“Ignored User” function not working?

I’ve tried to use this function to avoid having to constantly scroll past a certain member’s one-man board invasions but it isn’t having any effect. Does it take time to activate or is it just not working? 

Thanks

J.A.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, johnny akes said:

I’ve tried to use this function to avoid having to constantly scroll past a certain member’s one-man board invasions but it isn’t having any effect. Does it take time to activate or is it just not working? 

Thanks

J.A.

Hi,  johnny. Where is this button? I would like to try it for the same reason.

Johnny the ignore user function only ignores posts, it doesn't stop you seeing any topics that user might have started, so if you went to the 'View New Content' screen, for example, you would still see any of that user's topics listed, but if you clicked on them you wouldn't see their posts. Is that what you are seeing? I can vouch for the function's effectiveness at hiding the relevant users posts.

17 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Hi,  johnny. Where is this button? I would like to try it for the same reason.

Vinnie, if you hover your mouse over the user's avatar picture a box with the user's details appears - at the bottom of the box are three options, the middle one of which is 'Ignore User'

HTH 

Cheers,

Stew

3 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Vinnie, if you hover your mouse over the user's avatar picture a box with the user's details appears - at the bottom of the box are three options, the middle one of which is 'Ignore User'

HTH 

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks, Stew, got it.👍

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Johnny the ignore user function only ignores posts, it doesn't stop you seeing any topics that user might have started, so if you went to the 'View New Content' screen, for example, you would still see any of that user's topics listed, but if you clicked on them you wouldn't see their posts. Is that what you are seeing? I can vouch for the function's effectiveness at hiding the relevant users posts.

HTH 

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks Stew, I see what you mean now.

More's the pity that it doesn't block the actual topics - it really winds me up how one person can hijack the board to the point where everyone else's work is forced off the front few pages so quickly that they don't get the attention and exposure their work deserves.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, johnny akes said:

Thanks Stew, I see what you mean now.

More's the pity that it doesn't block the actual topics - it really winds me up how one person can hijack the board to the point where everyone else's work is forced off the front few pages so quickly that they don't get the attention and exposure their work deserves.

I know who you´re talking about, I counted over 10 topics from this person last night alone. Maybe the mods could step in?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, johnny akes said:

it really winds me up how one person can hijack the board to the point where everyone else's work is forced off the front few pages so quickly that they don't get the attention and exposure their work deserves.

Have you tried a PM to the member explaining the issue? Perhaps they are unaware of the issue they create.

Might be worth a go..

I don’t want to impose or propose any kind of censorship Plasto, as clearly some members evidently enjoy his posts; others might share my views, others won’t but if the mods are happy with the situation it isn’t my place to challenge it.

l can’t believe the poster concerned isn’t aware of it though: anyone who responsible for 36 out of the last 100 topics as of yesterday can only be doing it deliberately. I’d just like to be able to avoid them if possible.

• Like 3

I thought there was something wrong with my feed at first as all the models were from years ago, until I checked the date posted 😂

Like you say @Plasto it will probably play it self out when he runs out of models....

I know it would be work to set up, but couldn't the RFI section be for projects just finished and maybe have another section for older builds that people want to post?

Ian :) 

• Like 1

On 27/03/2019 at 20:50, johnny akes said:

Thanks

J.A.

Go on .... who is it :D tell us 

• Haha 2

RFI is for the display of completed builds I don’t think there is any time limit on when the model was completed if it is recent work or several years old.  Neither is there a limit to how frequently you can post in the forum. 

So so if someone has a lot of models creates the posts and associated images to support the post then that’s basically all ok AFAIK

8 minutes ago, Plasto said:

Neither is there a limit to how frequently you can post in the forum. 

But people should have a self imposed limit. In this case, the user we're talking about published 18 topics between Monday and Tuesday, which very much take the spotlight from other users.

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

What you’re talking about is some users view on forum etiquette or established norms which some folk are aware of and others for whatever reason are not. 

In time it will balance out....

Edited by Plasto

Well, they're some pretty well executed builds of some unusual kits of unusual subjects, fully documented and nicely photographed, so from my point of view, if he's prepared to put the effort into making the posts, which as we well know takes some time, what's the problem? If you come at this with the attitude that somehow your build in RFI has a right to a certain amount of exposure, time in the spotlight, and number of responses, then I'm sorry, but that's not how it works. Once you've put your build up in RFI, you've thrown your bread on the waters, and you just have to wait and see what comes floating back. Over the years, I've found no way to predict what will pique people's interest and get them engaged... I just post up my builds when they're done. Some get hundreds of views with nary a reply and a handful of likes; others get a couple of dozen replies within the day, and I have no idea which will be which...

He's got a lot of "reputation" points, which suggests that generally, people round here are pretty happy with what he's posting: I just don't see what's the big deal about the fact that he posts a lot more than most of us  -- we should be so lucky. IMHO, life's too short to get bent out of shape about things like that when we could be building models...

best,

M.

• Like 19

People  complaining about too many model builds on a modelling forum. That must be a first!

The guy's prolific, there's plenty of people who enjoy his work. With all due respect, is it that hard to press the "load more content" button a few times? I always use the View New Content feature and that means scrolling past lots of content that doesn't interest me, such as the four word stories and The Great International Grump Off, but it is what it is and it's a small price to pay in the scheme of things. 

IMHO one of the things that sets Britmodeller apart from the other modelling sites is the welcoming nature and I think it would be a very sad day when we discourage people from sharing their work here, no matter how frequently. 

Cheers,

Mark. 

• Like 14

Well from a moderation point of veiw I can see no issue. 18 odd post over 2 days of built models in the correct area is certainly no issue.

There are no restraints on posting the correct toppics in the correct areas, and in no way would we support any idea of their being "self impossed" limits if everything is above board, in the correct areas and there is no problems with the topics.

Julien

• Like 9

• Julien locked this topic