Me 262 A1a/U3

Greg Law

Ok, next work in progress of both planes. The bomber still needs it's red nose. The recon's paint work is done. Only clear coating to do. 

I'm hoping the matt coat will even the paint works shine out. 

Me 262-B 11

Me 262 recon 3

• Like 11

It has been mentioned to me that the colours look dull on the bomber. This is because of the photographs. The lighting in these quick progress shots isn't the best as a result I seem to loose a lot of contrast. In reality the colours are rather bright as you will see in the final shots. I have painted the red nose and tail tip now which also help. Next shots of these two planes will be finals.

• Like 2

Thanks guys I'm very pleased with them. I will throw in one last image here. The bomber with the red nose. 

This red nose has costed me dearly.

My Infinity airbrush is stuffed. The problem was caused by me forgetting to take the air valve off when I last gave it a sonic bath 

just before I painted the red nose.

Red paint got right through it even into the air valve. I had to strip it right down and clean everything including the seals.

It must have been under pressure as it even got into the threads of the air valve. After cleaning it I tried it with some thinner

and still got air bubbles in the cup. As a result I have ordered a new set of seals from the US. I expect this means the brush will be 

out of commission for a few weeks. Fortunately I have done all the work I need to do with this air brush. I do my clear coats with a special one

set aside for that. 

If anyone has any thoughts about what else could be causing the bubbles I would be happy to hear them. All screw fittings are firm and checked. 

Me 262-B 12

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Sorry to hear about your airbrush issues Greg. I’m afraid I can’t assist with any troubleshooting however do agree that these 262’s are coming up wonderfully well. 

Cheers.. Dave.

Hi Greg and sorry to hear about your airbrush woes.

This may not be relevant to your Infinity, but on my Iwata Eclipse, air bubbles in the cup indicate a poor seal beteween the nozzle and its holder (this is a tapered metal-to-metal, 'plug and socket' joint).

Hope this helps.

That’s no good at all. You can get the main parts from a place in Melbourne. I think it call the Art Republic.

http://artrepublic.com.au/airbrush-parts/

they stock spares.  Check that the small white Teflon ring behind nozzle isn’t damaged and is really clear, if either it’ll give you the bubbles in the paint bowl. You could try turning this white ring around to give a nice new clean, it worked for me.

18 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

That’s no good at all. You can get the main parts from a place in Melbourne. I think it call the Art Republic.

http://artrepublic.com.au/airbrush-parts/

they stock spares.  Check that the small white Teflon ring behind nozzle isn’t damaged and is really clear, if either it’ll give you the bubbles in the paint bowl. You could try turning this white ring around to give a nice new clean, it worked for me.

In fact all the Teflon rings got paint on them. Even the three in the middle of the brush. How that paint got so far I will never know. 

I spent an hour cleaning everything with Isop thinner. I may have to do it again when the new ring set arrives. If that doesn't work I will get a new nossle. 

I had a look at the site. Looks exactly what I needed yesterday. Never mind. I will used it for future parts.

I bought a Eduard FW 190A-8 yesterday so I could use the shield with the nights head that is in one of the kits schemes on my Blacknights Me 262 in the

+++Film, Fictional and Speculative GB. The setup work for that one is going well. I also bought the kit because for some strange reason I don't have any

FW 190 kits. Now I have two...... 

At the moment I'm decaling the current Me 262's. I'm doing the bomber first. Already stuffed up one side of the tail by putting the Swastika too low and rare ward. 

The other side is too low, but in the correct horizontal position. I really dislike those split Swastikas. The Hobby Boss decals are easy to handle for me, which is a good thing

as I need to do lots of tweaking for get them in the right place. 

oh and a good cleaning solution for airbrushes is just good old plan enamel thinners. It's not as harsh as the Alclad stuff I use to use, but boy it does clean really nicely. Isop thinner works ok but not quite as good.

12 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

oh and a good cleaning solution for airbrushes is just good old plan enamel thinners. It's not as harsh as the Alclad stuff I use to use, but boy it does clean really nicely. Isop thinner works ok but not quite as good.

What about the Tamiya Airbrush thinners?

1 hour ago, trickyrich said:

that should be ok, but a bit more expensive than the thinners you can get from hardware stores, just you that stuff for cleaning only thou

I have a question about removing decals. I have decided to take a step back with the Me 262 decals I have been doing.

The Swastikas look too big to me and are in the wrong position, so I'm thinking of removing them. Is there anyway I 

can remove them without damaging the paint work under them. I have already used Micro sol on them which I suspect 

damages the paint work anyway. I just thought I would ask before I jump in. I have a sheet of Aero Master Swastikas

I can use on these planes. 

here's an image of tail as is.

Me 262 tail

• Like 3

I think that the Swastikas look the corect size to me . I have had a look at the 3 262's iv made and yours looks to be the same . Iv also just applied the Swastikas to my Ju388 and they look to be thw same proportions in relation to size of tail .

I have removed them. Even if they are the right size they are in the wrong place. I will repaint the tail and use whole ones which will be easier to place correctly.

In the mean time I can get the other one done.

3 hours ago, trickyrich said:

they did look like they were incorrect to me either.

Sticky tape often removes decals without too many issues.....have found out the hard way! :whistle:

Rich, Been there done that on my Do 217 build. I lost the decals Dave sent me when masking tape dropped onto one.

These decals seem to settle down very firmly and wouldn't move. I have now resprayed the RLM76 on tail and will do

the RLM82 part later. I think I will use the same larger Swastikas on the bomber. I have used the smaller ones on the recon, 

but I found they were a two layer type which is even trickier to deal with. Fortunately it worked out OK on the Recon, which is looking excellent

with it's main markings on now. 

I gave the airbrush a good clean and a soak in Airbrush cleaner overnight it was totally spotless. Yet I'm still getting bubbles.

Everything is firmed down that is supposed to be. Anyway I'm not panicking, I have ordered a new nozzle set and seal set.

from Art Republic so hopefully that will sort it out. In the mean time I can still use it if I'm careful. Sometimes I still have to learn the hard way. ☹️

I'm getting back to where I was with the Bomber. Clear coat is back on and I will continue with the decaling tomorrow. I'm going to put the kit Swastika on this one.

I hope to get these finished next week all going well. The Recon will go into the Galley the bomber won't. It doesn't really fit into the theme of this group build. 

I did it more as a mate for the Recon plane. Also gave me an excuse for a slow build...😎 It was all about putting off the Recons difficult pattern. 

Once these are done I'm off to do the Beaufort and the Do 335. I might also finally finish off the Typhoon. 

With time getting short I focusing on the Recon plane. There are 35 decals to put on it. This is by far the most I have had to put on any plane. 

Most of them you can hardly see. Then it is a clear coat again then oils to finally ruin it no doubt. Then the gear and finally a matt coat. 

All thirty plus decals are now on the Recon plane. That was a bit of a task for me, but I got there in the end. Tomorrow another coat of clear and work on the landing gear. 

I also have to try and mask the centre part of the canopy as it will be open. All due also are now on the bomber now. By the way I have bought another kit of the bomber, so I can replace the aircraft numbers and have a complete plane. The recon is ready for it's landing gear so I'm sorting them out today. They are resin ones. The bomber will get kit ones.

• Like 1

All thirty plus decals are now on the Recon plane. That was a bit of a task for me, but I got there in the end. Tomorrow another coat of clear and work on the landing gear. 

I also have to try and mask the centre part of the canopy as it will be open. 

Just to prove I'm not fibbing. Here is the second to last progress shots. The Recon is sitting on it's gear legs. The nose colours are a bit rougher than I would like

because I had trouble with the white and tried hand painting it at one point. I should have known better. I just noticed the wing tip lights still need painting as well. 

Me 262-B 16

This is the Bomber it still needs it's oils etc.

Me 262-B 15

• Like 8