Me 262 A1a/U3

Greg Law

I have an absolute disaster on my hands. The flat coat I just put on both planes has ruined them. I have a far to flat finish which is blotchy with a white dusty look.

Is there anything I can do? 

Nooooo.... this cannot be happening Greg!!  

I'd first try to reapply your Gloss coat over one area (say lower Hori Stabs) and see if this restores it back to what it once was. The White dusty look occurs when you have either applied too much matting agent to your mix or are spraying at too high a pressure and probably from too far back. I hope this helps. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

After the advice from Dave and my LHS I gave it a coat of semi gloss. 

I semi clear coated the planes. The test seemed to improve things so I went for it. The problem came at the end when the blotchy areas

returned on the Recon plane. The bomber is a lot better. I have heavily polished the Recons wings again which has improved it, but

the blotchiness is still there although a lot lighter.  Now I think I can get away with it as weathering, all going well. I will add some oils to

it when it's properly dry. 

Unfortunately we have humid weather here at the moment and it will be wet till Saturday, so I had no choice,

I had to get it done or I wouldn't have any chance of meeting the deadline on Sunday

• Like 1

Ok here is the recovered planes. If  you look carefully you can see some residue where the engine joins the wing. I'm calling this weathering. This morning 

this was all over them. Also your first look at the canopy.

Me 262-B 17

Me 262-B 18

• Like 7

Seems you've recovered these two gems quite well Greg. I do prefer a semi gloss over pure matt look, however do understand that this is all subjective to one's modelling tastes. Let's hope for more positive vibes from here till the end. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Dave,

You jinks me. Now one of the landing gear structs have disappeared. I will have to use one from another kit.... All the stuffing around ended with the gear fulling off the plane without me noticing

and I only found out when I noticed one on the floor. The other hasn't turned up. I will do one more hunt in the morning. 🕵️‍♂️

arrr the joys of the final bits of a build! Sounds like you went just a wee bit too far with the Flat coat, I've had that happen before while trying to get a really flat finish (but interestingly it's exactly what you want to happen with a very sun-bleached finish, I've been playing with that). As Dave said the only way to correct that is to respray it Semi or Gloss, it can also help to first give the affected area a light rubbing over with a soft cotton cloth to help knock back the flat finish.

I'm having similar issues with my Sturmtiger 2 days ago, 3 small bits had departed the bench at high velocity never to be seen again! :wall:

But keep at it, you're nearly there and they're both looking great! :thumbsup:

Ok Landing gear is on both planes. Bit of a nightmare so probably isn't perfect, but it will do me. I think the replacement plane has turned up so I will be able

to add the correct aircraft number on to the bomber. 

Now one of the gear legs broke on the bomber. I give up for the day. 

I should have given up for the day. Now I've broken the same leg of the other plane.

I've lost interest in this. I will just get them done as best I can and leave it at that. 

The gloss has gone off them as far as I'm concerned. No longer happy planes. 

• Sad 1

Don't you hate it when modelers have a tantrum.  In the light of the next morning I've come up with a solution to my problem.  I will be using my jig I bought to do bi-planes.

These Me 262's fits into it very well reducing the chances of further damage.  I did the first RLM66 coat on the centre canopies then went out for the day to pickup five new kits from a friend of mine. Two fw 190A's, one Fw 190D-9, one Fw 189 Owl, and a Me 262 kit to replace the aircraft numbers on the bomber. When I got home there was my last Me 262  in the letter box. So now the mood has improved ready for the final stretch to the finishing line. Oh yes I also got my Do 217N-1 yesterday. 

• Like 1

Here is a few images. I will do the good ones tomorrow as these really don't show it at it's best. It is not perfect, but it is the best my tremor will allow me to do. 

I have been really fighting it the last few days. I might not get the Bomber up in time, but this is the one meant for this group build. 

I've added a few more images that didn't make it to the gallery. I'm afraid the Bomber won't make it as I want to slow down with that one and make

sure I don't get any stupid mistakes like the canopy on the Recon one. Even with the issues on this plane I'm very pleased with it. Photos just don't show

it a good as I see it in reality. Also to note. After waiting for the lead wire to arrive and installing it I appear to have lost it off the front gear. Also

for the life of me I couldn't get that front gear straight, so it is what it is. The canopy is fixed. It must have taken a knock because it was loose. 

Me 262-B 20

Me 262-B 19

Me 262 recon F8

Me 262 recon F7

Me 262 recon F3

Me 262 recon F5

• Like 7

well done on finally getting there Greg!! A few dramas towards the end but you've made it and she looks great.

I do like the camo scheme a lot, very nicely done. :thumbsup:

Everything aside I do hope you enjoyed the build, was great to have you along.

Brilliant work on those Me 262s! Although the camouflage looks great on both, I especially like the camouflage on the recce version. I just might have to make me one of those (after I finally finish my bog-standard fighter version).

Regards,

Jason

• Thanks 1

They both look fab despite your varnish woes. I saw them in the gallery and had to come here to find out what went wrong!

Bomber camouflage looks cooler to me, by a short nose.

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1