P-61B Black Widow - Sleepy Time Gal - FINISHED

AaronKSJ

I'm going to commit to this and start a thread for my Black Widow build.

Have always loved the twin boom P-61 and P-38, this will be my first Black Widow in 1/48 so excited to get cracking with it. 
Just got to finish off my current build (Wildcat) then I'll make a start.

I read yesterday that someone mentioned there was fitment issues with the nose weight causing the fuselage to not fit snugly, has anyone else had an issues with this kit? 

Going to be using the kit decals for Sleepy Time Gal - with an overall black finish to fit nicely in with the nightfighter category of this GB

gcVzk4Nmc58QVJ2-Amy8O7PGre4tVNj_NyxCDuly

Aaron

Edited by AaronKSJ
  • Like 9

Thanks Alistair!

I have a soft spot for anything with twin engines from the US in WWII.
I've just built a few fighters so far since getting back into the swing of modelling (Hellcat/Mustang/ soon to be finished Wildcat) so eager to start something a little bigger.  

Have an Academy boxed version of the B-25G in 1/48 - but saving that until I can bring my A game to it! Depending on how quickly I get the P-61 done, I might make a start on that next as it'll fit into the Ship Killer theme for this GB... 

• Like 2

welcome along Aaron and by the looks of it (ok I read Alistair's post) a special welcome to your first GB.

Some nice choices for getting back into the swing of things and a great model to bring to the GB. I really do like the Black Widow......even though I still haven't finished the Great Wall version after 7 years!!

The Mitchell would also be awesome to see in the GB, but no pressure! :D

Good luck with the build, I hope you enjoy the experience here, and I look forward to seeing her in the gallery.

Thanks Rich!

No pressure for the B-25G then, haha, I'll see how I get on the P-61.
I think I spotted a future GB thread that mentioned "shark mouths" so the B-25G will be showing up at some point soon either which way.  :)

Ah yes, I think I might get a GWH P-61 once I've whittled down a few more kits from the stash, as the kit looks gorgeous. 

• Like 1

Good choice, I like the p61, the Gw  p61  does looks a dream kit, this will  build  really nicely I've seen a couple built up they are  good looking  kits, hobbyboss has a rough ride sometimes, but they do some really good kits

On 30/03/2019 at 15:31, Col. said:

That must be quite a substantial model in 48th scale?

It certainly is going to form a large lump of plastic! 

On 30/03/2019 at 17:27, Hewy said:

Good choice, I like the p61, the Gw  p61  does looks a dream kit, this will  build  really nicely I've seen a couple built up they are  good looking  kits, hobbyboss has a rough ride sometimes, but they do some really good kits

I'm fairly certain that I will be buying the GWH P-61 in the not to distant future. Although it is twice the price of the Hobby Boss kit I suspect it will be worth it...
I also like the idea of a black and a green/grey P-61 lined up on display. 

I got the Wildcat finished off and shifted off the bench at the weekend so have made a few tiny steps with the start of the P-61.

Once I'd got the kit out of the various plastic bags I spotted a pretty big flaw with my copy. The entire underside of one of the fuselage halves is mis-molded :(  Not a good start!
Not entirely sure what's happened as there is a 1cm wide band all along the bottom seam where the plastic has no engraved detailed and has a rough orange peel texture. 
I don't know enough about the molding process, but either something has gone wrong in the mold or some sort of chemical has gotten onto the plastic and reacted badly. 

SO that'll need sanding down and polishing out at some point before I have a go a inscribing the panel lines.

I've mainly just been tidying up the interior parts... So the interior, the pilots section looks nice and busy. But then the gunner and radio operator sections are really poor in comparison. 
Could have really done with even a little bit of frame structure in there to spice it up, but sadly there is only pin marks and some holes that need filling.

I was going to pick up some etched seat belts, but have decided to have a go at making my own with masking tape. Going to keep those pennies saved for the next project instead. 

MlAe6WZdmVVw9xt6ep7uSwWzT1Y_DGBV9mX0Bxti

I've included this pic so you can see what I mean about the interior. I'm sure it would be easy enough to spruce up a tad - but that's beyond my skills at the moment.

While doing some dry fitting noticed that the nose halves don't want to meet, think its either the instrument panel or cockpit floor that is to wide so will be trying to sort that out this evening with some sanding. 

Even though this post probably seems fairly moany - for a £28 kit of this size I think the detailing is pretty good.  Will see how my opinion changes once I get it glued together! 
And if I can recover the dodgy fuselage half...

Aaron

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AaronKSJ said:

Even though this post probably seems fairly moany - for a £28 kit of this size I think

£ 28  is very fair, You do get a lot of bang for your buck with hobbyboss ( not always accurate) but I find they're one of those manufacturers where a little dry fitting is in order, it's usually nothing serious, saying that I built the Gw f15 and that needed a bit of a fettle, 

Maybe it's only tamiya that's nailed it

Good  evening Aaron

I would like to know if the building instrution sheet is detailed because I am building the HB 1/72 Black Widow kit and I had to use the Dragon building notice to help me painting the interior ..

All the best

Patrice

5 hours ago, AaronKSJ said:

I was going to pick up some etched seat belts, but have decided to have a go at making my own with masking tape. Going to keep those pennies saved for the next project instead.

Good man! Nice to see a man after my own heart, good choice of subject too as I do like a Black Widow.

13 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

I would like to know if the building instrution sheet is detailed

Hi Patrice, I'm afraid to report that the painting instructions are awful. According to the instructions everything should be painted interior green!
Good idea about the Dragon instructions, I have also been looking at the GWH instructions for their P-61 which I found on the Scalemates website. 
The various instructions do contradict themselves on a few areas so will need to track down some reference photos too.

11 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Good man! Nice to see a man after my own heart, good choice of subject too as I do like a Black Widow.

This will be my first attempt at fabricating my own belts. I suspect some cursing maybe involved!
I did spot a rather fancy set of seat of belts for the P-61 on Hannants - but they are near enough £10 and suspect they may be too large for the Hobby Boss seats as the kit seats look pretty small for 1/48.

Managed an hours worth of sanding last night so the interior is looking shipshape now and everything seems to fit into place when dry fitting. 

I have a few painting questions to ask you all, any pointers / help would be great!:

Does anyone know what colour the wheel wells should be? Interior green or zinc yellow? Tried to find some photos but not found anything conclusive yet.

I've picked up the Montex mask set, which includes the mask for the star and bars. Can anyone recommend a suitable blue? My paints of choice are Tamiya / Mig or pretty much anything that can be thinned with Tamiya thinners or Mr Hobby self-levelling thinners.
Also ideally a blue straight from the bottle that doesn't need mixing with another colour!

With the overall black paint scheme, I had it in my head that I was going to do a faded black / gray. But having seen a few pics of Black Widows in museums they all look to be solid black and glossy? 
Where as some of the black and white photo's from the time seem to suggest some fading or it that just a dirt / dust? 
I leaning more towards a faded effect as it'll be more interesting to paint. 

Aaron

• Like 1

Oh, I knew there was something else I wanted to ask.

The underwing fuel tanks. They can be left off of the model right? I've already filed in the holes that where present to fit them as I want to keep it looking more streamlined.
But while looking at other kit instructions a few seem to suggest that they should be fitted and not optional (like the bombs / rockets) 
Although a lot of the era pics I've just been looking at don't show the fuel tanks fitted - so I'm guessing that's fine for me to leave them off.

Aaron

Edited by AaronKSJ

Ta-da.

Had two fairly productive days on Friday and Saturday have have finished off the interior areas of the P-61.

First attempted at making seat belts out of masking tape, not works of art but will hopefully pass mustard once they are under the canopy.

Used Mig Ammo for the interior green, which was dry brushed with Mig Zinc yellow. Then used the Mig brown wash for the crevices. Black bits, painted black(!) and then drybrushed light grey. 
Little bit of chipping in silver and some light brown pastel chalk rubbed in various places to dirty it up. IP dials given blobs of gloss varnish after everything had been given a matt coat. 

Decided to paint the wheel wells zinc chr yellow. 

qqcArxp5ySHemOaJRk5Hc5y2bdNC0h2FmNpckYQZ 

ikdX30u3JjxzLjQpU0UW_VADDTnlaOlUdoE8T92n

2yTxmpOilW0Ut-vOwaBtM2G9_bLXNxUHUvL7yCxu

0BQQR9ZBh3I0uBf6XcTwoshpjmBEcYha5ri0fRrh

zWuQO2gXFjsLywdUwp9vQdN7mUYgLY9Rol7cxlLT

Aaron

• Like 7

On 02/04/2019 at 10:53, AaronKSJ said:

Oh, I knew there was something else I wanted to ask.

The underwing fuel tanks. They can be left off of the model right? I've already filed in the holes that where present to fit them as I want to keep it looking more streamlined.
But while looking at other kit instructions a few seem to suggest that they should be fitted and not optional (like the bombs / rockets) 
Although a lot of the era pics I've just been looking at don't show the fuel tanks fitted - so I'm guessing that's fine for me to leave them off.

Aaron

Good afternoon Aaron

According to the P61 Black Widow Units of WW2 book from the Osprey Combat Aircraft serie ''Sleepy Time Gal'' was a P61A-10 of the 425 Night Fighter Squadron based in France in autumn 1944  the Black Widows serving in the ETO were very rarely equipped with underwing fuel tanks oin the other hand the Black Widows that operated in the PTO were always fitted with fuel tanks ...

By the way very good job on the cockpit interior ..

All the best

Patrice

Edited by TEMPESTMK5

5 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

According to the P61 Black Widow Units of WW2 book from Osprey Sleepy Time Gal was a P61A-

Haha, oh well. I knew HB kits have a habit of not being very accurate. I'll be sticking the turret on this anyway I guess. 

Aaron

3 minutes ago, AaronKSJ said:

Haha, oh well. I knew HB kits have a habit of not being very accurate. I'll be sticking the turret on this anyway I guess. 

Aaron

Hello again Aaron

Be careful if you want to build an accurate P61 as most of the A models were not equipped with the turret (but it is your build after all ..)..

Patrice

arrr that cockpit looks amazing well done!!  :thumbsup:   Sorry it's taken me a bit to catch up on some of these builds.

Arrr I usually have a painted thumb like that (and other fingers) glad to see it just isn't me.

On 3/31/2019 at 1:01 AM, Col. said:

That must be quite a substantial model in 48th scale?

she is!! I've got the GWH A version and she's hogging the "shelf of doom"........only because I haven't gotten around to finished her......after 5 odd years!

While the GWH model is a really nice model it has issues with the engine cowlings! They are the wrong shape and the openings a way too small! Quickboost do a nice set of replacements that come with props as well.

I must say that you did a solid job on the interior painting!

It looks terrific!

(I must not start that GWH, P-61 in the stash, I must not start that GWH, P-61 in the stash, I must not start that GWH, P-61 in the stash, I must not start that GWH, P-61 in the stash, I must not start that GWH, P-61 in the stash, I must not start that GWH, P-61 in the stash, I must not start that GWH, P-61 in the stash, I must not start that GWH, P-61 in the stash, I must not start that GWH, P-61 in the stash, I must not start that GWH, P-61 in the stash, I must not start that GWH, P-61 in the stash, I must not start that GWH, P-61 in the stash, I must not start that GWH, P-61 in the stash, I must not start that GWH, P-61 in the stash)

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, trickyrich said:

arrr that cockpit looks amazing well done!!  :thumbsup:

Thanks Rich! I'm pretty certain that I will be acquiring the GWH version at some point in the future. Just need to whittle down a few from the stash first! 

It's taking a lot of will power at the moment to not buy the HB 1/48 P-38 at the moment.... 

2 hours ago, Christer A said:

I must say that you did a solid job on the interior painting!

Thanks you! I think the cockpit painting is always the bit I enjoy the most. 

I must not start  add that GWH P-61 in the stash,  I must not start  add that GWH P-61 in the stash,  I must not start  add that GWH P-61 in the stash,  I must not start  add that GWH P-61 in the stash,  I must not start  add that GWH P-61 in the stash 😏

Got a bit done last night. Glued the fuselage together and made a start at cleaning up the seams. It looks like the weird molding flaw that I mentioned earlier on had been sorted with sanding, perhaps still a little pitted looking. 

One thing to watch out for, the bottom set of canons, when added splay outwards. I re-shapped the gun ports to improve things at tad.

Tonight I'll be making a start on gluing the wings together and finish of the painting for the undercarriage. Then I get to see if there are any alignment issues with the twin booms... 

Aaron

(oh, when I was taking the pics of the interior I got round to taking some snaps of the Wildcat, the one in the my first post here. 
If you're interested the link to it is HERE

• Haha 1

Manged some time on the bench last night. 

Undercarriage is all sorted and ready to glue together the two tail-booms - annoyingly the undercarriage struts need gluing in place at this point and can't be left till later on in the build. 

Little bit wary about how the wings are going to fit to the fuselage. Looks like there's going to be gaps, so might try the stretched sprue filling technique as this will hopefully strengthen the joints.
Also came a bit of a cropper with the air intakes at the wing root - should have sanded them both down as they are little too large. After I realised the mistake with the first one, sorted out the second. 

Aaron

• Like 2

3 hours ago, trickyrich said:

with little mess

Ha, famous last words. I never tried stretching sprue before. I can predict I'll somehow find a way to set myself alight. :jump_fire:

Think I'll have a bash with a sanding stick to see I can coax a nice join on the wings as at the moment it looks like there'll be gaps connecting the wings to the fuselage at the top and bottom. I suspect I might have stuffed up gluing the lower inner wing section to the top section.... 

In other news I may have tripped, fell and accidental purchased the Hobby Boss 1/48 P-38 🙄

Found a copy for £14.99 inc postage so couldn't really resist! I have a soft spot for twin-booms 

Aaron

• Like 1