Me 262 A1a/U3

Greg Law

I painted the canopy today on both planes. I decided I needed to have the rear canopy on before I primed it. I think I will use a black base of Mr Surfacer 1500. This should help the overall

finish. 

My real fun today was Buying a Tamiya Gloster Meteor F.1 and the other day I bought a Monogram Lockheed F.8. These should round off my jet shelf nicely.

The idea is to have a set of jets based on the last year of the war. All of which existed. I would like a Meteor F.3, but they seem to be hard to get.  By the way none of these are for this group build.

I have to get the Me 262 done for here. I'm always a bit slow at getting the final finishing done before painting. I can never make up my mind if it is good enough.

I was going to add an image, but flickr is down. 

• Like 3

Ok this is the progress. Just to show the Do 335 hasn't taken over this project.

Me 262 5

This is the black base. It is the Black Mr Surfacer 1500. I think I might have a few issues on the bottow of the Engines that need sorting. The top seems Ok.

Me 262-6

• Like 3

Not far off Rich. I found a problem last night on the recon one. I had mixed up the panels that are under the cameras, so I have cut them off and stuck them on the plane. Hopefully it will be ok.

Just slow me down a couple of days. 

Greg.

These look good. You commented on my mustangs going the way of your second 262, but both of these 262s are looking close to the finish line to me,

Alan 

On 01/06/2019 at 09:36, Angus Tura said:

Greg.

These look good. You commented on my mustangs going the way of your second 262, but both of these 262s are looking close to the finish line to me,

Alan 

Yes they are getting there. However, they are taking longer than I would like. Partly because of having to do the Bomber one twice and partly because my real life work projects have been a bit intense lately. 

Today I do the mottling for the pre-shading. 

On 27/05/2019 at 09:46, trickyrich said:

in black they look they look really mean!

will be nice to see colour on them, looking forward to that. 

Yes they do. I rather like it. I don't know if you have read the books about the SS Stuka squadron called the black nights. Totally fantasy, but based around real events.

I wouldn't mind doing one of these with their markings. Only to give a Black Me 262 some relevance. 

Next stage is pre-shading the black base. I have used two different styles.

The first one was the mottle method.

I did this as a test of final squiggle effects. I tried different types from wider squiggles to very fine ones.

Then I went over it to reduce the effect of the fine ones. I think with a bit more practise I should be able to

do this squiggle scheme properly. 

The second is the main project. This one I had worked out the airbrush setting better by the time I got onto it.

This is to give more of a panel effect. It is really the underside that will benefit from it.  

Me 262-7

• Like 6

Rich you will be pleased to know I have painted the under surfaces in the finished RLM76. I used Mr hobby Acrylic with Mr leveller Thinner and my HS Infinity airbrush. It worked real well.

I made sure I used all the paint. 

Sounds like you have all the right gear for painting....pity their first flight will be cut short by a Skyknight waiting for them!!! :D

Nice work with the pre-shading squiggles though....still won't help!

• Haha 1

This is the Recon plane. I have painted the RLM82. Stupidly forgot to angle the airbrush to get a subtle edge. However I also forgot to mask

the engines which turned out to be an advantage, as I free handed them and it came out really well.

Me 262-8

• Like 3

It's done.................. My nightmare job is done.  This is the job I have been dreading. It isn't perfect and was done in bad light during a storm. 

I couldn't work on the computer, so I decided to go for it and this is the result. It's the best I can do I'm afraid. It does look a bit better in reality. 

I'm thinking I might do a very misty over spray of RLM82 which is the light green base colour. Although I think a matt coat at the end will do the job. 

Me 262-9

• Like 13

Got to be happy with that mate!! Some times you’ve just got to get on with it and see how things go. You won big time on this 262 Greg. Time to wrap her up now. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

The next step for me is the nose colours. I have decided to paint them. The only real issue is the red fine line. That will be tricky. 

I have decided not to do panel lines on it, as these planes had them puttied over. Also if I do it it will show the riveting that shouldn't be there.

Wheel wells will get it. Weathering will be minimal as these were quite new. 

Today the bomber will get it's extra coat of RLM76. That will be a tricky scheme as well. It will be done free had I think.

No work done today except for the money making type. One thing I did do was setup

my project idea for the up and coming Film, Fictional and Speculative GB.

This will be a fictional plane based on the book series the Black knights.by Leo Kessler.

I liked the black basing, so decided this might be an opportunity to do a black Me 262.  

Black night9

• Like 1

Todays effort was to paint RLH82 part of the Bombers scheme. This went quite well I can see some touch up areas I will have to do once it had dried.

The other thing was the Red and blue banding on the Recon's nose. The red went ok with just a minor run, but the blue went really badly. The mask seemed

to detach, as a result I will have to repaint the with area tomorrow. Here is my progress on the bomber. I know it looks a bit rough, but I'm hope things will

improve once I have touched up the RLM76 area a bit, then applied the RLM75 areas. I can see this taking a few days by the time it is done. 

This is my first attempt at a free hand scheme. I will only mask the red nose and tail tip.

Me 262-B 10

• Like 8

Good progress on both planes. The nose painting on the Recon plane went well this time.

I painted the Bomber with RLM81 rather than RLM75 which is a grey and looked nothing 

like the picture I posted above while RLM81 looks exactly like it. I chose this scheme 

because of the picture colours hence the decision. I should be able to add a picture here

tonight. I just need to touch up the RLM82 a bit and add the missing spots on the tail. 

• Like 1