RAF Dakota C-47 FZ668

Brenden S

Hi all,

I am after some help if possible please. I am trying to track down some WW2 images of a Dakota C-47 from RAF 271 SQN FZ668 

I have attempted to search the UK National Archives and the usual spots on google but nothing has come up. Any leads would be welcome.

Have you tried investigating from the home base airfield angle? Someone might have something photographed at Down Ampney maybe? Try the Airfield Information Exchange website (if you haven't already) Possibly local history sites in the Cotswolds?

• 1 month later...

Brenden,

Maybe knowing the history of your Dakota might be helpful in tracking down some images of her. I found the following information on  the Joe Baugher website:

42-92451;  C-47A-5-DK (MSN 12253) delivered to the USAAF 1/24/44; to RAF on 2/4/44 as FZ668; 271, 187. 525 squadrons; returned to the USAAF 9/3/46; to Trans-Canada Airlines as CF-TER; to Canadian Dept. of Transport on 12/89 as C-FDTD; transferred  7/93 to the Space Museum of Quebec, but sighted engineless  on 1/94 at the Saint-Hubert airport. I hope this information will be helpful.

Mike

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, thanks for the replies so far.

I have searched and contacted the UK National Archives, RAFM, AHB and the IWM. So far I have been able to get limited information. Below is the information/research that I have got so far.

D-Day invasion stripes were painted on for June 6th around the whole fuselage and top and bottom wings. The stripes on top of the wings were removed and the stripes from the waterline (Basically the floor) up were painted over post D-Day.

The code YS-J was painted on the aircraft. YS in red and J in white.

The RAF serial FZ668 was painted in red

The colour scheme was Olive Drab on top, and Medium sea grey on the lower fuselage

The propeller domes depending on the flight were red or blue (A or B Flight)

There are next to no images/Video of 271 SQN or 46 group for that matter anywhere that anyone has been able to find in their collections.

Any additional comments etc would be welcome as the aircraft is only 2 weeks away from flying.