Academy 1/48 Phantom

I9lHgX5.jpgThis is my second build in a long time. I'm making the F4B into an RAF Phantom in grey/green camouflage as there is a choice of nose cones in the box, I do know it will not be completely accurate but I have wanted a UK Phantom for a long time and I think for me personally it'll be close enough.

H3OgRfF.jpg

I have filed the outside of the engines smooth and shortened them to look closer to the Spey engines and have tinted the windscreen, although possibly too much.

BcZ925q.jpg

So far so good. I will have to rescribe some detail around seams. I got Xtradecal for the markings, I was planning on doing a Royal Navy Phantom but with the choice I decided on RAF, these were the decals I got for a decent price on Hannants.

IGokU9m.jpg

• Like 5

Well slow progress because I don't have a lot of time at the bench, I'm certain the fit issues I've had with the canopy are my doing, well the entire cockpit actually, I say this as I've not seen a single person state that there was any issues when reviewing this. Anyway nevermind that it's on and it's passable for me as I want this to be nice clean model on a stand. I'm a fan of a gloss finish and therefore I will do the dark grey/green camouflage with a gloss finish even if it's not entirely accurate. So far I have got the entire model assembled for painting and I have begun the black nose. The pattern I will be painting is also below and I'm hoping that at some point I'll do all of the versions, I'm definately making a Royal Navy Phantom, although I could not for the life of me find a RN decal set for a Phantom besides the one in this set which has Colonial Navy written on it, which is why I actually got this set.

vV8G12x.jpg

6APKlh7.jpg

• Like 5

Well it's actually an F4B kit I'm working with and the top of the tail in the scheme is as I have done here but I will do the tail sensor on the Revell/Hasegawa kit I've got.

I think my first UK Phantom was probably a B or J kit.  I got a mixed bag of a couple of kits and built one as an FGR2.  Just building a Revell FGR2 now.  These are the two of them

Pb8UV-4pQZSQWdrJ1vaGX8BbCagiYxmAoukzSnDw

The Revell kit is the grey one nearest the camera

• Like 6

Goes together well enough.  Not as complex as the Revell Tornado, which isn’t all bad.  Kit decals seem ok, but I had some left from the 92 Sqn camo one & she looks the part as a 19 Sqn Jet who finished her days just down the road at Wattisham.  Going for good prices too

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Deano353 said:

Very nice mate, is the Revell kit a good kit? 

The 1/48 Revell kit of the UK Phabtom is actually a Hasegawa kit. Yes it is good!

Nice progress by the way!

• Like 2

I did see it written that the Revell kit is actually Hasegawa. I know all about the Revell Tornado, I actually had no issues with that kit. Well there will be more progress later when I get to start the rest of the painting.

W6s675W.jpgWell the paint is on and the progress is going well in my estimation. I do have to touch up the paint as the demarcation lines are a bit too blurred. So far I'm pretty happy.

6zTl7wW.jpgFIoMbi5.jpg

• Like 2

The Dark Sea grey was the colour stated to use as the topside and the green I ised was Olive Drab which was not the listed colour but I think it's a close match at least I think it looks about right. The dark sea grey looked way off in the jar but I think it's pretty spot on now as the grey seems to have a blueish hue. The underside is just light grey and the nose is flat black with Klear.

• Like 1

So I've got the metal parts painted with alclad and also ak interactive metal I have begun the decalling. The stencils here are goimg to be extensive but in the end hopefully look the part. So far I've got the xtradecals on and I'm hoping with the use of microsol they will settle into the panel lines. Anyway here's where I'm at, so far so good, I'm happy with the result so far I just hope the canopy underneath is good and sharp. The finish is abput where I wnat it to be so I'll give one more gloss coat when the devals are all there and apply a wash.

NRTiVfD.jpgjIRpAkw.jpgea58p8G.jpg

• Like 2

I can't call it finished yet as it's not but I don't have the time at the moment to continue so for now it's looking good enough in my mind as it's about 95% finished.

Bra2IlMh.jpg

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bar side said:

Looks good to me.  Always liked the grey green most out of UK Phantom schemes. Is that an F3 Tornado next to it?

No it's the Revell GR4 a really good kit. I like the contrast of modern and old well despite the Gr4 being retired aswell.

5 minutes ago, Deano353 said:

No it's the Revell GR4 a really good kit. I like the contrast of modern and old well despite the Gr4 being retired aswell.

Watched them go past on their farewell.  Stood by the taxiway at Honnington

4J6XDDHWSiNxlVIK7TAsQLdHSt22C_MYWS9OaR13

• Like 2

Best looking combat aircraft in my opinion. It's aggressive ans sleek. Nice photo. I know the F35 is the future at the moment, until Tempest I suppose but the Tornado just looks awesome. Always gonna be my favourite with the Phantom.

I am old enough to remember the pre production demonstrators and the Tornados being the new jet on show.  Loved the Jags, Buccs, Harriers, even the Hunters. Time to make the most of the F-15s at Lakenheath before they go F-35 too

PiPHn6pJtnqFQMcyiDK5pa1hBToMtDPR9ye1X3U1

• Like 1