Airfix Victor K2

Jabba

I am currently making the Airfix Victor K2 and have a couple of questions to ask.

Firstly I am about to add the underwing fuel tanks and will be having the flaps extended. In the kit instructions it says to cut a small amount of plastic from parts J 29 & 30, but does say how much. Does anyone have any recommendations as to how much plastic should be removed?

Secondly the bomb aimers window in the nose. The aircraft that I will be making has these all covered over. From what I can find out about these I think that some aluminium sheeting was used to cover them, but were they placed over the top of the glazed part or made as insert for the framing?

Any help will be gratefully received.

I can’t get to my Victors to check the flaps aspect but I think it’s been covered in another thread on this august forum recently.  In essence the tank tailcone is pivoted at the top of the tank body and, as the flaps lower, the rear tip of the tail cone runs along a track on the flap undersurface.  From memory I think there’s a recess or ridge moulded inside the tank tail cone to show how much to remove.

With regard to the bomb aimers windows the glass was replaced with alloy panels, not simply plated over.  During the Falklands War the RAF had to scour their spares inventory for serviceable glass panels to allow some of the Victors to undertake photographic reconnaissance tasks 

As a matter of interest which jet are you modelling?

Thanks both for your answers, especially the photos of the nose. I was to try and fit some thin plasti card in the model, but I do not think that I have any thin enough so I will just fill them and sand back. As for the fuel tanks I think that I will fit the forward part and then set up the flaps and the fir the rear portion to match.

As for the actual aircraft that I am building, I am not sure at the moment but it will be one of the Gulf ones.

I got to my Victor earlier today and there is a ridge moulded inside the tank tail cone to use as a guide to cutting it back for the lowered position.  Of course you could always do it “just like the real thing” and thin down the side walls of the main part of the tank so that the lower part of the tail one can slide inside it when in the lowered position (runs away bravely and dives bravelier for cover.....).

Can I suggest you go to my pics in the Walkaround section  - here: 

Pic #9 shows your nose windows and (I think) #23 shows the rear of the tank with the flaps part extended - the black line is the rubber seal for the hinged portion (many of  those seals evident under the Victor!) Not e also the little roller set into the rear of the tank fairing to allow the Fowler type flaps to move out.

Hope this helps

Rick

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 9:11 PM, stever219 said:

I got to my Victor earlier today and there is a ridge moulded inside the tank tail cone to use as a guide to cutting it back for the lowered position.  Of course you could always do it “just like the real thing” and thin down the side walls of the main part of the tank so that the lower part of the tail one can slide inside it when in the lowered position (runs away bravely and dives bravelier for cover.....).

Thanks for this I had a look at the rear parts of mine last night and found what you are talking about. It might just be me but I think that the instructions do not really show this clearly.

I do now have another question after looking at the walkarounds. I was going to ask this later, but now seems a better time. What is the colour of the inside of the flaps, and also the area into which the flaps go into when not extended?

I think that I may know the answer but would like a little confirmation.

Many thanks for all the help so far.

27 minutes ago, Jabba said:

Thanks for this I had a look at the rear parts of mine last night and found what you are talking about. It might just be me but I think that the instructions do not really show this clearly.

I do now have another question after looking at the walkarounds. I was going to ask this later, but now seems a better time. What is the colour of the inside of the flaps, and also the area into which the flaps go into when not extended?

I think that I may know the answer but would like a little confirmation.

Many thanks for all the help so far.

I took these on a very wet dull day so it's not the best, but looking at them on the screen in full size I'd say the top of the flaps are in this case Hemp, with if the airbrake interior is anything to go by aluminium paint? I suspect that if this is the case then the wing interior will be aluminium too? as are the wheel wells doors and legs? 

bvsDus.jpg

bvs4mn.jpg

bvsRHJ.jpg

John  

I've just found an image of XH672 taken from below and behind and the insides of the flap shrouds look to be much cleaner Light Aircraft Grey than the adjacent under wing areas.  When the Victor's wore the Dark Green/Meduum Sea Grey/White camouflage the flap shroud interiors were white.  As Canberra Kid said the upper surfaces of the flaps wear the upper surface colour(s) overall.  Air brake interiors and their bays and undercarriage legs, bays and doors are Aluminium but the radius arms for the 'brakes have a grey anti-ship finish on their upper surfaces.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stever219 said:

I've just found an image of XH672 taken from below and behind and the insides of the flap shrouds look to be much cleaner Light Aircraft Grey than the adjacent under wing areas.  When the Victor's wore the Dark Green/Meduum Sea Grey/White camouflage the flap shroud interiors were white.  As Canberra Kid said the upper surfaces of the flaps wear the upper surface colour(s) overall.  Air brake interiors and their bays and undercarriage legs, bays and doors are Aluminium but the radius arms for the 'brakes have a grey anti-ship finish on their upper surfaces.

Thanks very much indeed. You have confirmed what I was seeing.

Dont pay too much attention  to Bruntingthorpes Victor as she was painted a few years ago in Desert Pink instead of hemp uppers .With the flaps lowered you can still see the original hemp colour. She is literally the last Victor to fly though !

19 minutes ago, Darth Vader said:

Dont pay too much attention  to Bruntingthorpes Victor as she was painted a few years ago in Desert Pink instead of hemp uppers .With the flaps lowered you can still see the original hemp colour. She is literally the last Victor to fly though !

Yes, perhaps so, but it does show the camouflage colour, wrong shade or not extends over the full flap surface.

Jhon 

On 3/30/2019 at 11:19 AM, Jabba said:

Hi Jabba - bit late to the party I know, but....

Pics # 22 and 23 in my walkaround show the flap recesses to be LAG and #57 shows hemp all over on the flap.

BTW - pic #50 shows, quite well, the grey anti-slip coating mentioned by stever219.

HTH
Rick