First Airbrush

Liam Harrison

Hey all! I'm in the market for my first airbrush and compressor set, and I admit I'm pretty much in over my head.

As far as compressors go, I'm looking at this Artlogic - it seems not-too-cheap but also not breaking the bank? For my first airbrush, I've got a couple options that have been recommended to me several times over - first, a Badger Renegade Krome, and second an Iwata HP-CS. Some people I've spoken to have said the Krome is better serving as a dedicated fine detail brush, to be combined with a more generic paint-sprayer, but I dunno how relevant that would be to someone like me who'll be fumbling for his first few dozen hours with the thing regardless.

Any pointers or suggestions? What was your first airbrush and would you recommend it to a budding beginner? Generic as hell topic I know, apologies.

Edited by Liam Harrison
  • Like 1

Get a compressor with a tank (better in the long term) and an airbrush that's built like a tank and has very cheap spares (H&S is great at that). Not that I have something against Iwatas, but almost all their models have the microscopic nozzle that you can easily crack when you're a beginner and the replacements aren't cheap. Add in the cost of seals which you're likely to damage on your first few cleaning operations. H&S Evolution and a Fengda compressor with a tank (AS186 for example) would be my advice. If you can go the extra mile you could get the Evolution 2 in 1 with a few of the upgrades (Infinity style needle caps, MAC valve).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Assuming you are looking to paint areas as well as  smaller details, I would look at the Harder & Steenbeck Ultra 2in1 as a great starter brush.

Easy to use, clean, disassemble and spares don't cost a fortune.

https://www.modellingtools.co.uk/hs-ultra-2in1br---02mm-04mm-nozzle-and-v20-needles--2ml-5ml-paint-cups-3703-p.asp

If you have a bigger budget, then the Evolution Silverline 2in1 is the next logical step up.  

https://www.modellingtools.co.uk/h--s-evolution-silverline-2in1-airbrushbr---02mm-04mm-nozzle-v2-needlesbr2ml-5ml--cups-3708-p.asp

Both have  0.2mm nozzle for detail and normal work and the 0.4mm for area work. They both have a 2ml and 5ml paint cup.  

The Silverline has a preset handle at the back to allow you to set a maximum paint flow and also accepts the micro paint cup and larger paint cups.

Compressors are best bought locally,  get a chinese 186 with a tank if you can get a good price, check how long the warranty is.

I personally wouldn't touch one that has a 3 or 6 months warranty, make sure it's at least a 12 month warranty.

Hope that helps,

Paul

• Thanks 1