Modelling for beginners, the essential PCI

Stalker6Recon

After several attempts at locating information that I need, I determined that maybe this has never been done before and should possible have it's own forum partition.

I will get to the skinny of my request. Basically, what should a beginning modeller have in their workstation if starting from scratch, before they ever open their first kit and begin building? I.e. For modern warplanes, a beginner should have airbrush, compressor, a list of paint codes to have for, say US Navy aircraft, as well as paints that are used for non-FS painting, but will be used often. Basically the list of all paints a modeller should have in their everyday colors, then the paints for specific color call-outs. This is in military terms, a PCI (pre-combat inspection). Make surs you got the right gear before you go out and pick a fight, I hope to acheive the same for beginners like me.

Hand brushes, sandpaper (what level of grit) puddy (type and why) exacto knife with different blade shapes and their uses, panel line tool, weathering effects and washes, decal solutions, thinners field both enamel and acrylics, paint tent/box, ventilation.

Anyway, I am new (again, after a 30 year layoff) to modelling, and things have changed a lot, mostly the quality has gone up I hope, and the aftermarket has exploded for upgrades and conversions. Having a workstation with the basic tools and paints to begin, is itself stressful. I would hate to start a kit, only to find out that I need a certain tool or paint or whatever, and all progress halts until the missing aspect arrives.

This could be added to each group of modellers with a list of the basic paints used on almost all kits of that genre, and an explanation of how to determine the specific paints required. This could be fun for the more experienced modellers, see who has the best list, make a contest out of it.

Mostly though, I really need to know that I have at least the minimum tools and paints/glues/overcosts required to begin my first build.

Hope to hear from you all soon and thanks in advance, sincerely, Stalker6recon

Edited by Stalker6Recon
Forgot to explain what PCI means.

Stalker,

You've got a good list already.  If I were starting out again, or on a budget, here's what I'd get:

1. A good quality hobby knife
  2. A good sized cutting mat to protect your furniture
  3. A bottle or two of thin/extra thin cement.  The tubes of glue that you get in 'starter sets' aren't the best to work with, in my opinion.
  4. A bottle of PVA glue for clear parts
  5. Paints of your preferred brand and colour.  Enamels, Acrylics, it's up to personal preference.
  6. A selection of good quality paint brushes
  7. A selection of good quality tweezers
  8. A selection of good quality files
  9. A pair of hobby scissors
  10. Sanding sticks in various grades
  11. A tube of putty
  12. A can of thinner
  13. A can of brush cleaner

Above all, a new modeller (or returner) should have a kit that they like and want to build.  In your case, it looks like you've already identified your interest.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Julien said:

lease post in the right area as this was in Modern Aircraft.

That was sort of my point. For the new members that don't know their way around, and as I said, I looked, this seemed like the next logical step. Maybe there should be a list for each genre, giving those who plan on doing WWII gear, a starting point. Then another one for gamers, the paints they will use are far different than what a modern military aircraft modeller will need, even the tools are likely different to a degree. That was sort of my point, and the fact that even after typing in a few search queries, I could still find nothing that helps a total beginner, who probably feels overwhelmed and maybe even scared to create a post. That should not be the goal, we need to support one another and our local stores, we need to make sure this art form grows, not dies. A young bloke (trying to sound Brit) must feel welcomed, not be admonished for posting in the wrong place, where there seems like and endless amount of places one could start. Hope you understand, sorry if I put this in the wrong place, but it seemed to fit considering.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BlackAck said:

Stalker,

You've got a good list already.  If I were starting out again, or on a budget, here's what I'd get:

1. A good quality hobby knife
  2. A good sized cutting mat to protect your furniture
  3. A bottle or two of thin/extra thin cement.  The tubes of glue that you get in 'starter sets' aren't the best to work with, in my opinion.
  4. A bottle of PVA glue for clear parts
  5. Paints of your preferred brand and colour.  Enamels, Acrylics, it's up to personal preference.
  6. A selection of good quality paint brushes
  7. A selection of good quality tweezers
  8. A selection of good quality files
  9. A pair of hobby scissors
  10. Sanding sticks in various grades
  11. A tube of putty
  12. A can of thinner
  13. A can of brush cleaner

Above all, a new modeller (or returner) should have a kit that they like and want to build.  In your case, it looks like you've already identified your interest.

Thanks, awesome list! Just a few details if you don't mind. What is PVA glue? I live in the Philippines, everything needs to be locally sourced and usually converted to a local brand, scary, or ordered online, expensive. Also, sanding sticks, is that something you buy, or you make? I bought a few sheets of 2000 & 2500 grit sandpaper, I want to go slow on all my sanding, as a new guy, they are wet/dry too, so bonus. Have you ever noticed that things cost 3x more if they have a specialty tag attached to them? I looked for sanding sticks, and could not find them, then I had a moment of clarity, they sell truck loads of nail polishing sticks by the half penny, they have four grades of grit and can turn nails into mirrors, so I bought some of those. The also bough some angled nails clippers, looks like angle cutters, only a lot smaller and sharper, great for cutting parts from the sprue, I hope. I am in a bad part of the world for modellers, of course they make the kits here, but they don't build them. Actually, bit off topic, there is a Tamiya plant near my home that offers tours... I plan to grab what I can and hit the doors running (jk) when I visit, should be fun, I will post pictures when I go.

Anyway, thanks for the tips, I guess I am almost there, just a few more odds and ends and I can get started. See you on the dark side!

1 hour ago, Stalker6Recon said:

That was sort of my point. For the new members that don't know their way around, and as I said, I looked, this seemed like the next logical step. Maybe there should be a list for each genre, giving those who plan on doing WWII gear, a starting point. Then another one for gamers, the paints they will use are far different than what a modern military aircraft modeller will need, even the tools are likely different to a degree. That was sort of my point, and the fact that even after typing in a few search queries, I could still find nothing that helps a total beginner, who probably feels overwhelmed and maybe even scared to create a post. That should not be the goal, we need to support one another and our local stores, we need to make sure this art form grows, not dies. A young bloke (trying to sound Brit) must feel welcomed, not be admonished for posting in the wrong place, where there seems like and endless amount of places one could start. Hope you understand, sorry if I put this in the wrong place, but it seemed to fit considering.

There is a paint section, please use that for paint irrespective of the era, type of model etc. We will not be putting a separate on into each topic. Just navigate around the forum and you will see where to post. If not ask and someone will point you in the right direction.

Julien

Morning.

Nail polishing sticks area good substitute. PVA glue is the water based stuff used for wood. It looks like milk, but dries clear. Good for filling gaps in transparancies too. If you stuff up, you can remove the part, clean off the glue and try again. It's good for airliner windows and the like, but being water soluble, benefits from a clear acrylic varnish afterwards.

Don't worry, Julien has had a long night, and our few Mods spend an inordinate amount of time 'housekeeping' the site,

He'll have a go at me later. 😜

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I actually disagree with the premise that you need all thus stuff to get started. Some things are essential, e.g. suitable cement/glue, others strongly recommended, e.g. files/sandpaper, others can wait and be built up as you progress. For painting I'd start with a selection of decent brushes, the paint colours listed for the first model and a clear coat to seal the decals. Add thinner and brush cleaner.  If you start with an airbrush the choice of paint type may be different than if you only use brushes. With each new model add only the new paint colours, and you'll slowly build up a good range of colours. Try adding one new technique (with the relevant new tool if needed) with each build - if you try too many new things at once you'll likely get frustrated.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Chimpion said:

I actually disagree with the premise that you need all thus stuff to get started. Some things are essential, e.g. suitable cement/glue, others strongly recommended, e.g. files/sandpaper, others can wait and be built up as you progress. For painting I'd start with a selection of decent brushes, the paint colours listed for the first model and a clear coat to seal the decals. Add thinner and brush cleaner.  If you start with an airbrush the choice of paint type may be different than if you only use brushes. With each new model add only the new paint colours, and you'll slowly build up a good range of colours. Try adding one new technique (with the relevant new tool if needed) with each build - if you try too many new things at once you'll likely get frustrated.

Actually, while I agree with most of your argument, especially those on a limited budget, there are some flaws as well. I have noticed that many of the paints needed for a specific kit, come in two dirrent forms, which then jams up the goal of staying within one paing type. For instance, most of the F-15 can be painted using water based paintz from tamiya or vallejo, but the tail/exhaust might need to be a metalizer that is only available in enamel colors from the same paint company. Then the idea of staying within one paint group goes out the window. From my researching, I am to believe that paint brushes should be kept seperate as not to contaminate one with the other, so a set of two 00 brushes may be needed. As far as the paints go, I remember a time when the front page of the instructions had all the needed paints listed, only to find a call-out during construction of a color not listed at the start. Maybe that is why it is best to read through the instructions fully before beginning. But, it is probably also true that there are basic colors that you should buy, which are almost always used for specific details, like cockpits or little green men that sit in them. I don't know what those basic colors are just yet, and it would be nice to get an idea of that before I start my first build. My situation is unique though, as I don't have a corner hobby store to make a quick run to, and by the missing ingredient. For me, no matter what it is, I have to place an order and have it shipped to my home, which is a long and slow process of anxiety, the will it arrive or vanish into the winds, such is the postal system of a third world country. The closest hobby shop that I have found, is in Manila, and even they have limited stocks of equipment.   On the whole, I agree with your argument, probably a wise and thrifty way to begin. You don't need US Navy paints if you are doing airforce aircraft. But if you have limited local stock and must order pretty much everything under the sun AND the sun, best to get it all in one go. Having finished 90% of a build, only to shelve it while you wait for the donkey to cross the mountain ridge with the decal set, would be an act of sheer frustration, at my age, frustration is to be avoided. Come to think of it, maybe modelling is not the best route for agina patients!   Thanks for your input, it adds flavor to the conversation!

Personal I think you are taking it all a little too seriously. This is supposed to be an enjoyable, relaxing hobby – something to help cope with stress and anxiety, not cause it. The basic tools required vary from one person to the next, so a definitive list is the wrong way to go. You suggest that an airbrush and compressor is a necessity, but I have seen many builds that were brush painted that look fantastic.

I'm concerned that such a comprehensive 'must-have' list of tools is more likely to put off people who are new to the hobby, it may make them think that a lot of money needs to be invested, even before they know if it's the right hobby for them, which is not the case at all. I have seen a young female modeller on another site who has just a few very basic tools (similar to what I had when I was a kid) and yet she manages to make some very decent models. If she thought she had to have a shed load of expensive tools before she even started on a model, she may not have started in the first place.

For any new modellers reading this thread, you don't need a a lot of tools or paints, and don't feel you need to produce models to a certain standard, you just need to enjoy yourself and have fun.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Gorby said:

For any new modellers reading this thread, you don't need a a lot of tools or paints, and don't feel you need to produce models to a certain standard, you just need to enjoy yourself and have fun.

I absolutely agree with what you said. As a beginner when I was a boy, I started with snap-together kits, some bad brushes and testors enamals. The kits wers darn ugly, but they were mine and I loved them all the same.

You are right, it is supposed to be fun, and my anxiety is more about excitment than torment, I just want to hit the ground running. I am sort of an anomaly, not really a beginner, but far behind the curve when it comes to all the new aftermarket parts and upgrades. When I finish a model, I really just want it to take off and fly away, thats the kid in me.

So for true begginers, usually a child without the means, this list does not apply. For an adult that knows they love the art, it really is a good start list, and there is no airbrush/compressor in the list, that can come later for sure.

My main reason for posting this, is my unique situation, where almost everything must be ordered via ebay, or some stores that ship here. I wanted to consolidate the items I need, and hopefully buy it all in one go, save me tonnes of money on shipping and import duties.

As I am new to this site, which by the way is awesome, some modellers set the bar very high, and the best part, we try to help eachother out. Encouraging people to try new things, go beyond their main genre and learn a great deal about the history behind their kits.

I have been dormant for a while because I had no space to work, and our cats would have destroyed anything I tried to build anyway. Now in a new home, I have my own workspace, free from cats and dogs, and I am almost ready to begin my first kit, that is very exciting to me. I just want to be absolutely certain that I have everything I need before I begin. I probably set my goals too high, but that is the only way to get better. And of course the centuries of experience you guys bring to the table is priceless to me. For me, asking these questions is a form of flattery almost, a bow down to those with greater knowledge that inspire people like me to go the extra mile. That is why I joined this community.

• Like 2

Thanks to everyone that gave advice/encouragement on this seemingly out of place post, I hope to find my way around the site and do better at location the next time. I have decided that after all the back and forth, to just throw in the towel and quit modelling all together. Just kidding, I decided that the time for debate and worry are over, and I have put one of my AH-6J's on the table, the build has begun. As it is a conversion, the first order of business is to removed both front and rear doors, which are part of the frame. This was done first using my exacto handle with a sewing needle, scoring the lines over an over again. This worked pretty good, the occasional slip outside the line must now be sanded away though.

Then I tried my new mini-saws with less success, but I did learn how not to remove plastic from a kit. It worked, but it left a jagged mess behind, I just hope that it will clean up ok.

So again, thanks to you all, I will try to post some more info and photos for scrutiny on my profile. Any words, good or bad, are certainly welcome, as are tips to help me move along. I have never used resin/PE, so any tips to avoid disaster would be greatly appreciated. Sincerely, Anthony Stalker6recon D'Agostino

• Like 1

Chap, you are overthinking this, and all the goodies in the world do not trump the fact you will not produce models to the very highest standard without years of practice and bucket loads of patience.  

As long as you have glue, something to cut the plastic off the sprues and some basic colours crack on.  Do not wait, just get on with it.

First model a conversion ?  Build it out of the box, nice and simple, follow instructions.  Finish the model, rinse and repeat.

And as for where to put your posts, don't worry about it, very few others will.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PLC1966 said:

First model a conversion ?  Build it out of the box, nice and simple, follow instructions.  Finish the model, rinse and repeat. 

Well its not really my first model, and surprisingly, I can build the entire interior via the kit, or the resin and install whichever come out best to the finished fuselage of this specific kit, it is that open, so bonus. Besides, I have a second kit for any destructive mistakes. I like going big early, life is too short. I won't put a scratch in the PE or the resin until I have exhausted my brain with reading copious amounts of information and watching even more videos as well. I am not very impressed with the PE seat belts as well. Today, I came across some decorative cloth used to tie gift boxes with, I plan to get a few feet in white, then lay it on some duct tape, color via sharpie and paint, see which looks betters, then cut into strips. Maybe found a way to make belts that look and act like the real deal.

It may not end up to my standards, but as long as I come away having gained knowledge, it will be ok with me. I will start sharing pics on my profile, feel free to come by and slap me around for being so bull headed! Cheers!

• Like 1

Quick update on the dreaded list. I did listen to as much advice as I have been give and used a window of opportunity to buy quite a bit of supplies for my modelling job box.

This store has mainly tamiya products, so that is what I bought. My next buy will cover different brands for different tools/paints etc..

I scaled back my saved cart from last year, taking the advice of many NOT to buy so many tamiya paints markers, but I still bought some primary colors that will be used for touch ups and tiny jobs. The colors are X-1 black, X-2 white, X-7 red, MP-7 silver, and X-12 gold. The red is mainly to  line panel doors. The others for ordinance painting/tough up.

I also bought two each of tamiya panel line wasbes, black, brown and grey. Lots of good reviews on these, with "how too's" as well.

Two tubes of 87095 Putty White Tube, two extra thin glue, elmers wood glue in white, 4 rolls of tamiya 18mm masking tape in yellow.

Then, I bought Mr. Hobby GT34 Mr. Almigaty Clip II, plus two each of Mr Surfacer 500 and 1000. The GT34 looked really nice and useful, plus it was cheap, good combo for budget minded people that are looking to remove stress from building and enjoy if more with ease products.

Next month, I plan to buy a new knife, already have one, but two is easier than constantly switching blades. Cutting mat (yet to find) tweezers (i have two already, but want reverse ones as well), sissors and brushes (I found a nice set of brishes on Amazon.com with thousands of positive ratings from plastic modelers), along with a super set of powder based weathing sets, six sets total for years of weathing needs, I will buy two, they look so  nice and have also tonnes of 5 star ratings!

51zT9nc-esL._AC_SY400_.jpg

71WzoVZDhHL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Wish me luck and the lottery, so I can continue to grow my tools while I slowly work my first build in thirty plus years!

Thanks for the help and support, Anthony Stalker6recon