too much to accept it...

025.jpg

the hawsepipes (is it called pipes on sailing ships too??) are in an impossible to operate spot. the anchor cable needs to run longitudinal through the ship to the capstan sowith the hawsepipes on the sides of the ship the cable would be locked almost 90° under the weight of the anchor and you could never haul them inboard! so I had to fix that...

I copied the form as good as I could and placed it in the desired position

026.jpg

then the old one had to go and the holes to be filled

027.jpg
028.jpg

rescribing the planks was a real challenge as i could not use the metal ruler on the curved surface...

But I was pleased with the result.

Now I had to copy that on the starboard side...

029.jpg

Not a complete mirror image but good enough considered that when displayed you will not see both sides at the same time...

030.jpg
031.jpg

Thats it for now...

Now there is only the huge capstan left that is part of the main mast... that is really impractical as you need the space around the mast for the rigging... I'd love to change that too but I'm not sure I can fix the planking that is now covered with the capstan's stand ...

032.jpg

Maybe I will have to live with that...

The german builder I mentioned earlier solved this by taking a mold from the planking and casting a resin copy that he inserted into the hole where the capstan was but I honestly am not brave enough to try casting.

If anyone of you has a better solution to this please let me now!

Thanks for watching

Cheers Konrad

PS.: @ArnoldAmbrose thats a german G36 :whistle:

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Courageous said:

Good work on the hawes hole correction.

I was going to ask about the plank pattern for the old hawes hole that you've filled but you have the same problem with the capstan area.

Stuart

Hallo Stuart,

under a coat of paint it‘s not too obvious but I have to see how it looks after washing and dry brushing...

F49735-A3-2553-4-F9-D-A0-C5-300964-D2-D3

But the area is pretty small compared to the capstan area...

13 hours ago, longshanks said:

Some great working going on here . . .

Handy that you post the colours you use. I like the Deck :thumbsup:

Kev

You‘re welcome! But I have to say my color choice was more a matter of what I have in stock, not so much whether or not it’s the best color for the job...

cheers Konrad

Edited by USS_ESSESS
  • Haha 1

Huge Update today!

(no it's not the canons... I'm a student. I am really good at procrastinating😅)

BUT I did a couple of other things!

I found another little error that had to be fixed...

033.jpg

hmm...

034.jpg

the trustworthy soldier (measured from head to toe 1,69m) found the door to be way to small!

so I extended it with sheet

035.jpg
036.jpg
037.jpg
038.jpg

way better!

Next thing on the list is the stern...

039.jpg

looks better...

And I started painting the hull

040.jpg

041.jpg

042.jpg

this is still only base colors... I think there might be some spots where I'll have to fill and sand some gaps when joining the hull

And here comes be best thing!

I found a figurehead! well at least I found a nice figure that I can use with some small modifications.

043.jpg

The figure is from Games Workshop and is called a myrmourn banshee...

First I mocked up the whole stem and cutwater

044.jpg

then I had to swallow some brave pills...

045.jpg

but it was well worth it!

May I present to you: The Black Widow!!!

048.jpg

046.jpg
047.jpg
There is still some detailwork to be done so everything fits perfectly but I really like the way this looks!

thats it for today!

Thanks for stopping by,

Cheers Konrad

• Like 9

7 hours ago, USS_ESSESS said:

May I present to you: The Black Widow!!!

Gidday Konrad, not really the sort of young lady I'd like to take home to meet the family. If I saw that ship's prow coming at me out of the mist (or gunsmoke) I would learn to dog-paddle very fast very quickly. You've done a very good bit of custom modification, I think. Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1