1/35 AFV Club M88A1

Ernie

I will enter with this guy...….

46568483095_f80772f0c6_c.jpg

I might not start immediately as I have a couple of things to finish first, and one of the kits tracks is damaged so I have ordered a new set of tracks, an etch set, and a reference book, so I will  need to wait for those to show up before I can get too far into this build. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Ernie welcome to the group build. Glad to see even more variants showing up. If you need anything please ask one of the hosts.

Dennis

Thank you Dennis !

7 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Looks like an interesting looking version. Hope your stuff turns up soon so we can see your build in progress. :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thank you, I should be able to start soon, I ordered what I needed very early this morning after work and it has already shipped, so should have by next week.

4 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Smashing choice Ernie, I like the odd non fighting afv myself. 

Thank you Sir, I too tend to like the engineering / support vehicles so this should be a fun build! 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Yetifan said:

Great to see an M88 variant, I was looking at one of these as an option myself. Great looking vehicles 🙂

Thank you, yes they are cool looking vehicles......

4 hours ago, Plasto said:

Yep great choice and a nice kit also..

Thank you, the kit does look very nice and I am looking forward to building it......I've had it since it was first released, so it is about time I reckon :thumbsup:

So, made a little progress on this over the weekend!

47447918132_dc89ee6b59_c.jpg

Where I started, a box of still sealed sprues :thumbsup: This kit is from the first production run in 1994, so it is about time to free the sprues!:penguin:

40553838993_239948a0e7_c.jpg

These two cylinders are the supports for the boom. I spent some time pondering this aspect of the construction process as the instructions want one to attach the boom early in the construction process, where it will inevitably be in the way. So the arms were assembled, they need to be moveable, so they were taped in place and the pins inserted through the arms into the support blocks, A drop of thick superglue was placed on the ends of the pins and left to harden, the though being the thick glue would not leach back along the pins and cement the arms, thus making them immovable. 

46604388355_53dd3012dc_c.jpg

The suspension added. This is as much as I can do to the suspension until I figure out what paint scheme I am going to do. I had always planed to do this in a Desert Storm paint scheme, but the more I look at the different MERDC schemes, the more I am considering going with one of those instead. No mater, there is plenty of work ahead with the upper hull.

• Like 4

Thats some good work for a weekend. The Desert storm Tan would be good, however Im personally a MERDC fan. The summer woodland verdants, or the desert verdants would be some good options here in my opinion. I know Ive got a couple of future builds in mind myself. An M60 in USMC desert MERDC, and an early 80’s M1 Abrams in woodland. Looking forward to see which way you ultimately choose to go. 

Dennis

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Thats some good work for a weekend. The Desert storm Tan would be good, however Im personally a MERDC fan. The summer woodland verdants, or the desert verdants would be some good options here in my opinion. I know Ive got a couple of future builds in mind myself. An M60 in USMC desert MERDC, and an early 80’s M1 Abrams in woodland. Looking forward to see which way you ultimately choose to go. 

Dennis

Thank you Dennis, it was a rather productive weekend, managed the start on this, finished my BB-8 droid that is in the Sci-fi section above, and worked on the cockpit of my La-15 in the NATO group build :clap: I was thinking of the desert MERDC as well, we'll see, don't have to make up my mind quite yet:D

9 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Ernie. Great to see this is underway and looks like a good start too!

Kind regards,

Stix

Thank you! She is beginning to roll along now!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...